Smiths Empire/Second Sweep Disassembly

I wasn't planning to get to this non runner right away but someone dunked it in fresh oil and its on the dial and hands (and the inside of the crystal- it is a lot of oil...)

...anyways, my question being- what is the part that gives? Is the little end friction fit? I haven't encountered this before. I guess I've only encountered the canon pinion as the friction piece but its out already...

close 2.jpg

close 1.jpg

Edited by rehajm

• rehajm changed the title to Smiths Empire/Second Sweep Disassembly
2 hours ago, rehajm said:

I wasn't planning to get to this non runner right away but someone dunked it in fresh oil and its on the dial and hands (and the inside of the crystal- it is a lot of oil...)

...anyways, my question being- what is the part that gives? Is the little end friction fit? I haven't encountered this before. I guess I've only encountered the canon pinion as the friction piece but its out already...

close 2.jpg

close 1.jpg

Did the cannon pinion fit over this ? Those train wheel holes are looking pretty rough. I think you are going to have some ropey tg displays digital snowglobe, we are nearly up to xmas though. 

1445594152_close2.thumb.jpg.a01cfa138bd3f45c0c275b3f1b964323-1.jpg

24 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Did the cannon pinion fit over this ? Those train wheel holes are looking pretty rough. I think you are going to have some ropey tg displays digital snowglobe, we are nearly up to xmas though. 

HAHA- I just wrote about this is the other post- yes, that's going to be a problem...

...and yes, the cannon pinion slides over that brass post. I've worked on an economy Rego movement that has many things in common with this one and it has that brass post fixed to the main....

Edited by rehajm

32 minutes ago, rehajm said:

HAHA- I just wrote about this is the other post- yes, that's going to be a problem...

...and yes, the cannon pinion slides over that brass post. I've worked on an economy Rego movement that has many things in common with this one and it has that brass post fixed to the main....

Ahha that was my second question you've just answered. Attached to the main plate hmm, i can see some indentations holding at the base the centre wheel in position. Are you sure it had a cannon pinnon ? Not just the hour wheel.

42 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ahha that was my second question you've just answered. Attached to the main plate hmm, i can see some indentations holding at the base the centre wheel in position. Are you sure it had a cannon pinnon ? Not just the hour wheel.

Have a look…and not sure if you’re referring to that small pointed area of the post just above the plate front and center? I also thought that was a crimp but it is debris suspended in fresh oil like a tin from Sardinia. A gift from the previous owners…

8F6F1ED0-57A3-4588-A962-2CFF737698A0.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rehajm said:

Have a look…and not sure if you’re referring to that small pointed area of the post just above the plate front and center? I also thought that was a crimp but it is debris suspended in fresh oil like a tin from Sardinia. A gift from the previous owners…

8F6F1ED0-57A3-4588-A962-2CFF737698A0.jpeg

I cant say I've encountered that either. Trying to understand why it would be done this way instead of a friction fit to the center wheel

• Confused 1

I went ahead and ran the plates and the wheel with the balance complete through the pearl machine. I’ll see how bad the shake is then likely have at it with the staking set. I can’t see making this more than 5 jewels 😕…if it doesn’t work out the parts tray will go to the wishlist pile looking for a donor watch to give up a healthy main plate I suppose…

4 hours ago, rehajm said:

I went ahead and ran the plates and the wheel with the balance complete through the pearl machine. I’ll see how bad the shake is then likely have at it with the staking set. I can’t see making this more than 5 jewels 😕…if it doesn’t work out the parts tray will go to the wishlist pile looking for a donor watch to give up a healthy main plate I suppose…

The cannon pinion doesnt move with the train then ?

14 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

That's why I've never bought anything with less than 15 jewels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

That's why I've never bought anything with less than 15 jewels.

ya- fortunately I have plenty of those, too…

For me part of the challenge is servicing the unserviceable…and also as a proof of the sunk cost fallacy…

Edited by rehajm

• 1 month later...

Okay, this one's done. I had to...uh, you experts may want to look away...I took the staking set to those lovely pivot holes. Staking Tools and How to Use Them declares an economical movement deserves an economical repair and this one definitely seemed to fit that sentiment. After a few rounds with the hammer the train was rolling freely and without fuss. After letting it run a few days after assembly it sat for a while before I put it on the graph. Amplitude was a little low at a 46 lift angle (is that angle correct?), in the 220s but it didn't move too much in the hanging positions. Beat error was good - 0.1 to 0.3 so I adjusted the time and buttoned it up.  In the wild it is so far surprisingly steady for an old chap...

IMG_1067.jpeg

IMG_1066.jpeg

• Like 2