Introduction

doober

Hi my name is Marko,

I am in Louisiana, a newbie in watchmaking and new to this forum! I have read many of your posts in my learning process and want to thank you all in advance for all the great advice and teaching! I am currently working on a Gruen 512cd movement and I am stuck. I was in the process of oiling the jewels when I broke the mainplate incablock spring. I have attached photos of my journey. I pressed out the incablock from the mainplate using pegwood (marking its depth using a permanent marker) to remove the remainder of the lyre spring. I have been working on trying to reattach a new lyre spring (975.03) for some time now (weekends over the last few weeks, but no more than 2 hours a days-my wife would kill me, and I have been watching the Fifa world cup, lol). I have read through the forum (incl. doing it wrong makes you remember it right -ross jackson). 

1. everything was fine:

481994183_1notbroken.thumb.jpg.5b8820b74ed9eed69cb0fc6e7e17c703.jpg

2. I broke it!

2broken.thumb.jpg.7ff2b3afd41299d5a0244cbf8573a57f.jpg

3. I pressed the incabloc out because I could not remove the remnants of the spring:

955104319_3pressedout.thumb.jpg.67b7fefb4b58a90d7777add5e13e4b61.jpg

4. I am stuck trying to put the lyre spring back into the bloc:

4issue.thumb.jpg.be5b0a06f44ba70deb12f56524707090.jpg

I want to make sure that I am approaching the procedure in a correct fashion and am looking for some advice. This particular spring can/should/maybe? only be opened about 30 degrees (I broke it thinking I should be able to get it up to 90 to remove the jewels...) 

my attempts:

I can get this far (spring at 145 degrees) , but I cannot flip the spring to close it (maybe not physically possible, why I broke it?).

attempt1.thumb.jpg.bc2ee918416157f58bab9f2c6ed623ed.jpg

I have tried attaching the spring at 30 degrees but I cannot get the hinges into the groove (thus no picture...lol). I have read but don't fully understand what has been discussed in the forum - putting rodico against the edge of the incabloc/ in the gap?

should I be approaching this process differently? Suggestions very much appreciated! Thank you all!!!!

12 hours ago, doober said:

Hi my name is Marko,

I am in Louisiana, a newbie in watchmaking and new to this forum! I have read many of your posts in my learning process and want to thank you all in advance for all the great advice and teaching! I am currently working on a Gruen 512cd movement and I am stuck. I was in the process of oiling the jewels when I broke the mainplate incablock spring. I have attached photos of my journey. I pressed out the incablock from the mainplate using pegwood (marking its depth using a permanent marker) to remove the remainder of the lyre spring. I have been working on trying to reattach a new lyre spring (975.03) for some time now (weekends over the last few weeks, but no more than 2 hours a days-my wife would kill me, and I have been watching the Fifa world cup, lol). I have read through the forum (incl. doing it wrong makes you remember it right -ross jackson). 

1. everything was fine:

481994183_1notbroken.thumb.jpg.5b8820b74ed9eed69cb0fc6e7e17c703.jpg

2. I broke it!

2broken.thumb.jpg.7ff2b3afd41299d5a0244cbf8573a57f.jpg

3. I pressed the incabloc out because I could not remove the remnants of the spring:

955104319_3pressedout.thumb.jpg.67b7fefb4b58a90d7777add5e13e4b61.jpg

4. I am stuck trying to put the lyre spring back into the bloc:

4issue.thumb.jpg.be5b0a06f44ba70deb12f56524707090.jpg

I want to make sure that I am approaching the procedure in a correct fashion and am looking for some advice. This particular spring can/should/maybe? only be opened about 30 degrees (I broke it thinking I should be able to get it up to 90 to remove the jewels...) 

my attempts:

I can get this far (spring at 145 degrees) , but I cannot flip the spring to close it (maybe not physically possible, why I broke it?).

attempt1.thumb.jpg.bc2ee918416157f58bab9f2c6ed623ed.jpg

I have tried attaching the spring at 30 degrees but I cannot get the hinges into the groove (thus no picture...lol). I have read but don't fully understand what has been discussed in the forum - putting rodico against the edge of the incabloc/ in the gap?

should I be approaching this process differently? Suggestions very much appreciated! Thank you all!!!!

One method used is to place the chaton holder upside-down, line the the spring up with the insertion gap flat on the bench and push together gently. Now you have both the holder and spring perfectly positioned flat with each other . Then pick up the chaton holder from the spring end, they should hinge up together and the spring locate into place. This is all providing the spring is correct for the holder. Which may not be the case if the spring is only lifting to 30 degrees,  it should lift up and drop back slightly past 90 degrees

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Thanks Neverenoughwatches! I will give it a try. I doubt (but hopefully will be wrong, lol) that it will just flip into place by the force of gravity alone? I watched the youtube videos on incabloc by Kalle Slaap and he makes it look so easy...

should every incabloc lyre spring be able to move from 0 to over 90 degrees when in the incabloc, or are there models that only go to 45 degrees?

Thanks again!!

Thanks Rehajm! I will place the rodico as advised. Hmm... I am not certain about the crushing, but I do not believe so. I used a piece of sharpened pegwood (pencil tip) that did not have contact with the edge of the base. 

sorry about the focus -my phone is not the best camera....

1. this was one approach I tried repeatedly.

attempt2.thumb.jpg.d7e0a0d6295416977c3fe1329ac86c4f.jpg

but when lifting, the spring does not flip:

863400298_attempt4.thumb.jpg.46b1c1f42c3fa326af5422eed72989f6.jpg

2. So I have tried putting the spring into the rodico so that I have some counterforce to put it into position:

1835878793_attempt5.thumb.jpg.4aca31618b20a640e3c5f53f76ce37c7.jpg

but again no success. it does not flip. Cleaning up the rodico off the spring was tedious.

Any suggestions? Thanks again!!!!!!

attempt 3.jpg

I tried a few more attempts and then the spring went flying and is now lost...

I need to order a new spring, but I think that I should just buy an incabloc with the spring loaded if that is possible? Anyone have any recommendations where to order from/how to determine the model I would need? 

thanks again!!!