Ever Heard of Alcydes?

WhiskyLima

Hey all, just got done servicing a 1960's watch (my first in fact) and it seems to be running well and looks decent with the new strap and cleaned up crystal. Just trying to get some more information on this company Alcydes and all I can find is a handful of watches with various PUW movements in them. This watch has the PUW 260 in it which was made in West Germany in the early 60's (quite a bit of information about the PUW company which is fascinating actually). That is about as much as I know but would love to know some of the history behind the company Alcydes if anyone has any info or links to articles about them.

Cheers all, have a great day!

1.jpg

1 hour ago, WhiskyLima said:

Hey all, just got done servicing a 1960's watch (my first in fact) and it seems to be running well and looks decent with the new strap and cleaned up crystal. Just trying to get some more information on this company Alcydes and all I can find is a handful of watches with various PUW movements in them. This watch has the PUW 260 in it which was made in West Germany in the early 60's (quite a bit of information about the PUW company which is fascinating actually). That is about as much as I know but would love to know some of the history behind the company Alcydes if anyone has any info or links to articles about them.

Cheers all, have a great day!

1.jpg

Sorry not heard of that name. Maybe an oscure name of a company that didnt trade for very long ? A jewellers brand name ? Or possibly an offshoot of a bigger more well known brand that wanted to market cheaper watches. This way the cheaper watch was much less associated with the main company so as not to affect its reputation. Keep searching something might crop up. If watchmaker is about he may know. 

Just a reminder who made your watch? As you're aware from your example the movement was made by somebody else. So what you can end up with is a watch manufacturing company is really a company at least it can be who purchases movements and hands and dials and cases and assembles them puts their name on the dial. Or they are C of the dial made for them in the name is printed on them.

For instance I could probably go on look at Amazon right now and find an Elgin wristwatch. Elgin a classic American name of a watch company and how does this relate to the classic company while it has the name Elgin on the dial. That's it so it becomes problematic sometimes with names on dials of knowing who this company is.

Then a course for a repair point of view when buying a watch based with the name on the dial typically a wristwatch you don't get to see the movement and you have no idea at all what is inside the case.

Then of course you end up with a lot of companies for which there is basically very little history of the company. Even a company like Elgin that was in business for 100 years is a lot of its history that isn't really clearly laid out because nobody really care about keeping it technical detail history of the company. I've heard stories of companies of gone out of business where eventually their company records were thrown in the trash can on somebody found them they are and save them otherwise it be no history at all for some of the companies nobody thought that anyone would care about the history of their company many years later

Thanks for the replies guys, I think you are both right in what you say, I suppose the brand name on the front of the watch really doesn't have anything to do with what is going on inside. I did find quite a bit of information and background on the movement manufacturer which is actually quite fascinating so I will settle with that knowledge and move on to the next one I think.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Alcides does not seem to be a commonly known word or term. It may be misspelled, or it may be a less common name or term for something specific. It's hard to give a more specific answer without more context and information.