First Seiko service--thought it would be harder...

I was preparing to fix a Seiko for a friend, but before that, I discovered that I had one in my box-o-watches, so I started with that first.

My dad did not like Seiko for some reason, so I was apprehensive.  Then I had a phone call with @thor447and he put me at ease.  So, I jumped in with both feet.

You see the MS barrel had more than its fair share of grease, so I decided to pre-clean it in some one-dip.  I put it in the jar and using my tweasers, I was swishing it around and all of a sudden it exploded in my face.  Yeah, I was wearing glasses with an eye loupe but the one-dip found its way to my right eye.  It burned as you would imagine.  I ran to get an eye cup to wash it out.  All is well but the barrel could not be found.

By mere happenstance, I had an identical barrel that I had fetched out of the bone pile for @Drewto practice on (he spent a half a day with me yesterday sharing techniques).  So I used that barrel to complete the assembly.

The only difficulty (though minor) was aligning the train wheels under the main plate.  A little hard to see and manipulate.

The crystal was in pretty bad shape, but starting with 350 grit sandpaper and working up to 2000 grit and then polywatch...it turned out nicely.

2022-12-04 13_08_34-20221204_122005.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2022-12-04 13_07_53-20221203_105040.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2022-12-04 13_08_06-20221203_111907.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2022-12-04 13_08_23-20221204_071202.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 1

Great job @LittleWatchShop.  I do enjoy those old Seikos.  That barrel may be the dirtiest one I've ever seen!  Congrats on your first Seiko service.

I just recently finished up one as well.  A cheap 7009-5019 I picked up on eBay for pennies.  After a service, some cleanup on the case with a slight buff on the sides and brushing on the face, and finally a polish to the crystal I think it turned out really well.  The only thing is that it has 19mm lugs, and I did not have a 19mm strap available.  I took a cheap Cousins 20mm strap, and just snipped the edges off to make it fit.  I'm really liking this watch so I'll order a proper 19mm strap, but in the meantime I'll wear it like it is.

57.JPG.8a36a82d04fc1b0b2a81d40a1ca3450c.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Sometimes straps cost more than the watches!...interesting given the difference in the amount of effort that went into each.

Yeah, but this on is a keeper.  I'll put a good strap on it.  I actually have a few watches with those inexpensive Cousins straps that I wear regularly.  I really don't mind them at all.  

• Like 1

Second Seiko service!  The keyless works were messed up.  It showed up with a busted stem.  The new stem would not insert, so I knew something was wrong.  The setting lever jumper was bent upward and disengaged.  Other than the dealing with diashock and kif, it was a pretty uneventful service of the movement.  Well...it did take me close to an hour to service the mainspring.  I realize now that I had the teeth on my winder closed too much, so as I got close to the end, it was binding.  Lesson learned.  I was having trouble getting the stem in.  First time, I knocked the setting lever jumper off track.  I took it off and did another bend'  Had an issue with the casing but it was my own fault--not paying attention.

Trimmed down the stem and installed a new crown.  Seems to be working fine.

This watch has been worked on before...perhaps several times.  That second hand does not look genuine...maybe replaced during a previous service?  Dunno.

2022-12-05 15_21_34-20221205_133017.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 2