Trying to source bezel gasket for seiko case code 7s36-03HO

42 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

? Quite a few of who Col. Do you mean previous members ? Maybe there were problems at one time, it happens in many forums. Members aren't vetted. And comments can be misunderstood. There will always be a few that like to cause new members a problem. Just had one myself on a facebook group this evening he wanted to play games so i played along, he ended up making himself look foolish to anyone reading. What can you do , forget it and move on i say. 

People who gave up on trying to get into watch repair because they were really discouraged at how unwelcoming and hostile and unhelpful the community is to new people.  Again i really noticed this as well right off the bat. this is one of the better places and one of the only ones I still post on for that reason.

• Like 1

Maybe I have been lucky and only hit on good places. The stuff you are describing is indeed reprehensible, however there is no real need to bring that here IMHO. That crap should be left where you found it, no need to be either defensive nor aggressive here, we’re all nice folks and just want to help each other to improve and get better.

my tuppence

Tom

1 minute ago, Birbdad said:

People who gave up on trying to get into watch repair because they were really discouraged at how unwelcoming and hostile and unhelpful the community is to new people.  Again i really noticed this as well right off the bat. this is one of the better places and one of the only ones I still post on for that reason.

It would be really helpful to list specific examples. Nobody can learn if we don't know what the exact example is.

Then is getting into watch repair Is it same as learning to be a an auto mechanic? Both you can go to school for so that seems the same can we make exact same comparisons of various fields to watch repair? Well I like to make a comparison that's not to an auto mechanic. I make a comparison to becoming a doctor why? Doctors have to go to school and study. To do watch repair successfully you should read some books study learn how a watch works. Doctors get to practice did you notice they still call themselves practicing doctors many years after their out of school because there forever practicing. Typically doctors practice on deceased people they don't have to worry about killing somebody yet. Ideally in watch repair you should start practicing with a deceased watch with no intention on saving it just get some practice. Or maybe a clone the 6497 there cheap and nobody cares if it dies a painful death. Because like doctors you need to practice and initially well you need disposable things to practice with. Watch repair and becoming a doctor is very similar there a life time learning experience everybody on this group is still practicing. Some of us are better than others but were still practicing were still learning.

So think of watch repair As a lifetime learning experience and nothing is going to come quick and easy.

Oh then there's this other problem newbies and their expectations which conflicts with what I just wrote up above. They saw the videos they saw how easy it is anybody can learn watch repair no skill or knowledge needed. Then they come to the group with their expectations of how the group should function versus how it does and then there very unhappy the group conflicts with watch repair is easy and anybody can learn no skill required.

Basically we end up with learning watch repair is an interesting endeavor. Takes a long time heck of a lot of practice like forever. Getting spare parts is a pain in the Ass for all of us nobody okay almost nobody. I know people work at Swatch group if they need a part the back room is infinitely deep. But then there also working on very specific calibers they're not trying to work on watches that span the last hundred and some years all of us have parts problems. So yes something as seemingly easy to get a part it should be easy if this is watch repair probably will not be for all of us just newbies.

• Like 4

On 12/10/2022 at 3:49 PM, JohnR725 said:

It would be really helpful to list specific examples. Nobody can learn if we don't know what the exact example is.

Then is getting into watch repair Is it same as learning to be a an auto mechanic? Both you can go to school for so that seems the same can we make exact same comparisons of various fields to watch repair? Well I like to make a comparison that's not to an auto mechanic. I make a comparison to becoming a doctor why? Doctors have to go to school and study. To do watch repair successfully you should read some books study learn how a watch works. Doctors get to practice did you notice they still call themselves practicing doctors many years after their out of school because there forever practicing. Typically doctors practice on deceased people they don't have to worry about killing somebody yet. Ideally in watch repair you should start practicing with a deceased watch with no intention on saving it just get some practice. Or maybe a clone the 6497 there cheap and nobody cares if it dies a painful death. Because like doctors you need to practice and initially well you need disposable things to practice with. Watch repair and becoming a doctor is very similar there a life time learning experience everybody on this group is still practicing. Some of us are better than others but were still practicing were still learning.

So think of watch repair As a lifetime learning experience and nothing is going to come quick and easy.

Oh then there's this other problem newbies and their expectations which conflicts with what I just wrote up above. They saw the videos they saw how easy it is anybody can learn watch repair no skill or knowledge needed. Then they come to the group with their expectations of how the group should function versus how it does and then there very unhappy the group conflicts with watch repair is easy and anybody can learn no skill required.

Basically we end up with learning watch repair is an interesting endeavor. Takes a long time heck of a lot of practice like forever. Getting spare parts is a pain in the Ass for all of us nobody okay almost nobody. I know people work at Swatch group if they need a part the back room is infinitely deep. But then there also working on very specific calibers they're not trying to work on watches that span the last hundred and some years all of us have parts problems. So yes something as seemingly easy to get a part it should be easy if this is watch repair probably will not be for all of us just newbies.

I would say the main things they cite are simply people just being hostile and unhelpful over perfectly reasonable questions that people often dont' even know enough about to search for the answer more than they already have (And they already spent hours seeking it out.), people being downright offended when people point out that they got 3 completely different answers to the same question on 3 different places like "How dare you assume i don't know what i'm talking about?!" then the person leaves in a huff.

I'm not trying to call anybody out or make a big deal of it but I'm saying as somebody who is also trying to get into this and is thinking more and more about getting into it seriously, I've noticed that in general out of all the things i've ever been, complex things also that people go to college for....watch repair/watch making is one of the least friendly spaces i've ever been in to new people. I'm just saying I love doing this, i think every body wants this to be a thing in perpetuity and it will be pretty bad when the current people all retire soon. I can't fathom what will become of this industry. Sinn watches has said even offering paid internship s with the promise of a paying job as a watchmaker they can't find anybody willing to replace their aging out watchmakers.

As another aside. Got the damn gasket in for archives sake the correct part number is indeed 86622310 even though it does not come up as compatible with this case code. It appears once you fit the bezel it deforms the gasket so much it can't be reused. Using a cheap chinese crystal press i got the thing in and managed to...mostly set the damn new crystal in the new gasket. Using the strength of f'ing THORE i managed to get it seated 100% in one side and about 98% in the other, that 2% will drive me nuts but i'm calling it done, if imperfect.

My second watch repair and service is done and i'm so happy to get her back on the wrist. 

PXL_20221218_053124619.thumb.jpg.136c75bf20a531bf5b2b193a338ede7c.jpg

On 12/9/2022 at 3:12 AM, aac58 said:

The Seiko code for the gasket you're looking for is 86622310 (according to Boley.de). Cousins has it in stock (8.15 pounds plus taxes and delivery), I don't know about other suppliers.

This ended up being correct. Appreciate ya and everybody who helped!