Day wheel doesn’t turn when dial is tightened down

Strange thing with my zodiac automatic day/date.

when the dial is tightened down (screws are tightened) the day wheel only partially moves or doesn’t change at all. Date works fine.

The teeth on the back look good and it has a new jumper wheel and screw. 
It’s a 1960’s AS 1687/88 movement.

is it supposed to have a C-clip maybe? It won’t move at all with a dial washer in place… I know it shouldn’t have one but I’m in a pinch to figure this out. 

thanks! 

1 hour ago, Walther2824 said:

Strange thing with my zodiac automatic day/date.

when the dial is tightened down (screws are tightened) the day wheel only partially moves or doesn’t change at all. Date works fine.

The teeth on the back look good and it has a new jumper wheel and screw. 
It’s a 1960’s AS 1687/88 movement.

is it supposed to have a C-clip maybe? It won’t move at all with a dial washer in place… I know it shouldn’t have one but I’m in a pinch to figure this out. 

thanks! 

I don't recall an AS movement needing a clip, maybe the jumper spring isn't fully engaged? Also some 70s movements had metal strips spring fitted into grooves on the periphery of the movement to space the dial appropriately. Any chance of some pics?

• Thanks 1

I had the exact same problem with an AS2066 movement.  When the dial was installed, the day wheel would only partially move or not at all.  The dial was just sitting on top of the day wheel.  I thought I needed a clip or a dial washer of some sort to keep the back of the dial from resting on the day wheel.  It ended up being my dial ring had a crack in it.  It would open up when I seated the dial, thus allowing the dial to sit a little deeper and rub on the front of the day wheel.  I just ended up using an epoxy to repair the plastic dial ring, and then all worked well.   

It may not be the same exact issue for your 1688, but something is causing the dial to sit too deep and rub the day wheel, thus causing your issue.  Just try to temporarily loosen the dial screws, bring the dial up about 1mm and tighten it back down, giving it a little space between it and the day wheel.  See if that (temporarily) fixes your wheel movement issue.  If it does, there is something causing those two to touch.  Either the dial is being seated too far down, or the day wheel isn't sitting down far enough (or possibly not perfectly flat - doesn't take much for one of those to rub the back side of the dial).

Edited by thor447
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your input!! 
I’ll post some pics. I did space the dial on the dial ring about 1mm or so and it still stopped the wheel. So I noticed the screws would pull the feet downward and cinch the dial flat against the dial ring… looked strange so I lubed the feet and the screws didn’t do that any longer and the wheel seemed to be ok. 
I ran a few days and no issues so I’m letting it sit overnight to see if it will change on its own power… 

I do have another issue and that is it won’t allow me to manual wind when the automatic bridge is installed. The click just sits in a backward position and it won’t wind. Any thoughts?

thanks again I really appreciate it and will post pics tomorrow… 

3 hours ago, Walther2824 said:

I do have another issue and that is it won’t allow me to manual wind when the automatic bridge is installed. The click just sits in a backward position and it won’t wind. Any thoughts?

Most people on this forum are far more qualified than I am, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd think there is something off in your automatic winding works.  Something in there is not working correctly, and holding your ratchet wheel in place, not allowing it to move.  You have one of the wheels off in some sort, or bent teeth, etc., thus not allowing free movement between the parts.  Something in the automatic works is off.

Edited by thor447
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thor447 said:

Most people on this forum are far more qualified than I am, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd think there is something off in your automatic winding works.  Something in there is not working correctly, and holding your ratchet wheel in place, not allowing it to move.  You have one of the wheels off in some sort, or bent teeth, etc., thus not allowing free movement between the parts.  Something in the automatic works is off.

4 minutes ago, Walther2824 said:

I tend to agree and maybe once I post some pics… someone might see an issue.

I did disassemble the auto works and think I got it back together correctly  but maybe there is a fault, in said assembly, that I didn’t recognize.

The rotor spins fine and it engages the pre-ratchet wheel and it works bi-directionally so well have to see…

thank you all for your help!! 

As you can see the rotor does wind the ratchet wheel and the click will move to a new position but won’t go back to hold the ratchet wheel from unwinding so the rotor must be keeping it from unwinding. 
the winding stem does not work when the automatic works are installed. 
maybe it only winds by the rotor like some Seiko’s do?

anyway this is a strange one

thanks in advance for any input

21A8152E-1F85-4648-A500-AA63B496BF71.jpeg

D567212C-A27D-4FFC-8909-33ABB8A23F24.jpeg

4F85D393-D919-4E02-BDC6-AF533E47614B.jpeg

DF103904-6D23-495C-A8AB-87E7AC0D3789.jpeg

6AE9BB96-609F-4341-8B67-C8E92DFBFD37.jpeg

2CECB7C2-63B4-43D4-AEE3-E47787E15E33.jpeg