Mainspring winders at an unbelievable price

Paul80

38 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Do the wind right. Place it in the washer. Turn the washer over and push the spring into the barrel as though it were a new spring.

Ah.  I get it now.  I can see doing something 3D printed along those lines.

13 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Can't afford a 3D printer, hence the purchase of the brass rings. However I am considering https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175589279744 as one of the spigots on No. 7 3135/2824 has worn way, broken.

I only had partial success with that 3D printed winder setup.  Trying to get the staple hooked into the eye is not so easy.  So, I decided to give this inexpensive set at try.

So, you wore away the hook on the arbor of that one? 

9 hours ago, gpraceman said:

So, you wore away the hook on the arbor of that one? 

Yes. It was before I had made the washers for the reversal input. I'm sure I had, by winding the wrong way, worn away the spigot.  Tried to file the flat edge to make the spigot again, but my files are not fine enough. I can use the other winders now, so I don't really think I have a problem. 

48 minutes ago, kd8tzc said:

I'm confused as well.

The washer is just to hold the spring, once the spring is wound and contained in a ring or sleeve it can be pressed out in either direction just by spinning the ring over. The winder coils up the spring, the spring is then pressed into the ring or sleeve ( a brass washer makes a good containment ring ) . The spring is then pressed from the washer into the barrel. 

Okay, so the spring is INSIDE the hole of the washer then. 

How many different sized washers do you need then?  One different one per or can you consolidate these to some extent?

That's a really slick idea.

EDIT: on that worksheet in the picture that @rossjackson01 had (LINK), what does the column DISK indicate?  The washer inner (hole) diameter?  I'm assuming then Outer diameter and inner diameter are the inner and outer diameters for the winder itself?

Edited by kd8tzc

measurement on box. Forget 'disc'. That is just the size of the cylinder holding the winder. Like the outside diameter of the washer.

Outer. Maximum size of the for for insertion into the barrel. If it is bigger than the barrel then it will not fit. You would not try to insert a new spring into a smaller diameter barrel.

Inner. Diameter that the spring is wound to.

Edited by rossjackson01

@rossjackson01do you have a picture of what this looks like when you insert a mainspring into a washer?  How thick is the washer so the spring doesn't wiggle out?  It looks like in your picture you are just using three different washers, but they sure don't look that thick.  I'm going to look at YouTube to see if anyone has a video on this as I'm just struggling with how this all actually works without the spring going "BOING!!"

32 minutes ago, kd8tzc said:

@rossjackson01do you have a picture of what this looks like when you insert a mainspring into a washer?  How thick is the washer so the spring doesn't wiggle out?  It looks like in your picture you are just using three different washers, but they sure don't look that thick.  I'm going to look at YouTube to see if anyone has a video on this as I'm just struggling with how this all actually works without the spring going "BOING!!"

New mainsprings come in a pretty thin washer.

Mainspring_8ab353ee-8cdb-46ff-8abc-ff4fd1b4e103_1024x1024-2252955188.jpg

Edited by gpraceman

33 minutes ago, kd8tzc said:

Thanks @gpraceman, that helps me.  How difficult is this to wiggle this out of the winder and into the washer?  I would think the delta between the winder and washer hole has to be minimal.

EDIT: Sorry, misread your question.  I assume that you could use another washer, with a larger hole, to set the target washer onto and then press the mainspring into the target washer.

Edited by gpraceman

2 hours ago, kd8tzc said:

Thanks @gpraceman, that helps me.  How difficult is this to wiggle this out of the winder and into the washer?  I would think the delta between the winder and washer hole has to be minimal.

There should be little difference between inserting the spring into a barrel or into a retaining ring that is placed on a flat surace . I would suggest something to hold the ring down in case it jumps when the spring is pushed in. Obviously the retaining ring's ID needs to be smaller than the barrel's I.D..

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

The washer are deeper than any new mainspring holder. The two smaller washers are 13 mm in depth and the Large one is 17 mm. I don't think there are many mainsprings that are above 12 mm. I have used tweezers to push the springs out of the brass washer and into the barrel. Point, top and flat. I could use a screwdriver I suppose. I always measure that the inside diameter of the washer is less than the inside barrel diameter.

Sorry, no photographs of the springs. Will do when I next place a spring.

For information. The packs that I purchased were 3 sizes. M6, M8 and M10. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153732007183?var=453981000801

IMG_20230424_232030.jpg

IMG_20230424_232046.jpg

Suppose I could have purchased these. Would have been less filing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133013267762?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111451%26meid%3De2e1f47f99794a508ce6b249478247b7%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D153732007183%26itm%3D133013267762%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bAndUBSourceDemotionWithUltimatelyBoughtOfCoviewV1%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219&amdata=cksum%3A133013267762e2e1f47f99794a508ce6b249478247b7|enc%3AAQAIAAABMPzGgyhK8D4QCApcBuWVQe1qsoN395NgJVWTF7eo2rfipPwdfCio0EI4F5H%2Bx0wtS8%2Fu%2Fr%2FRUxEZ1KxNtbAGuwQqNawa9Mz45LW45pYy0nujlbWP4ofGoZQT5ZMVaNP0FJLG1A2vn5OR1%2BWJrZIvd3%2FpjZ7ypYLXyCNON6DZc8B0bZv21L34UD8Ifvb%2BIeDPhnSwEX1q9OQSkuxqFzPiTFgjz3MATCHuuyA1DrSVUBMJQG14IselWpDqY0mXlh8%2Bgehs%2FDLd6pT7IfJeLDUO3Dfb%2FXerGl%2FzJSybaHovbo6sVM7pCsNiztMBr0xDKuNqMwQEGX%2BQUw4f8nlKVt8mMy52gAn8QWQIH%2FFonSh1DsryGhprfMx9HYjGdv327Jf9LBEXQhIYDcg8YpMKnNCL%2FVQ%3D|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2047675

Edited by rossjackson01

Kd8tzc

Yes, that is the washer. It goes over the rim. Very snug fit. I leave it there in that position, as on all of them, just so I know where they are and don't need to go hunting each time for the right size. I have actually left the washer where it was when doing an insert. The collar is deeper than the washer as you can see.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I was just referred to this thread and I like the idea of using the washer to hold the mainspring before inserting it into the barrel. This is how they sell the new mainsprings - they hold them in the washer.  I recently came out with another idea of making the winder via modifying the Chinese set completely made from brass by replacing the brass hooks by steel and also making it bidirectional winders.

If anybody is interested, I can provide a link to my video about this conversion.

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, valentime01 said:

Hello, I was just referred to this thread and I like the idea of using the washer to hold the mainspring before inserting it into the barrel. This is how they sell the new mainsprings - they hold them in the washer.  I recently came out with another idea of making the winder via modifying the Chinese set completely made from brass by replacing the brass hooks by steel and also making it bidirectional winders.

If anybody is interested, I can provide a link to my video about this conversion.

Thanks

Have seen the video. It is excellent. Will let the owner do the honours

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just spotted these on eBay if anyone is interested, not my item and I have no links with the seller, so I can't vouch for the item or seller. Just thought it was a good price for a set of winders that someone here could benefit from.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145116937867?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bakz_fceqde&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=WLDexrgWSNe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

35 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Just spotted these on eBay if anyone is interested, not my item and I have no links with the seller, so I can't vouch for the item or seller. Just thought it was a good price for a set of winders that someone here could benefit from.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145116937867?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bakz_fceqde&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=WLDexrgWSNe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Seen those matey, i have them watched but theres a few days to go yet so that price could easily double or triple that.