Refurbished motor--right in the middle of a watch cleaning!

I was cleaning a watch today.  Had already done the clean stage and had started the rinse...bam!  The motor quit.

So, for the next two hours, I was refurbishing this motor.  It had been hacked by earlier watchmakers...found a lousy solder joint that finally said "No more."

I took the opportunity to do a thorough cleaning and rewiring.

Working now.

I have another L&R that has a motor problem...similar motor...so this was a good trial run to fixing it.

2022-11-28 19_12_14-20221128_190731.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 2

I sort of feel bad, but sort of not!!!  I purchased an L&R machine from @LittleWatchShopthe other day, which is currently in the hands of UPS.  I get a text from him saying 'The day I ship your machine, my cleaning machine dies!".   I sort of felt bad until he told me later that he got his fixed.  LWS is a man of many talents it seems!

I just opened up the other non-functioning motor. Other than the fact that the brush mount was broken, the motor works.  Most likely, I can 3D print another mount.  But the wiring must be replaced.  These old motors are very robust, but wiring in the 50s was not durable.  Insulation cracks and crumbles.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 11:29 AM, LittleWatchShop said:

I just opened up the other non-functioning motor. Other than the fact that the brush mount was broken, the motor works.  Most likely, I can 3D print another mount.  But the wiring must be replaced.  These old motors are very robust, but wiring in the 50s was not durable.  Insulation cracks and crumbles.

Progress.  I disassembled the motor, cleaned it, oiled the bearings, and re-wired it.  The housing for one of the brushes was busted, so I 3D printed a threaded cover and a screw that functions very nearly like the original.  I tested the motor and it works.  Now to rebuild the rest of the machine.

2022-11-30 12_59_29-20221130_071257.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2022-11-30 12_58_48-20221130_125305.jpg ‎- Photos.png

Edited by LittleWatchShop
Not->>Now
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I snagged this Hamilton Beach mixer motor off ebay for a good price...for a backup if needed for future cleaner repairs.  It was missing the brushes that are round.  I could not find any, but I did find square ones where the dimension of the side was equal to the diameter I needed, so I bought four sets for cheap.

Then I turned them on the lathe.  I was surprised at how well they turned out.

I do not have the cap screws, but I assembled the motor anyway (had to rewire it) and held the brushes in with rodico.  The motor works.  Now to solve the cap screw issue.

2022-12-27 11_30_05-Window.png

2022-12-27 11_30_19-Window.png

Edited by LittleWatchShop
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...