Hello, I’m new here

Bill241

Hi, 

Many thanks for letting me join. I’ve only recently started getting into horology as a serious hobby- I was given a copy of George Daniels’ grand tome (Watchmaking) last Christmas- then decided understanding the workings of a watch was more interesting than just owning it.

Having spent months learning, via books, the BHI course and Mark’s online lessons, then practising, succeeding (and failing!) I hope I’m now in a position to be able to contribute something to the forum. And plus, every day is a school day… 

Bill

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 12:06 PM, Bill241 said:

Hi, 

Many thanks for letting me join. I’ve only recently started getting into horology as a serious hobby- I was given a copy of George Daniels’ grand tome (Watchmaking) last Christmas- then decided understanding the workings of a watch was more interesting than just owning it.

Having spent months learning, via books, the BHI course and Mark’s online lessons, then practising, succeeding (and failing!) I hope I’m now in a position to be able to contribute something to the forum. And plus, every day is a school day… 

Bill

Been a while since i welcomed anyone, so here i am, and there you are Bill "welcome".  Congratulations mate, a great hobby to have, both very rewarding and frustrating often within minutes of each other. Any help you require, your first port of call is to identify the movement to let everyone know what you/we are dealing with. Secondly some good clear detailed photos so everyone can SEE what you/we are dealing with. By now you will have some fair knowledge as to what to look for and where to look when ID ing the movement,  a movement size is helpful also when searching through the bestfit books to match up the keyless works of a known maker. Pickies of timegrapher traces and readings come in very handy when fault finding, so if you have one then the up/down  readings for a start and the verticals are great especially for the pros that are 👍at diagnostics. Enjoy the experience and massive learning curve that is coming your way 🙂.  

Rich.

• Like 1