Absolutely baffled by setting issue in 7s26...

58 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

I couldn't see anything wrong in your videos - it all looks to be working OK

Were you just mis-understanding how the cannon pinion works ?
Without the pallet fork in, there is enough friction between the cannon pinion and hour wheel to turn the whole gear train. With the fork in, the gear train is effectively locked, and the cannon pinion should slip on the hour wheel to allow hand setting.

I was misunderstanding and yeah i did not know what you just said. once i put the pallet fork in it all worked. I actuallpy assumed the inside of the cannon pinion and center wheel barely touched, i never realized how much friction they have. It's a really clever bit of engineering!

My original center wheel as my instincts told me WAS bent, i can see it clearly now that i see that the seconds wheel is dead center in the middle of the new donor center wheel which is dead center in the middle of the cannon pinion. In the original one the second wheel was not centered and it was REAL hard to get that cannon pinion over the center wheel and they were bound so tight it would have broken the pallet fork before the cannon pinion could have rotated freely. 

That said i now got two working movements! I haven't done the 24 hour run on my second service but using the same balance from the previous one the amplitude is EVEN HIGHER at 288! Thrilled with that!

The problem is that i put my only other balance that looked...ok but not perfect in the first movement i serviced which was getting an amplitude of 272, with the new balance it's getting only about 200. I'm going to try re oiling the top jewel on the balance and see if htat helps but I got a feeling the hairspring needs a little reshaping.

Wtf is up with seiko hairsprings? I got 4 balances with hairsprings that aren't bent but need to be reshaped just a little to get them centered and working properly. I think ALL of them are from 7s26b movements.

6 hours ago, Birbdad said:

Wtf is up with seiko hairsprings? I got 4 balances with hairsprings that aren't bent but need to be reshaped just a little to get them centered and working properly. I think ALL of them are from 7s26b movements.

I think Gert mentioned something about dodgy hairsprings on 7s26 b movements. They cheap, costs more to get a basic car valet these days, and thats by little freddy from the next street borrowing his mums Henri hoover and a pair of his big sisters knickers to polish your dashboard down with.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I think Gert mentioned something about dodgy hairsprings on 7s26 b movements. They cheap, costs more to get a basic car valet these days, and thats by little freddy from the next street borrowing his mums Henri hoover and a pair of his big sisters knickers to polish your dashboard down with.

Can you check freddy's availability for next week, my car is filthy

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lexacat said:

Can you check freddy's availability for next week, my car is filthy

Will do. Hes out of little offenders for auto theft today , he likes some tunes on so if you can leave your keys in the ignition for him that would be great.

7 hours ago, thor447 said:

Next in line after @lexacat!!!  I wonder if there is a travel charge going between UK, Australia, and USA?

He said it depends on the market price of your car. 

• Haha 3

On 11/29/2022 at 8:12 AM, mikepilk said:

Glad you got it sorted out in the end.

You have done very well - I have a Seiko 7S26 and can't get it above 240° ! Some Seiko's are like that.
(Next time I clean it I'll see if I can move the pallet jewels in a touch).

thanks. I"m pretty proud of myself. Both of my first services over 270...most of the time. getting 288 on one, and 271 on the other, though it's about 265 ish some of the time. i think it gets that 270 only at full wind. 

EIther way, This all turned out better than i thought it would.

• 3 months later...

It’s a tall order for a first watch but it looks like you nailed it. Can I suggest you try a Sekonda for your next watch? A manual wind would be perfect.

The thing with Seiko is they are very good for learning Seiko but a Sekonda mimics Swiss movements so it will give you a better grounding. Also some of the Seiko jewel shock springs are a nightmare. Get some confidence with the Incabloc ones first