Book that covers Staking

Hi. Is there a good book that covers the various uses of the staking set? The other books recommended for beginners in this forum don't cover this topic. I found a PDF of the instructions that came with the k and d inverto set, but they are very hard to read and to understand as they are written in very old terminology. Any ideas ? thanks.

Whilst the book Guy recommended has great reviews it is no longer in print and seems to me to be very hard to get hold of. There is another by Archie Perkins which is available and covers the same information. For me though I find it prohibitably expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antique-Watch-Restoration-Vol-1/dp/0615633609/ref=sr_1_7?crid=MOT27RGZLRUH&keywords=Archie+perkins&qid=1669359108&s=books&sprefix=archie+perkins%2Cstripbooks%2C72&sr=1-7

Tom

8 hours ago, tomh207 said:

I found this pdf the other day as I am also looking for this information.

Tom

220551081_StakingToolsandHowtoUseThem1910-163pBW-S.pdf 44.01 MB · 16 downloads

That is the PDF I have. It is an extract from Kand D catalogue. Various sites try to sell it to people for upto £40 ! The other books are really hard to find, and not at reasonable prices  Why are wTch repair books so hard to get? is it because all potential authors now use YouTube? but a good diagram sometimes is much better than a view of someone's fingers on a screen with a voice over ! but thanks for all answers

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OceanSprint said:

in very old terminology

You may have to rethink watch repair of old terminology is going to be a problem for you. And a lot of fields something that's old is probably a couple years old old here could be 100 years. Technical sheets books can be 50+ years old. Then there is the other problem not just the time how old it is but where it came from. In other words horological terminology varies with time and location of where it comes from. So you can end up with parts going by a variety of names over time even in a specific country and then you throw in other books which may call it an entirely different parts there is several parts that will have some variations in name because of that.

1 hour ago, OceanSprint said:

Why are wTch repair books so hard to get?

Part of the problem is supply and demand or specifically demand. Currently how many people would like to have a book on learning watch repair? Versus how to fix my automobile or the kitchen sink or basically just about anything else in the universe. Watch repair is a specialty field and hobbyists watch repair is even a tiny near specialty field in the overall field of watch repair.

Oh and YouTube just because somebody is on YouTube with a watch repair video doesn't mean they actually have any idea what the heck they're doing. There are a lot of really really bad videos out there very very bad and they have a big following lots of people because well I guess they do.

So basically it be really careful because he is even websites I saw one once the person claimed learning watch repair is really hard is no resources and they were going to show you how to do it the problem was I don't know where that person learned watch repair but they were very good at and teaching date set a lot of bad things.

So for book references here's something on staking sets

https://kanddinverto.weebly.com/

This is a interesting website it does have other horological books you'll just have to figure out the terminology to find what you're looking for. This is interesting book and you will note when you're on the website you can download the stuff for free and a variety of formats. But this one is a good book as it is a training manual. Oh and thinking old terminology download the book and look at the tool section those tools have been around for the last hundred years. Other than maybe the lighting in the cleaning machine perhaps everything in the picture the tools could easily be on a watchmakers bench right now with no real changes at all. So yes and watch repair we of old books old terminology in very old tools it for lucky.

https://archive.org/details/TM9-1575

Bulova stuff but some of it very interesting like They have the same manual at the link above which gives you a clue of somebody else has the same thing of yes you should download that. Then scroll down the page until you get to the section titled Joseph School of Watch Making Individual chapters but farther down to can download the entire book definitely something nice to have

https://www.mybulova.com/vintage-bulova-catalogs

Another good source of horological books

https://www.booksimonin.ch/home.php

• 3 weeks later...