New to horology..

Scottie

Hello everyone, Just registered and thought I'd say hi and introduce myself.

First off Wow!!! I'm hooked this subject is fascinating one of the most interesting things I have come across in ages.

I'm an engineer by trade and I CANNOT WAIT to get my first watch to pull apart and learn about, gonna start easy at first seiko 5 or something like that "thoughts please"

Not sure I'm ready to pull and 8k rolex apart yet lol.

Anyway I'm scott and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way as I get started..

Have a great day..👍👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scottie said:

I'm an engineer by trade and I CANNOT WAIT to get my first watch to pull apart and learn about, gonna start easy at first seiko 5 or something like that "thoughts please"

Not sure I'm ready to pull and 8k rolex apart yet lol.

If you've never actually taken a watch apart and put it back together I would suggest purchasing a clone of a 6497 off of eBay. In other words a brand-new running watch. Then it be nice if you in a timing machine either the Chinese 1000 or 1900 works. Although the 1900 is slightly nicer.

Or you could service your Rolex.

The reason I always recommend purchasing a brand-new watch is for learning purposes. So in other words you are brand-new watch you wind it up you put on the timing machine you see how it's doing. Taken apart put it back together you put it back on the timing machine and who to blame? Wife kids the dog the Hootie want to blame if it's not running? Yes watch repair it looks simple but it isn't always simple depends on the individual. If you start by servicing an existing watch in unknown condition you may or may not grasp as to whether your hand eye coordination is quite as good as you think it is and maybe the reason is not running is your fault. So it helps to practice on something disposable first and work on your hand eye coordination before servicing watches.

But we have had people start with a Rolex watch. I assume your Rolex watches currently running so in other words was not running afterwords and a lot of times people do better with expensive lessons like a balance complete. Otherwise I get a clone of a brand-new watch the 6497 you go to eBay their lesson $50.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...