Just a little wear

transporter

34 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi is this wear common throughout the clock.  Its pretty bad a lot of bushing to do, never seen a clock so worn the pivots themselves will be suspect. 

Yep, it wear throughout the clock, both trains. 
I was initially called by the customer to set their clock up after they had moved it from upstairs to downstairs.
On arrival the crutch was bent beyond belief where the husband had “got” it going after they had thoughtfully removed the pendulum and forced it back into place.

Its a longcase strike movement from wales dated mid 1700’s so it’s had a fair old life so far.
i will bush sympathetically and where I can without needing to make new components. 

6C64EE43-6819-4435-8AB2-50A9CC52097B.jpeg

52A25ED0-0C4D-48A6-B35C-80A2890BF77F.jpeg

30 hour Longcase clocks always need a lot of work when it comes to wear, most likely the pivots are worn and the pinion's. Something not right in those two photos both pivots are not long enough for the plate, you might have a made up movement in other words parts that didn't start out together. What is the name on the dial and place.  

• Like 1

It's odd that the holes are so round, while being so oversize. Perhaps in the past they were broached round, and the pivots retouched, but bushings not put in to compensate the new size difference?

As the wear happens the hole tends to go oblong, increasing the surface area touching the pivot (as well as shifting the centers).

pivot hole wear2.jpg

• Like 1

Name on dial is Lewis from Llanidloes, researched from my Brittens old clocks and watches and it comes up with him from around the 1700,s

Wow I’ve really missed something with this clock……….

it’s running backwards!!!!!!

weight is set up as per the Huygens way, escapement running normally but minute hand going in reverse 😁

12FB6642-9785-41D1-9D9D-44561A7B8AF9.jpeg

Silly me, I threaded the chain incorrectly, I’m driving the great wheel clockwise not anti-clockwise 

• Haha 1