How's This For A Nice Little Kit?

Looks good, The seller in the past (lost touch with their activities) used to offer complete homage watches with sterile dials that were well received on the forums.

I had one of the PAM homages with a manual wind movement, gave it to a friend a few years ago and its still going strong to this day!

Hi WillFly,

There is nothing better than wearing a watch you put together yourself! I think you should do it! I do have some other recommendations if your interested...

I've purchased most of those items from that seller. They are one of the better sellers out of China. But, there are better prices on some similar components elsewhere on eBay. I'm not sure why the other sellers that I buy from don't show up on eBay.uk (I checked) but they do show up on ebay.com (you can sign in there and purchase them) and DO ship worldwide and sell for less...

I made a collection showing some of the comparable items...

http://www.ebay.com/cln/winston.baby/6497-watch-parts/84855075013?edit=true

The case in my list is quite a bit better in quality and about $15 less than the one in your list. The edges are finished nicer and typically the screw down back threads a lot easier than the one on your list. I know, I've bought them both! I actually have them both in stock right now.

The movement in basically the same as your movement (both made by Sea-Gull and 21,600bph) but the model in my list is a bridge design (ETA 6497-2), the same look as some of the Panerai watches. It has a micro regulator, although it's more for show than go! It does work, but the tension spring doesn't keep tension on the regulator through the full adjustment (no big deal though as the micro regulator still works). It's just a matter of preference.

The hands can be found for cheaper, although not is polished finish but in gunmetal and Black.

The dial is the only thing that is exclusive to that seller. It is a very nice dial. Although, I found out the hard way that you cannot solder dial feet onto that type of finish. The finish is transparent so that the radiance of the metal finish shows through....(the sunburst pattern).

And if you are really serious, you can buy directly from there websites for even less, which is how I normally buy!

All of the different movements from these sellers only show a hour and small seconds hand. Is this correct? No minute?

I'm not exactly sure why they all have these hands installed, but they are not really to be used in the completed watch. My belief is that they are installed to identify the different pinions. No 100% sure of this though...

I'm not exactly sure why they all have these hands installed, but they are not really to be used in the completed watch. My belief is that they are installed to identify the different pinions. No 100% sure of this though...

I guess my more direct question would be if anyone has purchased these and do they use all three hands. Hour, minute and the small seconds at 9 o'clock?

Sorry for the confusion...

Yes, they use an Hour, Minute and Second hand. And depending on the model the sub-second hand could be located at the 9 position (6497 model) or the 6 position (6498 model).

Perfect! That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks! I have a case on the way so now I guess I need to choose a movement, dial and hands. Already sourced a nice black leather strap with white stitching and changed out the buckle and tang for a butterfly in black. I'm thinking black dial maybe....

If it's OK to Post these, here are some of the sellers websites. They don't have all their stock on them but what they do have listed is even cheaper. You do have to open an account as a wholesaler, though. I don't think it involves requiring any sensitive information, only Stuff like email, address and phone number if I remember correctly...

www.dajiwatch.com  (if it were me, I would change the name of this website! :D )

www.wenping1970.com

I've ordered numerous times from these guys and they are legit! It just takes forever to get it delivered...but no longer than if you ordered of eBay. 

Don

Also, I can be of assistance in giving information as to what dial fit what case and such things!

On both websites, look at the left side of the page and scroll down the parts or accessories links for individual parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got my dial, hands and case - and I ordered the movement today - so I'll be getting cracking soon and getting it all together...

(Thinks - must get myself a nice deployment strap and clasp).

Well, I've got my dial, hands and case - and I ordered the movement today - so I'll be getting cracking soon and getting it all together...

(Thinks - must get myself a nice deployment strap and clasp)

Can't wait to see it!

Also, if you've never done it before and when you finally fit the movement in the case and have to cut the stem to the right length, it's better to cut it long and fine tune it from there. You definitely don't want to cut it too short as you'll be forced to order a new one from the parts house. 

Can't wait to see it!

Also, if you've never done it before and when you finally fit the movement in the case and have to cut the stem to the right length, it's better to cut it long and fine tune it from there. You definitely don't want to cut it too short as you'll be forced to order a new one from the parts house. 

Actually, I have a watch repair friend who's cut several stems in his time - and I'm going to get him to do that while I watch!

Edited by WillFly

Actually, I have a watch repair friend who's cut several stems in his time - and I'm going to get him to do that while I watch!

Right before they cut the stem, tell'em not to cut it too short! I bet you get the "Death Stare"!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the watch is now all of a piece. I had to get my more expert watch buddy down near Southampton to do some fine tuning. As you might imagine, the machining on these parts, being cheap and Chinese, is not as exact as it would be for, say, the Swiss equivalents. The dial fitted easily on to the movement and the hour and minute hands fitted on perfectly. The second hand opening was not quite centered and he had to do some minor but important broaching to fit h second hand without it fouling. The other problem was the matching of the case screws through the case back into the case body, as they weren't quite in alignment. So, I'm glad he was available to help! I left the watch with him to put the finishing touches to the stem length, and I'll collect it from him in about a week. Pics to come...

Edited by WillFly

Very nice. I have one of those ST-36 movements waiting to be housed, and I was thinking along the same lines of a large pilot (IWC Big Pilot) style watch. I'd be interested to see how yours turns out. I thought for the money the finish on the ST-36 is quite nice, with the blue screws and Côtes de Genève-style finishing.

I'm doing one too, be interested to see yours. I got the case this week & ordered a movement & have a few ideas for making my own dial, its just the hands I'm pondering what to do. I don't think I have the skills yet to create my own.