Seiko 7017 - low amplitude

Although I have limited experience, rarely are dial dots a solution for anything. I can’t offhand remember the company in Oz that can provide jewels for some Seiko movements, this maybe something to look at to have a more permanent solution. This is for barrel arbor as a lot of seiko movements have this problem.

Tom

• Like 1

Hi 

Tom, I totally agree - I should source a jewel for a long-termed solution. 

I just attached a cross section where the dial dot gel is located. And images of the balance staff, how looks the condition? Hope the resolution is okay or I can try get a closer look. 

IMG_20221122_215211783.jpg

IMG_20221122_215859302.jpg

IMG_20221122_215907401.jpg

IMG_20221122_215955827.jpg

IMG_20221122_220017655.jpg

Worn pivot on the cock side. 

A trick that works, is to flip the cap stone so the domed side faces the short pivot. Some folks call it dirty trick but it works. 😩

A chrono Seiko is worth getting new balance. This one doesn't need bin residency, I usually instal them in cheap pieces. 

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I also got a 7017 none runner which I just disassembled. While checking the jewels, I was surprised that the jewel for the escape wheel and the third wheel seems to be upside down. I tried to take a photo from this. Both jewels have the indent on the train side which seems to cause that the escape wheel is too low and not in line with the pallet stone. It is my first 7017 movement so I`m a bit irritated if this is correct or not. I only found a service manual for a 7016 which seems to have the jewels in normal orientation.

01B1FB87-735F-4293-B700-B71AB1333AC6.jpeg

87A11864-DFC0-47A5-9073-0FBD65E43DB3.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Seb0815 said:

the escape wheel is too low and not in line with the pallet stone. It is my first 7017 movement so I`m a bit irritated if this is correct or not. 

yup,  Escape wheel and pallets should be  ""  in line  "" .  

Rgds

1 hour ago, Seb0815 said:

jewel for the escape wheel and the third wheel seems to be upside down

Do these jewels have cap jewels associated with them?

I have a feeling that where cap jewels are used the hole jewels are fitted with the oil sink on the opposite side to the cap jewel. The cap jewel then controls the end shake and keeps everything lined up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Do these jewels have cap jewels associated with them?

I have a feeling that where cap jewels are used the hole jewels are fitted with the oil sink on the opposite side to the cap jewel. The cap jewel then controls the end shake and keeps everything lined up.

Oh yes, you are right. There are Diafix jewels for both wheels on the bridge. Thank you so much for your help. I‘ll check if the cap stone.