New to Hobby

Marky59

Hi, just joined. Want to get into watch repair. Watching loads of YouTube videos. What book is best for a complete dummy like me? Don’t have any tools yet. Have avoided those cheap kits on Amazon/eBay but can’t afford those eye watering expensive ones from Switzerland, want something reasonably priced is that possible? Have found an old pocket watch that needs a lot of tlc. Thanks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hi Vandan. Hi from a fellow newbie! Marshall has got a lot to answer for hasn't he! 😄. I also got hooked to this hobby after watching his videos.  Good luck with your journey to service your Grandfather's watch.   Nick 
    • Hi all, I have a lovely Favre-Lueba dress watch from late 70s/early 80s in a stainless steel case.  Its an unusual curved rectangular case and crystal.  I'm wondering if there's any possibility I might be able to buy/find a replacement crystal for this watch.  The base of the crystal is also curved to match the case, rather than flat.  I'm looking at the Cousins website page here https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/rectsq-rounded-corners-one-side-curved-bezel-sternkreuz-rzr but not sure if I'm looking for the correct type.  In my case its a rectanglular crystal with rounded corners, and both the upper and lower surfaces of the crystal are curved.   Update - OK I now think I know what I'm looking for, but Cousins don't stock the size I need :-).  I think I need a Sternkruez RZ 315x220R9, acrylic, cylindrically domed with rounded corners.  Any tips or alternate sources for this source of crystal. Many thanks
    • Getting more interesting this post, innit? Mikeplilk, Waggy. Impressed with your efforts. Makes mine look amateurish. Hey, that's what I am. Still, I have good results with the 'frog'. Apprentice test piece. Paper is from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234602659940?var=534248554534   I am aware that the more I delve into the DIY, the more I am gaining understanding of watchmaking. Well, a little each time. Ross  
    • Now, that's a bad boy watch! 🫡
    • High frequency day: 36000 bph.