Are Bulova watches unloved...and why?

Here people like Swiss watches more.

I had a brand new divers watch from Bulova last year from my work as a gift for being 15 years on the job.

As I work for an American company they always have Bulova's gifted for long term employees.

I never ever wore it once even do it was a expensive piece.

In the end gave it to my dad as he needed a new watch.

It was a good quality watch but it is just not nice enough design wise somehow.

Maybe this is why.

• Like 1

Vintage Bulova's are my main collection interest. I just today received my first vintage Bulova chronograph, a 1971 Deep Sea Chronograph. I don't really collect any Bulovas post 1970's though. I'm not much of a fan of most their modern Chronographs but I do like some of their other more recent watches, but to me their designs from the 1950's thorough the 1970's are some of the best looking watches of that era. And their in house movements are quite nice too.

bulcol.thumb.jpg.297153a2c92415254b1fc3167800162a.jpg

• Like 2

Bulova is a pretty interesting company and made excellent quality movements. As far as I know from quite early on they had production facilities in Switzerland, but also had extensive production capacity in the U.S. One of my mentors worked there mid 20th century in the prototype department, I wish I could remember all that he told me about those days. An interesting thing is they made a lot of small machinery in-house, very nice stuff easily on par with Swiss machines. He joked once that they closed down because they wore out all their toolmakers.

• Like 1