Omega 321 Chrono not working

Hi  

Are there some omega experts that can tell if anything looks wrong by looking at the movement image?

I'm told that the chronograph function doesn't work but the watch runs fine. 

But nothing happens when Chrono buttons are pushed in or they might not be able to be pushed in. I'd like to know if it's worth buying. 

Is it maybe just a cleaning project? 

br_3703067.jpg

Edited by Khan

there are very troubling signs in your image. The gasket does not look nice and clean it looks like a lot of debris on the gasket and it looks like a lot of debris on the movement ring and none that would be good in the watch itself. This is where people forget when they never get their watch service the gaskets will disintegrate. Disintegrating gaskets are bad because then moisture would get in and that's then very very bad and that's not always going to be visible.

then pictures are usually helpful but the video would be better. As we need to see what happens when buttons are being pushed.

hard to tell but the case clamp on the left-hand side doesn't quite look right in other words it doesn't match the one on the other side? has anyone been the watch before you?

2 hours ago, Khan said:

Is it maybe just a cleaning project? 

this watch isn't quite like a stopwatch a stopwatch has way more metal on metal contact I have a stopwatch at work that the stopwatch wasn't working and it was basically just sticky grease holding things in place. But you wouldn't want to service this watch and see understand why the chronograph isn't working.

2 hours ago, Khan said:

But nothing happens when Chrono buttons are pushed in or they might not be able to be pushed in. I'd like to know if it's worth buying.

oh? It's back to the video but if the watches never ever been cleaned if you push and the buttons to the push it all? If the watch was super super dirty maybe the buttons art even moving? This is back to when the back is off a new push the buttons what do you see happening anything happen at all? Because something you should move the return the zero won't work unless you're in the right position so it has to be stopped the start stop should work.

And yes usually Omega chronographs are worth buying expensive to prices could

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Khan said:

But the asking price is around 2000-2200 USD. Is that fair?

One of the problems with asking prices are who's purchasing? For instance if you're purchasing this for yourself that you'll pay a higher price then if you are purchasing it with the thoughts of fixing it and then selling it. 

I was looking at eBay and a variety of silly asking prices so then you look at the completed sales prices and some of them are less than $2000 you'd have to read the description of why which I'm not going to do. Some are more than $2000.

Oh and when you're looking at eBay you actually have to read the listings because they're misleading. One of the watches that came up for a very very cheap price says pre 321 Which is why it was so cheap. Then there was another one that one of the components like the bezel was supposed to be on a 321. So you have to read to make sure it actually is a 321 movement.

I did find the interesting link below from Omega you can see some nice colorful pictures of the movement

the only thing as a reminder is because it is an Omega watch if you've never worked on a chronograph you don't want to make a mistake on this one because parts are going to be very expensive.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/speedmaster/heritage-models/calibre-321/product

• Thanks 1

I don't see anything broken or missing, but it is in dire need of a service. I can't tell on this one, I usually see Speedmasters (what model is this?), but there are usually some goofy looking bits that interface between the case pushers and the chrono mechanism through the case ringl; if there has been water intrusion these can rust badly and bind up in the case ring. My gut says it's a safe bet at that price, just going on what 321 movements go for, but I'm no price expert.

• Like 1

I chose not to buy it. It was ref. 145.006. Its sold for around 2500 USD. I would have bought it for myself and try work with it myself or send it to a authorised watchmaker. I have good experience with servicing landeron 48/248 and valjoux 7733ish chronos so thought it could be fun but didn't feel comfortable about buying it as parts hard to get🤓

Appreciate the knowledge sharing! 

Edited by Khan