Jump to content

Renata balance wheel question


Recommended Posts

Hi,

I'm very very new to all this, still in the sooooo many parts stage! Please be gentle 🙂

I bought a couple of watches to take apart, learn and try to fix, one is labelled Josmar:

josmar1.thumb.jpg.42b7e952fb60e9a45ca314cda871316c.jpg

I liked the style of the face and the 'patina' 🙂

It has a Baumgartner BFG 800 pin lever movement.

josmar2.thumb.jpg.279c1a5293e17e6122300bfbc1934565.jpg

josmar3.JPG.ae1842ac244ccdf6a6d0a12a295eeaed.JPG

https://17jewels.info/movements/b/baumgartner/baumgartner-800/

I guess it was dropped, the upper pivot has broken off the balance shaft, I don't think there's any damage to the jewels fortunately. I found somewhere which sells replacement complete Renata balance wheels as I'm a long way off being able to change a balance shaft!

https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/8316_Renata Balance Page 11-15.pdf

The catalogue lists two; 62 and 63 for BFG 800, but what does " a dgt. " and " a pl " mean? I assume they're abbreviations for something?

Many thanks for any help, Andy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Andy   I have the catalogues but it does not explain the abreviations,.     remember these are swiss publications and therefore  are in their language.     But on the tech sheet there are two balances  complete  one is for a balance with a jeweled roller and the other with a brass finger. So before ordering you need to check and see which it is.   I have attached the tech sheet for the BFG 866 to give you some idea.

2529_BFG 866,866.31.7.pdf

Hi Just gone through all my Renata cat's   a dgt    =    avec doigt      (finger)   and      pl  =  plateau   (roller). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Andy   I have the catalogues but it does not explain the abreviations,.     remember these are swiss publications and therefore  are in their language.     But on the tech sheet there are two balances  complete  one is for a balance with a jeweled roller and the other with a brass finger. So before ordering you need to check and see which it is.   I have attached the tech sheet for the BFG 866 to give you some idea.

2529_BFG 866,866.31.7.pdf 3.21 MB · 1 download

Hi Just gone through all my Renata cat's   a dgt    =    avec doigt      (finger)   and      pl  =  plateau   (roller). 

Pretty sure this is relating to the guard finger on the fork of the lever. The roller has a notch that the finger skims through as it switches from one side of the staff to the other. Its a shock protection feature. The pl - plateau i would suggest means the roller has no notch and the fork has no guard finger. Coincidentally i was polishing the finger sides to contact the roller with less friction, i might add just for fun 😉

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Andy   I have the catalogues but it does not explain the abreviations,.     remember these are swiss publications and therefore  are in their language.     But on the tech sheet there are two balances  complete  one is for a balance with a jeweled roller and the other with a brass finger. So before ordering you need to check and see which it is.   I have attached the tech sheet for the BFG 866 to give you some idea.

2529_BFG 866,866.31.7.pdf 3.21 MB · 1 download

Hi Just gone through all my Renata cat's   a dgt    =    avec doigt      (finger)   and      pl  =  plateau   (roller). 

Thank you, that's greatl! My school boy French was failing me trying to find anything 🙂

14 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Pretty sure this is relating to the guard finger on the fork of the lever. The roller has a notch that the finger skims through as it switches from one side of the staff to the other. Its a shock protection feature. The pl - plateau i would suggest means the roller has no notch and the fork has no guard finger. Coincidentally i was polishing the finger sides to contact the roller with less friction, i might add just for fun 😉

Thank you! That makes sense, there is a brass finger on the lever, so it looks like 'avec doigt' then 🙂

Andy

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, fussbudget said:

Thank you, that's greatl! My school boy French was failing me trying to find anything 🙂

Thank you! That makes sense, there is a brass finger on the lever, so it looks like 'avec doigt' then 🙂

Andy

Eyup fuss, something got me thinking about the lever. i have an update on this for you. Just been looking though the bestfit catalog.  There are balance staffs that have a finger as opposed to a roller, non relative to a gaurd finger on the lever. Never seen one of these on a movement so you might want to look into that first. A staff with a roller has the guard finger of the lever on the bottom of the fork as in all modern modern and all old movements that I've seen up to now.  A staff with a finger instead of a roller  has the guard finger of the lever facing uppermost with the fork underneath it. Something before impulse jewels. Hope this makes sense

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Added extra info.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2022 at 5:43 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup fuss, something got me thinking about the lever. i have an update on this for you. Just been looking though the bestfit catalog.  There are balance staffs that have a finger as opposed to a roller, non relative to a gaurd finger on the lever. Never seen one of these on a movement so you might want to look into that first. A staff with a roller has the guard finger of the lever on the bottom of the fork as in all modern modern and all old movements that I've seen up to now.  A staff with a finger instead of a roller  has the guard finger of the lever facing uppermost with the fork underneath it. Something before impulse jewels. Hope this makes sense

Thank you, for more information! Sorry for the delay, trying to get clear photos of small parts....

The lever does have a finger on the bottom of the fork:

IMG_1887.thumb.JPG.72fb26e566aba2105e1f583fbdf46e28.JPG

and the balance has a roller with notch:

IMG_1892.thumb.JPG.6dd093b93171c87d026fa33f2c16fc0e.JPG

so I think that means the balance I need is 62 'avec doigt'.  I guess I'll order one and see 🙂

Cheers, Andy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, fussbudget said:

Thank you, for more information! Sorry for the delay, trying to get clear photos of small parts....

The lever does have a finger on the bottom of the fork:

IMG_1887.thumb.JPG.72fb26e566aba2105e1f583fbdf46e28.JPG

and the balance has a roller with notch:

IMG_1892.thumb.JPG.6dd093b93171c87d026fa33f2c16fc0e.JPG

so I think that means the balance I need is 62 'avec doigt'.  I guess I'll order one and see 🙂

Cheers, Andy

Haha. No mate i dont think so. Doigt is finger, finger on the staff . Yours has an impulse jewel. Maybe getting confused here , so lets go through it again. There are 2 fingers, a guard finger on the lever and a staff finger instead of a roller and impulse jewel. You want a roller = plateau.  🙂. This is what avec doigt looks like. 

Screenshot_20221117-185521_eBay.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha. No mate i dont think so. Doigt is finger, finger on the staff . Yours has an impulse jewel. Maybe getting confused here , so lets go through it again. There are 2 fingers, a guard finger on the lever and a staff finger instead of a roller and impulse jewel. You want a roller = plateau.  🙂

Aaaah so many new terms to learn 😳 This is why I put up photos, thank you. 🙂

Andy

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, fussbudget said:

Aaaah so many new terms to learn 😳 This is why I put up photos, thank you. 🙂

Andy

 

 

Just now, fussbudget said:

Aaaah so many new terms to learn 😳 This is why I put up photos, thank you. 🙂

Andy

 

To be honest i have not come across a staff with a brass finger as yet. As far as i know the guard finger on the lever is above the fork with this. So a quick recognition as soon as you look at the lever to say " oh no can i get a new staff for this if i need one " 😆

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I have bought myself a Hudie watch which was a chinese brand owned by the also now defunct Hongqi watch factory. The watch is about 25 years old. I want to remove the movement so I can polish the case and caseback, as well as regulate the movement because it's running a bit fast. And more than anything I am curious to see which movement resides inside. However there is a problem. The caseback will not budge at all. I put it in my vice and tried to remove it with my bergeon caseback ball and it will not move a millimeter; the ball just gives out and slips after enough force is applied. I tried heating the caseback too to no avail. I had this problem once before and krazy glued a nut to the caseback and removed it that way but I'd prefer not to do that again if anyone knows any other tricks. It's so stuck I thought it might be a snap on caseback but I do not see any opening to slip a tool in and I also believe the majority of these hudie casebacks are screwdown design like the other similar chinese ones. I actually think it might be glued on because I scrapped off something that seemed like epoxy and in that case I have 0 clue if it'd even be possible to open. Thank you.
    • Ladies and gents, I found the most awesome old gold watch chain!  It has spring links!  I am always so careful with my antique pocket watches, and still fear to drop them, even while on a chain. I've re-staffed a number of balance wheels that no doubt suffered a similar fate. But this chain has lessened that fear somewhat.  So my "watch of today" was my beautiful Elgin 339 clipped to this chain.
    • For me, there’s no binary yes/no answer to this. It really is a matter of feel, experience, inspection under magnification, the age of the movement and what a replacement costs vs invested effort to “revive” it that all play a role determining the answer above. For an Omega 56x series reverser wheel you’ll spend more time trying to revive a reverser (which, by the way is also much more serviceable, but also harder and more expensive to find a replacement for) than you would an a Sellita SW200 where replacements are cheap and easy to find.
    • That's what I did after my Pearl machine stopped working. I've run about 5 watches through it so far and get results as expected. One interesting note is that their customer service says the machine comes with a 2 year warranty but that is not indicated on the website and when asked via email they are unable to provide a copy of the warranty, which I believe runs counter to US federal law 🤷‍♂️  Luckily for me the service center they use for repairs is local to me so if I ever do need to have it serviced I won't have to ship it in its HUGE box.
    • @JohnR725I live in a “3rd world” country (South Africa) and even here you can’t make a middle class living charging $120 to service a watch. I make many times that spending that same amount of time in my day job. But quote the average someone $200 to service their inherited vintage Omega (that stopped working 20 years ago) and you’re told you’re effing mad. This is why watchmaking is dead as a profession in modern times; everyone wants that cool mechanical watch, no one considers what it costs to maintain it. A wrist watch is no longer an essential tool, it’s novelty jewellery. So I do it as a hobby, a make a few videos and I fix broken things. If this hobby can make a little money to at least contribute to its vast expenses then that’s a bonus. I have many other hobbies that are just money pits, so there’s at least that. Speaking of making videos: there’s a lot of criticism being levelled at YouTube watchmakers, either because they don’t show enough detail, or that they talk too much, or that they’re hacks, or whatever other negative thing you can imagine. But these YouTube watchmakers have done more to expose watchmaking to the average Joe than what any of the professional watchmaking institutions have ever done. Professional watchmakers scoff at these “hacks” in their comment sections but fail to see how these YouTubers create interest in the average Joe and turn them into enthusiasts. Anyway, enough rambling from me…
×
×
  • Create New...