Cylinder Escapement for a Pocketwatch.

Garry

I came across this forum via a google query.  I was looking for some guidance as to how rare a ruby cylinder escapement is on a Pocketwatch.  I don't know much about the watch other than it is French, with a gold case and is very delicate in appearance

15 hours ago, Garry said:

cylinder escapement

no pictures we love pictures especially a picture of something like this. Probably a better question to ask is not how rare is it on a pocket watch but just how rare is a Ruby cylinder?

I do have to ask the question though how do you know it's a Ruby cylinder versus a standard cylinder?

Then Ruby cylinder is tended be rare because they're hard to make making the Ruby cylinder part is difficult. Then they have a habit of breaking meaning that finding a running one is going to be even more rare. So basically a Ruby cylinder is going to be rare whatever it is in.

It be nice to have a picture

• Like 1

Yes!  Pictures please!  In so far as a cylinder made of ruby, only one name leaps to mind: A. L. Breguet.  There possibly could have been others, but making the cylinder in a cylinder-escapement out of ruby was his idea.  I have worked on a few cylinder escapement watches, and would love to see pictures of this one.  John and I could possibly help identify it.

But as John says - they are rare as rare gets.  I would not envy the man assigned to search for parts for it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

There possibly could have been others, but making the cylinder in a cylinder-escapement out of ruby was his idea

casually from memory I remember there are two different designs for ruby cylinders so there were probably other makers. But no matter what making the cylinder is an interesting thing to do and they tended to be fragile. I knew somebody that once needed a replacement cylinder the problem was on their particular style of the entire end was missing that wasn't just making a new Ruby cylinder it was figuring out what the entire rest of it was. So other than getting to look at it that's as far as the project went. then in Daniel's book he actually tells how to make the cylinder. For those people have a little extra time on their hands and need an extra project.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2022 at 7:39 PM, Garry said:

I came across this forum via a google query.  I was looking for some guidance as to how rare a ruby cylinder escapement is on a Pocketwatch.  I don't know much about the watch other than it is French, with a gold case and is very delicate in appearance

This makes 4 Garry. Pictures please.  Its something i wasn't aware of . Fascinated that it was even possible and hope that the cylinder is still intact. Just as a thought i would have it measured up if its still ok. Then in case of ever any damage it may be possible to have a metal one made up to maintain a running watch.