Eyup all you lovely knowledgable inspirational folk of WRT. I hope you are all in good health and happy in life. I pose here probably a simple question for lathe owners. A recent acquisition of mine has me quandering the specific use of these 4 gravers. All of good quality,  3 swiss made 2 of which are Grobet and 1 a British Stubbs. The two Grobet are of a tapered round shape the largest is 6mm in diameter tapering to 2mm then to a point, I'm thinking this is for clocks. The smaller of the two is 2mm tapering to 1mm then to a point. Would these be bunishers ? Next is of an octagonal shape approx 1.8mm across its section. And finally what i think is a parting tool 8mm in its depth with a skewback cross section .5mm at the sharp end and 2mm at the thick end. Both of the ends of these two are in rough shape. Any help to explain their use would be appreciated thank you. 

20221105_145639.jpg

20221105_145715.jpg

20221105_145738.jpg

20221105_145823.jpg

20221105_145608.jpg

20221105_145604.jpg

20221105_145554.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

On 11/5/2022 at 5:48 PM, dadistic said:

This is just a guess, but those may not be for turning. Could be they are for actual engraving. The handles are the giveaway.

Cheers!

Yes I'm pretty sure you're right Dave. They cost very little so i wasnt particularly paying attention to them. The handle shape helps to push into the material using the palm of your hand, probably silver and gold engraving. And i think nickelsilver is correct they have been adapted for another purpose. The ends of the square type have been very poorly shaped, but hopefully the steel is of good hss so i can make some use of them after a reshape. The grinding sparks will give me my first clue. Not sure what to do with the bunishers.