A strange movement holder

Hello everybody,

So I was looking at the local website for a new project and found this movement holder which cought my attention because I've never seen anything like it before not that I'm an ex0ert and seen everything but it's interesting nevertheless.

What do you think about it? Is it worth buying?

20221103_080516.png

20221103_080500.png

20221103_080440.png

20221103_080418.png

20221103_080353.png

20221103_080328.png

2 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Its a recognised brand (Favorite) swiss made. I have see some Rolex ones that are similar going for silly money, so it depends on the asking price.

It's so cheap, less than $10, but what do you think about the condition? can it be restored?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

T that price its worth a shot, as for restoration a good clean and lubrication would make it look a lot better

Alright I bought it, I'll update once I "restore" it.

On last question, what kind of lubrication should I use? I think some oils are bad for plastics.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's actually a movement holder, rather a case holder. The different width tabs on each of the 4 faces correspond to different strap lug widths. You install the watch case face down using the appropriate side and adjusting the thumb screw so that the tabs fit between the strap lugs. The whole thing then goes into a bench vice and holds everything nice and solidly so that you can deploy a case back wrench with both hands. Helpful for avoiding slipping wrenches (and the associated damage) especially with tight case backs.

19 hours ago, Marc said:

I don't think it's actually a movement holder, rather a case holder. The different width tabs on each of the 4 faces correspond to different strap lug widths. You install the watch case face down using the appropriate side and adjusting the thumb screw so that the tabs fit between the strap lugs. The whole thing then goes into a bench vice and holds everything nice and solidly so that you can deploy a case back wrench with both hands. Helpful for avoiding slipping wrenches (and the associated damage) especially with tight case backs.

I think you're right, it doesn't hod the movements well and it's not stable n the bench it self but I didn't think it's a case holder I just thought it was a terrible movement holder.

21 hours ago, Marc said:

Not sure about that marc. Look at the curved profile that fits around the movement also a shallow curved rebate. I would have expected the tabs to be square and deeper. If so a poorly designed one.

28 minutes ago, Ammar said:

I think you're right, it doesn't hod the movements well and it's not stable n the bench it self but I didn't think it's a case holder I just thought it was a terrible movement holder.

It looks like its made of timber.

5 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Not sure about that marc. Look at the curved profile that fits around the movement also a shallow curved rebate. I would have expected the tabs to be square and deeper. If so a poorly designed one.

It looks like its made of timber.

I have a few holders, the one to the far right bottom is what i use a lot of the time Ammar. Its an adapted  jewellers vice, the wooden inserts are pegwood and can fit into a variety of holes to suit the movement. They grip really well without damaging the movement and its heavy so it only moves when you want it to. I use it a lot to hold the barrel when hand fitting a mainspring. I think it was around 12 quid so 15 bucks ish. The back two are really only good for something big like pocket watches, the left is a Japanese MKS the right a Rolex oyster, a little cumbersome Imo especially the MKS.The middle one a cheap bergeon 4040 style not keen on those they dont feel particularly stable i only use this for holding dials and the bottom left a Bradux that will go up to a 12 ligne this one isn't bad  actually quite stable

16688533452333054065078455198088.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Just now, Neverenoughwatches said:

I have a few holders, the one to the far right bottom is what i use a lot of the time Ammar. Its an adapted  jewellers vice, the wooden inserts are pegwood and can fit into a variety of holes to suit the movement. They grip really well without damaging the movement and its heavy so it only moves when you want it to. I use it a lot to hold the barrel when hand fitting a mainspring. I think it was around 12 quid so 15 bucks ish. The back two are really only good for something big like pocket watches, the left is a Japanese MKS the right a Rolex oyster, a little cumbersome Imo especially the MKS.The middle one a cheap bergeon 4040 style not keen on those they dont feel particularly stable i only use this for holding dials and the bottom left a Bradux that will go up to a 12 ligne this one isn't bad  actually quite stable

That's an impressive collection, I have to admit I sometimes put the movement in one of those plastic case holders they hold the movement securely without damaging it.

Just now, Neverenoughwatches said:

Maybe you could shape it to work better . Favourite are a good swiss brand.

I am thinking about doing that but not quite sure what I'm going to do yet.

1 hour ago, Ammar said:

That's an impressive collection

Wasn't  particularly expensive, i think i paid about 80 quid over 1 year, just picking them off of ebay. Some luck involved in that. In fact one of the sellers i use regularly has the rolex one on a buy it now price of 35 quid or nearest offer, so i guess 40 bucks would get it. Another seller has had the same one up for sale for months at 450 quid. Alot of ebay buying has to do with finding a good seller and then patience. 

6 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Wasn't  particularly expensive, i think i paid about 80 quid over 1 year, just picking them off of ebay. Some luck involved in that. In fact one of the sellers i use regularly has the rolex one on a buy it now price of 35 quid or nearest offer, so i guess 40 bucks would get it. Another seller has had the same one up for sale for months at 450 quid. Alot of ebay buying has to do with finding a good seller and then patience. 

Ebay is awesome but the problem is we don't have a payment method to buy off there, I actually found a way around it but shipping prices and the difference in exchange rates make things super expensive so I'm confined to the local market which isn't that good in terms of variety or prices, sometimes I think to myself "you picked the wrong hobby" 😅 

1 hour ago, Ammar said:

Ebay is awesome but the problem is we don't have a payment method to buy off there, I actually found a way around it but shipping prices and the difference in exchange rates make things super expensive so I'm confined to the local market which isn't that good in terms of variety or prices, sometimes I think to myself "you picked the wrong hobby" 😅 

Ah ok i guess different countries have different access to buying platforms. Sorry about that but think positively, keep your eyes and ears open and good things will come  your way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ah ok i guess different countries have different access to buying platforms. Sorry about that but think positively, keep your eyes and ears open and good things will come  your way.

Thank you for the nice words those have become rare these days.😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ammar said:

Thank you for the nice words those have become rare these days.😊

No problem, i always try to encourage folk that have a passion for anything and to become the best version of themselves in their endeavours. The world is becoming a harsh place, a few words to make it seem less so takes no effort. Everyone here is helpful and considerate towards each other, as it should be. Keep doing what you enjoy doing and post up your projects for help and to help other members. That is what this forum is all about, that and making each other smile and laugh. 🙂

• Like 1