Doorknob (with a watch in it!):

KarlvonKoln

I saw this in a local antique store and had to buy it.  You see before you a mismatched set of doorknobs on their shaft, and one has an Ingraham watch built in.  I examined it and, just as with walking sticks I have seen, the watch case back is one with the knob.

As you might guess, I bought it for the purpose of turning it into the topper of a walking stick.  (My left leg has a history and I see the need for a cane in my future. )  But I am left wondering: how often did people use doorknobs with watches in them???  I examined the mounting and it truly looks like it was manufactured to be a doorknob.  Very odd.

20221102_212143.jpg

• Like 3

Update: well, I'm pleasantly surprised.  I checked its time this morning, and it's running only about 20 seconds ahead.  Considering it has no second hand and I was just estimating when I set it yesterday, I think the cleaning and fresh oil did some good.
That said, GAD it is arduous working on full-plate "dollar" watches like this Ingraham.  The overly simplistic construction actually makes re-assembly that much more difficult.  I'm glad I won't have to do that again for another five years.  It gave me new appreciation for my old Longines and Elgins and my other watches of more ordinary construction.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  when you have it mounted on or in your cane don't forget to post a picture it might just be a FIRST. Time in you hands.  literally.

Well, there have been many other Victorian walking sticks with watches built into their handles.  But it may be that mine could be the first to be depicted in this forum.  I certainly shall post pictures of the finished product.

On 11/3/2022 at 5:07 AM, HectorLooi said:

i wonder what other common everyday objects had clocks built into them.

Maybe we could start a new thread, "Show us what your weird clocks."

Here's a one for you, might not bee that rare but this is the first time I see something like this.

20221105_093016.png

20221105_092952.png

20221105_093109.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1