Derby Swissonic Watch

I have seen a few of this and they freak me out . They certainly look strang on the wrist . But they are an icon . I think they are very hard to repair . What do you think of it ? this is a listing on the Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/DERBY-SWISSONIC-D-I-C-OROLOGIO-DA-POLSO-VINTAGE-ELECTRONIC-WRISTWATCH-/400946557939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&hash=item5d5a46f3f3

post-644-0-01527700-1435870162_thumb.jpg

Edited by rogart63

Very cool indeed!

My only concern is that's it's electronic; and being such, there's the problem with the circuit and coils issues ... how on earth would you ever get replacements :huh:

This is the sad truth of quartz, they are an item with a finite life span; and not heirloom items :(

Possibility the only exception to this would be the Accutron movement, as they appear to be point-to-point component, instead of surface mount circuit boards.  But since I have never owned a Accutron, nor seen one dismantled, I could be wrong.

This is not a quartz movement, it is a balance wheel electronic using an ESA cal 9176 which I believe is derived from the 9154 as used in many "Swissonic" or "Dynatron" labelled watches.

I can't speak for the 9176 as I've never had a play with one (they are really quite uncommon) but the 9154 is a really good piece of kit. It does use coils in its make up but they are reasonably robust. The movement its self can be stripped and serviced pretty much as any mechanical, except don't put the balance wheel assembly into the cleaner, it has magnets attached to it which will pick up all the magnetic swarf that has come out of previous movements (bitter experience) so just clean it separately in fresh cleaning solution.

post-73-0-95890600-1435932546_thumb.jpg

The circuitry in the 9154 is comprised of discrete components (basically a transistor, a capacitor, a diode (I think!!), and a resistor), no IC's in there at all so could be repairable. I rate these beasties quite highly as they seem to be reasonably tough, they run at a pleasingly smooth 28,800bph, and they're not too heavy on battery power. They are also quite happy with silver oxide batteries instead of the mercury cells they were originally designed to use. It's possible that there could be balance staff issues due to the increased mass of the balance due to the magnets but I have played with a few of these (and similar from Seiko) and not found any problems, maybe the shock protection is beefed up accordingly.

I've got an Avia Swissonic and a Seiko EL-370 lined up for servicing so watch this space and I'll post up a walk through when I'm done.

• Like 3

Very cool indeed!

My only concern is that's it's electronic; and being such, there's the problem with the circuit and coils issues ... how on earth would you ever get replacements :huh:

This is the sad truth of quartz, they are an item with a finite life span; and not heirloom items :(

Possibility the only exception to this would be the Accutron movement, as they appear to be point-to-point component, instead of surface mount circuit boards.  But since I have never owned a Accutron, nor seen one dismantled, I could be wrong.

Biggest issue with accutrons is coils, difficult to source them.

However I have 12 currently and all run very well indeed, very robust in my experience.

Movements will run for many decades if serviced correctly.

• Like 1

Sweetness!! :lol:

This is something that actually repairable ... pretty much forever.

Coils, if kept away from moisture, and excessive current, should last a very long time indeed.  I watch an antique radio and TV restorer on youtube, and some of those coils are nearly 100 years old and still going strong.

rogart63, you've really peak my interest in these watches mate ... there very well could be a purchase and service walkthrough in the future :p

• Like 1

It's hideous. I don't like any watch or clock that works with a battery. I'm strictly into mechanical. I even hated having to replace batteries.

I can respect that.

Thank you for the eye test, I passed with great ease. :lol:

I can respect that.

Thank you for the eye test, I passed with great ease. :lol:

I don't know what happened or why my post ended up so small. I like your wit with the eye test :D  I  had a hell of a job reading it as my eyes aren't so good.