Kickback check. Is this failing it?

7 hours ago, Birbdad said:

Yeah, i guess i don't get how you're supposed to visibly line all that up on a 7s26 considering the only part of the escapement you can see is the exit stone of the pallet fork and the pallet pivot and maybe 1 or 2 teeth on the escape wheel. 

As you've already noticed a Seiko watch is basically impossible to see. But then you have a timing machine put it on the timing machine gently push the stud holder that's holding the stud not the stud itself just push it a tiny bit in one direction look at the numbers did they go up or down. You want the numbers to go down towards zero. Simple just don't go past zero then they go up again and definitely don't move a big amount or you go right past it and be really confused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbyleveldt said:

Yessir!

So have you done this visual inspection on a 7s26?! Maybe i'm missing something but the raised part of the bridge next to the balance wheel appears to block off any possible view you could get of the pivot and impulse jewel if you're trying to look in a straight line down down the line you gotta put all this stuff on.

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

As you've already noticed a Seiko watch is basically impossible to see. But then you have a timing machine put it on the timing machine gently push the stud holder that's holding the stud not the stud itself just push it a tiny bit in one direction look at the numbers did they go up or down. You want the numbers to go down towards zero. Simple just don't go past zero then they go up again and definitely don't move a big amount or you go right past it and be really confused.

Yeah, can't see s*** captain haha. I'm going to just try it this way. 

ALso since i got all you here. This is another balance that is a tad bunched up on one side but it looks like it could be salvaged. If I was going to try my hand at hairspring adjustment and reshaping where would i want to go at this thing? If you could circle likely areas of attack i'd really appreciate it. Got an oiler i won't use i can turn into a needling tool. It appears to be flat still but i guess i won't know till i take it off the balance cock.
image.thumb.png.91119727a82960886897a94ab4c63ff9.png

23 minutes ago, Birbdad said:

tad bunched up on one side

Just as a reminder this watch has the etachron  system. The reason I point this out is adjusting like what you're bringing up is easy . Normally I watch she would have to bend the hairspring but this system is meant to have the stud can rotate and rotating the stud will cause conditions like what you have C want to be really careful of bending a hairspring that doesn't actually need to be bent it just needs to be set up correctly in a system like this and then if it can't be set up you can bend it but just make sure you grasp why and where your bending

23 minutes ago, Birbdad said:

It appears to be flat still but i guess i won't know till i take it off the balance cock.

Then I also reminded you up above the type of system this is getting this balance hairspring off of the bridge can be a challenge for a lot of people usually end up bending the hairspring. Best way to tell if your hairspring is flash is to put the balance wheel back in the watch and look at it and see if it's flat.

1 minute ago, JohnR725 said:

Just as a reminder this watch has the etachron  system. The reason I point this out is adjusting like what you're bringing up is easy . Normally I watch she would have to bend the hairspring but this system is meant to have the stud can rotate and rotating the stud will cause conditions like what you have C want to be really careful of bending a hairspring that doesn't actually need to be bent it just needs to be set up correctly in a system like this and then if it can't be set up you can bend it but just make sure you grasp why and where your bending

Then I also reminded you up above the type of system this is getting this balance hairspring off of the bridge can be a challenge for a lot of people usually end up bending the hairspring. Best way to tell if your hairspring is flash is to put the balance wheel back in the watch and look at it and see if it's flat.

Yeah I am getting a better grasp of how etachron works, i was hoping it would be just a stud adjustment or regulator pin adjustment. I opened up the regulator pins just to be sure. 

So you think this is just a minor stud rotation? In the pic it looks like perhaps a tiny rotation clockwise might help? it sorta looks like the spring is coming a bit too extreme into the regulator pins and that might be causing that bunch up.

1 hour ago, Birbdad said:

So have you done this visual inspection on a 7s26?! Maybe i'm missing something but the raised part of the bridge next to the balance wheel appears to block off any possible view you could get of the pivot and impulse jewel if you're trying to look in a straight line down down the line you gotta put all this stuff on.

Its not really necessary when you have beat adjustment on the stud arm Col. Its more relavent to old swiss movements that have to be beat adjusted under the balance  cock via the collet. I usually do it before assembly with a temporary loose fit of the balance, that way you have no visual obstacles. Set your movement into beat by the stud arm.

6 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Its not really necessary when you have beat adjustment on the stud arm Col. Its more relavent to old swiss movements that have to be beat adjusted under the balance  cock via the collet. I usually do it before assembly with a temporary loose fit of the balance, that way you have no visual obstacles. Set your movement into beat by the stud arm.

Well i'm really glad i took apart the entire calendar works to get the spacer off which was blocking my view and then half the watch to only find out that the bridge prevented the view anyways lol. Oh well, i cleaned and degreased my escapement, my microscope arrives today and it will be a great way to test it out, relubing the escapement.

I really do love this. It's so zen. Now that so many things are becoming second nature just tinkering and doing assembly and disassembly stuff is just really relaxing.

Edited by Birbdad
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Birbdad said:

Well i'm really glad i took apart the entire calendar works to get the spacer off which was blocking my view and then half the watch to only find out that the bridge prevented the view anyways lol. Oh well, i cleaned and degreased my escapement, my microscope arrives today and it will be a great way to test it out, relubing the escapement.

I really do love this. It's so zen. Now that so many things are becoming second nature just tinkering and doing assembly and disassembly stuff is just really relaxing.

Haha. Sorry i didnt see it in time, i think John told you as well.  Its a good way to understand it though and useful to know when you have a go at an older movement without an adjustable beat arm. Enjoy your scope let me know what you think. Bedtime here in Uk.

11 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha. Sorry i didnt see it in time, i think John told you as well.  Its a good way to understand it though and useful to know when you have a go at an older movement without an adjustable beat arm. Enjoy your scope let me know what you think. Bedtime here in Uk.

Nini bud.

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Can't grumble at that especially if its had a good few hours run time. Hows the new scope ?

When oiling the escapement it was an absolute game changer. Love it.

Anybody got a trick or tool they use for rate adjustment? i sat there nudging the rate level the most inperceptible amounts for awhile and i just could not get it down to below +/- 3. Obviously i know this is not a precision movement and theres little point to worry about that but i feel like there's gotta be a more precise way of doing this then just moving it with a piece of pegwood. I simply could not get it to zero, i'd always overshoot.

Edited by Birbdad

1 hour ago, Birbdad said:

When oiling the escapement it was an absolute game changer. Love it.

Anybody got a trick or tool they use for rate adjustment? i sat there nudging the rate level the most inperceptible amounts for awhile and i just could not get it down to below +/- 3. Obviously i know this is not a precision movement and theres little point to worry about that but i feel like there's gotta be a more precise way of doing this then just moving it with a piece of pegwood. I simply could not get it to zero, i'd always overshoot.

I'm pleased you like the scope. The optics aren't  bad at all even though a lot of you tubers dont recommend them. Are you using the x10 mostly. I dont think there is a tool for that just a steady hand, when fine adjusting, i use 2 hands, 1 hand can steady the other. Or you could try a platform to rest your hand on while adjusting. 3 seconds a day is very good. Seiko spec them at something like -20 to +40 seconds a day so you are well within spec. 

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I'm pleased you like the scope. The optics aren't  bad at all even though a lot of you tubers dont recommend them. Are you using the x10 mostly. I dont think there is a tool for that just a steady hand, when fine adjusting, i use 2 hands, 1 hand can steady the other. Or you could try a platform to rest your hand on while adjusting. 3 seconds a day is very good. Seiko spec them at something like -20 to +40 seconds a day so you are well within spec. 

The optics are about as good as I feel like i could reasonably require. ANd so far i've only used the 20x, all iv'e really done with the thing was oil the escapement and it really helped to get right up in there and be able to see the actual oil as the pallet stones contact the escape wheel teeth.

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Yeah i rest my hands on the desk, steady the movement with one and push with the other, i might try two hands, that's an interesting idea.

Also never doubt my minor OCD. The relubing of the escapement was the missing ingredient! Look at that amplitude baby!
image.thumb.png.aea01bc74e4cdde61050308c02e71311.png

• Like 3