Attended a course on staking and jeweling today!!

27 minutes ago, ifibrin said:

Would you be able to reveal what you learnt at the course? Curious what else you can use a jeweling tool for: as far as I know, you can use it for jeweling, reaming holes, tightening cannon pinion, and installing hands.

Nothing beyond that. I had used mine for cannon pinions, but had never removed a jewel, reamed a hole, replaced a jewel. So, it was useful to practice this with knowledgeable instructors around.

Edited by LittleWatchShop
  • Like 3

On 10/29/2022 at 4:50 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

CAWCG

I was curious and is looking at the website below looks like you have in AWCI chapter somewhere in the tiny state of Texas. Quite amusing though is when you see the Texas chapter listed in a click the title to go to the website it's a bit interesting isn't it?

https://www.awci.com/member-center/affiliate-chapters/

On 10/29/2022 at 4:50 PM, LittleWatchShop said:

The local chapter of NAWCC jointly with CAWCG (affiliate of AWCI) held a class on staking and jeweling today.

then are they doing this kind of thing often and do they have chapter meetings on a regular basis?

7 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Both the NAWCC and CAWCG groups meet monthly on different days. The NAWCC tilts toward clocks and the CAWCG tilts toward watches.

I learned that watchmaking is taught in Paris............Texas!

At Paris Junior College.

1 hour ago, dadistic said:

If you click through to the website, it's all about snoring

yes I noticed the same thing the CAWCG groups doesn't seem to be a very active group at all.

The reason I asked was just to remind people that there are opportunities depending upon where you live for meeting people with similar interests you.

so for instance national Association of watch and clock collectors has chapters all across the planet. Conceivably one near you

https://www.nawcc.org/local-chapters/

then the American watching clockmakers Institute still has a few chapters left. They used to have considerably more but they've slowly either left the Association like the one in the state of Washington did or just to disappear. leaving the Association meant that in the case of the one in my state we just went independent.

https://www.awci.com/member-center/affiliate-chapters/

then for anyone in the state of Washington here's where you can go and have meetings and yes they do have classes occasionally

http://www.norwestschoolofhorology.com/wwca/index.html

oh and in case you need more education Texas still has two schools teaching watch repair. There are still quite a few schools in the US not as many as they once were and Texas has two schools. Then at the link below you have to scroll down quite a ways to get the Texas but as you can see them a whole bunch of different branches around the planet.

https://www.richemont.com/en/home/about-us/our-schools/

16 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Nothing beyond that. I had used mine for cannon pinions, but had never removed a jewel, reamed a hole, replaced a jewel. So, it was useful to practice this with knowledgeable instructors around.

I also learned that I should take a look at my tools before getting in the car.

I have two Seitz jewelers.  One is 3mm and the other is 4mm.  Turns out that my 3mm is a complete set and the 4mm is incomplete, so I took the 3mm set...BUT BUT...I grabbed the 4mm staking tool.

Happily, the instructors loaned me a tool so I could do the exercise.

Now back home, I notice that my 3mm set has a "Reduction ring" which appears to be purposed to convert the 3mm stumps to 4mm base.

Alas...I could have used the set I took after all.

So...what is the deal with Seitz and the two different stump sizes?

5 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Now back home, I notice that my 3mm set has a "Reduction ring" which appears to be purposed to convert the 3mm stumps to 4mm base.

Could you take a picture of the reduction ring? I’ve never heard of Seitz tools coming with such an accessory.

5 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

So...what is the deal with Seitz and the two different stump sizes?

I think the older Seitz jeweling tools USED to come with 3mm pushers in the PAST, until they switched to 4mm pushers, same as the anvils.