The Balance Wheel Oscillates For Only A Couple Of Seconds.

Hello everybody,

It's nice to be back to the forum and to this hobby in general I've been away as things have been hectic in life and work (I'm engaged no btw), anyway I'll stop faffing and get to the point.

So I have this beautiful Sekonda ladies watch with a Russian movement (I think it's from the sixties?) and the problem is the darn Balance wheel only oscillates for a couple of seconds then stops completely, the train is free there's nothing obstructing it, the pallet fork flings back and forth  when I tap it, the hair spring looks clean and in a good condition, I cleaned and oiled the cap jewels so there's no problem there.

I might have put one of the cap jewel upside down But I don't think so and to be honest I don't want to deal with that horrible three legged shock spring so I'm leaving this as a last ditch effort.

This is the last time I ever touch a ladies movement I hate them with a burning passion, if I ever have to work on one in the future I'll just take the balance and the pallet fork off and throw the entire movement in the ultrasonic cleaner in sone IPA and that's it I don't care. 

Edited by Ammar

Take the pallet out, and give the balance a good blast with a puffer. It should oscillate for at least 30 seconds. 
Have you checked for end-shake?

Looking from the top - is the hairspring centred, and not bunched up on one side?

Look side on - is the hairspring flat, or is it rubbing on the balance wheel arms, bridge, centre wheel? 
Is the pallet fork rubbing on the roller?

Some pics would be helpful

• Like 1

Always a good idea to put the balance&cock assembly plus fork cock and relevent screws  ( no other part of the escapement) back on the mainplate and observe the oscilator in action, so you  also have good access and view of the oscilator's  components. Short pivot ( worn) for instance might let its shoulder or shoulder seat rub on the setting's chaton. 

Once you call the oscilation acceptable you would add the fork. This is elimination process in reverse , you bring  parts to the party one by one to see which one affects the oscilation.

Good luck pal.

• Like 1