Got a Seiko 6309 A movement here which will be my first automatic watch to work on, thinking it was time to work on something else beside pocket watches. Waiting for a mainspring to show up right now and taking the time to go over the Tech Sheet. In looking at which oils to use it says for the automatic device ball bearings to use Moebius A what is this can't find that even on the Moebius site also show Moebius V for other parts. The other two oil are Seiko S-2 and S-6 which I found but don't know what they cross over to like in Moebius oils.  The last thing is the Mainspring barrel walls, I have some  Moebius 8217 will this be OK. Thanks for help guys.

I use the same lubricants on Seiko as I use on Swiss.

9010 as thin oil

HP1300 as thick oil

9501 as grease

9415 for pallet forks

8217 as braking grease

Lubricants have evolved since 6309’s of the early 80’s so don’t fret too much about finding the oils mentioned in the service sheet.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wudce said:

Moebius A what is this can't find that even on the Moebius site

you're not looking in the right place which is why you're not seeing it it's there

9 hours ago, wudce said:

also show Moebius V for other parts

in the early days before they had numbers they had names. Seiko is just telling you that you need a Swiss product and one of them has the letter a for 9010 and the other one has V for 9020.

9 hours ago, wudce said:

The other two oil are Seiko S-2 and S-6

the S6 can be found here

https://www.esslinger.com/watchmakers-seiko-s-6-watch-grease/

you'll notice the actual description is Watchmakers Seiko S-6 Watch Grease

3 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

Lubricants have evolved since 6309’s of the early 80’s so don’t fret too much about finding the oils mentioned in the service sheet.

then just a reminder everybody gets to have a different opinion and in lubrication conceivably everyone's  opinion even though it may conflict may actually be right.

So for instance up above we see the recommendation of 9501 and I prefer 9504. then the missing lubricant is the breaking grease and the above recommendation should work just fine. In fact the entire recommendation is probably just fine.

but you need to do for lubrication is figure out why certain lubricants are used in certain places in figure out whichever one you like and then go with that and not worry about what the manufacturer says. Because the datasheets ben a considerable quantity of time the recommendations can change and actually will change over time. Then you can't afford to purchase every single lubricant in existence anyway so just find something you like and you'll be just fine.

9020.JPG

9010.JPG

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

but you need to do for lubrication is figure out why certain lubricants are used in certain places in figure out whichever one you like and then go with that and not worry about what the manufacturer says. Because the datasheets ben a considerable quantity of time the recommendations can change and actually will change over time. Then you can't afford to purchase every single lubricant in existence anyway so just find something you like and you'll be just fine.

Yeah, everyone has their own ideas on lubrication and some will defend their decisions till the cows come home. And let's be honest; most of the watches many of us work on are very similar in design so the same recipe works for most, be it swiss, japanese or whatever. I stopped obsessing over minutiae a long time ago. Granted, I will gloss over a piece's tech sheets, if those are available, and if something odd comes up I'd obviously research that a little further and then apply common sense. Case in point would be something like swiss reverser wheels and Lubeta V105 or rotor bearings and Lubeta V106. Or coating everything in Epilame. But let me not open that hornets nest 🤣

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

So for instance up above we see the recommendation of 9501 and I prefer 9504. then the missing lubricant is the breaking grease and the above recommendation should work just fine. In fact the entire recommendation is probably just fine.

Haha, I always get them mixed up. I checked now and I'm using 9504, not 9501. I picked 9504 because I do a fair amount of chrono work and 9504 is, in my opinion, a better grease for the cams. Works great for keyless works as well so I just stick with 9504 for all grease work.

6 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

I use the same lubricants on Seiko as I use on Swiss.

9010 as thin oil

HP1300 as thick oil

9501 as grease

9415 for pallet forks

8217 as braking grease

Pretty much the same as I use for all movements. Except I use Molykote DX for grease (you can buy a large tube quite cheaply), and I use 8213 for strong breaking grease.  

Ask two watchmakers about lubrication, and you will get three different opinions !

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Pretty much the same as I use for all movements. Except I use Molykote DX for grease (you can buy a large tube quite cheaply), and I use 8213 for strong breaking grease.  

Ask two watchmakers about lubrication, and you will get three different opinions !

Haha, ain't that the truth. Friendships have been lost, marriages annulled and brothers turn to being sworn enemies because of lubrication. Not unlike Politics or Religion. 

I've got a whole tube of DX paste as well. But I wanted to be like the cool kids that used the blue stuff hehe

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gbyleveldt said:

I've got a whole tube of DX paste as well.

I wonder if this stuff has a shelflife I hope not. Because of course I have a tube of it which is largely not used.  was trying member why exactly I purchased it? There must then some reason for it

it wouldn't of been for the normal keyless works because at that time I was using something else. conveniently looking online I can't seem to find PML stem grease which is what I used use previously. Conveniently right now looking online I can't find anybody selling which is sad it actually is a really nice lubricant.

1 hour ago, gbyleveldt said:

Yeah, everyone has their own ideas on lubrication and some will defend their decisions till the cows come home.

there are some discussion groups where basically the subject is forbidden to be discussed just because of that. That same discussion group I'm reasonably sure we lost a member because silly me thought you should lubricate the Canon pinion. I never know what quite to expect on that particular group but I was surprised that everybody else thought it should be lubricated also and despite showing tech sheets that much it's lubricated this person absolutely positively refused to accept that. Just because some books said not to do it but the problem with the book is the author is no longer with us and no way that I know of to talk to the person.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 7:20 AM, JohnR725 said:

it wouldn't of been for the normal keyless works because at that time I was using something else. conveniently looking online I can't seem to find PML stem grease which is what I used use previously. Conveniently right now looking online I can't find anybody selling which is sad it actually is a really nice lubricant.

Yikes! PML stem grease has been my go to for keyless works for a long time. The stuff works very nicely.

I still have some, but if I can't replace it when it's gone I'm going to be really sad 😞