Wittnauer A-11 8-day aircraft clock--letdown?

LittleWatchShop

This movement is housed in a bakelite case where the winding key resides.  Once the movement is removed from the case, there is no means to wind or let down as far as I can tell.

Fortunately, the watch runs...even as dirty as it is, so I am going to let it run down naturally.

However!!  I would like to know how it SHOULD be let down.  If I turn the screw on the ratchet wheel, in a way to wind it...it unscrews.  So, that wont work.

Before, I re-discovered watchmaking, this was in a box of watch stuff in the garage.  I got banged around so I am shocked that the balance is in seemingly perfect shape.  Anyway, the case was chipped and sitting in a different location and one day, I tossed it in the trash.  Stupid me.  I recently discovered it again and found one like it on ebay in far worse shape, but with a perfect case!!   So now, the restoration begins.

2022-10-25 12_47_49-20221025_122442.jpg ‎- Photos.png

I'm currently being distracted by another discussion and thinking about swiping your picture. Notice there's an import code on the balance bridge and the words unadjusted I suppose I should be nice and give everyone the link to the other discussion of why that's interesting

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/24653-three-letter-code-on-balance-cock/#comment-202685

1 hour ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Before, I re-discovered watchmaking, this was in a box of watch stuff in the garage.  I got banged around so I am shocked that the balance is in seemingly perfect shape.  Anyway, the case was chipped and sitting in a different location and one day, I tossed it in the trash.  Stupid me. 

I'm glad you said before you rediscovered watchmaking because otherwise you'd be in trouble. Watchmakers never throw anything away including old parts.

1 hour ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I recently discovered it again and found one like it on ebay in far worse shape, but with a perfect case!!   So now, the restoration begins.

if you have access to the case then you should build a release to click and let both mainsprings down as it looks like you have two barrels. Other lattes I don't think your inability hold onto either barrel and let the power off slowly it probably break something. That means you're stuck with the other two methods letting it run down by just running which I doubt it's going to do in its current condition or by pulling the balance of pallet fork.

You could try getting the watch to run the way it is now by doing a modern practice of what's called pre-cleaning. In modern shops like those at work on Rolex watches they will run the watch through a special cleaning machine assembled everything's assembled hands and dial are off but the watches assembled and it's cleaned so it makes it a lot easier to evaluate and make adjustments before they disassemble and do the final cleaning. Occasionally I'll do that with the pocket watches at work and then I'll discover that I forgot the with the power off and the watch will be running again. So if you're concerned about letting the power down in the dirty condition it's in pre-cleaning might be an option and then at least you can let it run down safely or take the power off at least there's not as much dirt and things.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Notice there's an import code on the balance bridge

Indeed...and I have been following the other thread, so I went right to the document (which I had already printed from the ranfft link) to validate the mfg. from the code on the balance cock.

44 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

pre-cleaning.

In an ultrasonic filled with ammonia based cleaning fluid?  L&R Fine Watch cleaning solution.

I would think a quick disassemble would be necessary since a thorough rinse might be challenging.

46 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

if you have access to the case then you should build a release to click

Oddly, no.  I checked this before making the post.  Happily, the watch is running so it will run down naturally.

47 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

I'm glad you said before you rediscovered watchmaking because otherwise you'd be in trouble. Watchmakers never throw anything away including old parts.

I have seen you say this before and it is absolutely a maxim of any mechanical/electronics venture--watchmaking--circuit boards.  The problem is of course, finding the thing you saved!!

• Like 1

You will need a vice that can hold that movement if you can't insert the stem and button. When it is secure you will need a screwdriver big enough to fit the width of the screw that holds the ratchet wheel, you will now need something that will hold the click away from the ratchet wheel, go to wind it using the screwdriver and move the click away from the teeth of the ratchet wheel, let it down a step at a time until all the power is off. 

Serviced this movement today.  I just let it run down naturally.  No issues with the service...

The movement was all greasy/oily...including the dial.  The oil penetrated the lume and looks pretty dingy.  Normally, I would not consider restoring a dial like this from 70 years ago, but it is pretty ugly.  Regardless, not gonna do it now because it looks like a challenge that I am not prepared for.

2022-10-28 13_10_10-20221028_130433.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2022-10-28 13_09_49-20221028_130449.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 2

After installing the movement into the case I could wind it but not set it.  Hmmmm.

Much analysis indicated that the spring used to keep the winding pinion and sliding pinion together was too long--meaning, when compressed, it was too long.  As a result, I could never get the setting wheel engaged. 

This was an ebay purchase and I could tell that it had been hacked in other ways, so I figured that this was not the original spring...it was the only thing that made sense.

So, I made a new spring that, when compressed, was shorter.  IT WORKED.

• Like 3

I printed this crude temporary stand for the clock.  Sits on my desk for now.  Keeping great time, but because of the crud that was on the dial, it is hardly visible.

I know that refinishing dials is a deal breaker for a lot of people, but I am seriously considering, removing the old radium lume and reluming with a modern one.

It is just unusable as is...I think.  I can always make the "Oh no...it is radioactive!!!!" excuse.

2022-11-04 17_51_49-20221104_174510.jpg ‎- Photos.png

Edited by LittleWatchShop
  • Like 1