Bulova 11AFK Sweep Second Hand not staying on

Hi,

Finishing up a nice 1959 Bulova 11AFK and am having trouble keeping the sweep second hand attached. I'm assuming the problem is with the hole having worn on the sweep second hand (vs the sweep pinion). 

Besides purchasing a NOS from eBay or a generic replacement, are there any techniques that someone can share on how to tighten the hole (I dont have a closing punch small enough in my staking set). 

I did think about super glue, but only for a second.....

I've included a photo--thanks in advance for any help. Levine98

IMG_0588.jpg

Leave the end of the sweep second hand as is ( with worn or larger diameter) as this ensures easy fitting of the sweep hand on its arbour, tighten the tube at its mid- length  with a nail clipper.

Good luck

Correction , 

the end of the tube  of the sweep second hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RedVitus said:

One method is tightening in a lathe collet. I've had success using it for a wristwatch seconds hand.  

VideoCapture_20221024-173406.thumb.jpg.a1eeb8ee70a54456b882f99beb496e6d.jpg

I've had similar results with a good quality pin vice but very steady as she goes as you are tightening the full length of  the tube. Joe's idea of the nail clippers makes broaching easier if over enthusiastic with the tightening and also aids the fitting by not reducing the start of the opening. 

10 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I've had similar results with a good quality pin vice but very steady as she goes as you are tightening the full length of  the tube. Joe's idea of the nail clippers makes broaching easier if over enthusiastic with the tightening and also aids the fitting by not reducing the start of the opening. 

Good point. Maybe I was lucky 😉 There is risk any way you do it though. If one uses a numbered collet same diameter as the tube then it mitigates some of the risk I would think. Further, If tightened just to the point where the tube no longer can move, not further, then that should be enough for a first pass try.

Edited by RedVitus
  • Like 1

I don't think I have a needle that small—what about using the sweep second hand pinion to ensure I don’t press in the tube too far? I assume it’s hardened steel and not easily damaged if handled with care? Reason I’m asking is I don’t have a collet (or a lathe) so will be attempting the nail clipper fix.

Edited by Levine98

4 minutes ago, RedVitus said:

Good point. Maybe I was lucky 😉 There is risk any way you do it though. If one uses a numbered collet same diameter as the tube then it mitigates some of the risk I would think. Further, If tightened just to the point where the tube no longer can move, not further, then that should be enough for a first pass try.

Eyup matey. I was meaning more for the pin vice that has less control than a collet, a lot of beginners wont have a lathe and collets.

9 minutes ago, Levine98 said:

I don't think I have a needle that small—what about using the sweep second hand pinion to ensure I don’t press in the tube too far? I assume it’s hardened steel and not easily damaged if handled with care? Reason I’m asking is I don’t have a collet (or a lathe) so will be attempting the nail clipper fix.

🤔 maybe with good control. Personally myself i would probably risk it. A broach ? I use acupuncture needles for lots of things, homemade oilers, hooks, tweekers, pushers, pullers etc.  These start at aound 0.18mm and go up to 0.3mm, around 5-8 quid for a box of one hundred. Stainless steel , very bendy and worth having in your tool kit. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Levine98 said:

Steel guitar strings go from about 0.10 to 0.5 mm. A 'G' string should do nicely at about 0.17mm.

Or sharpen an old oiler to a fine point. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Steel guitar strings go from about 0.10 to 0.5 mm. A 'G' string should do nicely at about 0.17mm.

Or sharpen an old oiler to a fine point. 

This is a great addition to the acupuncture needles Mike. Increases the size range. 👍. Good for making clic and return springs as well.

So a couple of things.

First, thak you to all who offered suggestions. In the end, I was able to sort out the loose sweep second hand issue, but not as I had orignally thought.

After checking the sweep second hand pinion by measuring it and comparing it to a like movement and then fitting the sweep second hand on to it outside of the movement, I realized the issue was my mis-diagnosing the problem.

In point of fact what I was doing wrong was applying the sweep second hand onto the pinion while the movement was mounted in a movement holder, so the sweep second hand was never getting pushed down firmly enough on to the pinion (which is spring loaded). Having realized this, I simply held down that pinon on the bottom of the movement while pressing the sweep second hand on, problem solved.... Attached is a picture of the watch cased and ready to go (kind of, now my next question.

One of the things I was not able to accomplish is fitting a fresh gasket to case. This is supposed to be a waterproof watch, but when I first cracked open the case I had to remove the old gaskets because they were deteriorated beyond use. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any NOS gaskets for this watch, and none of the flat gaskets I have in my assortment package from Otto Frei come close to fitting (all too wide plus too small or too large diameter).

I tried carving up one from my assortment pile to make it fit, but it is very sloppy and I know it is not right.

Any suggestions?  

IMG_0594.jpg

Ring.jpg