Labanda budget screwdriver set with base. Maybe? Maybe not..

I'm just building my beginner set of tools, trying to get a good balance between "cheap" and "good". This is an initial review of a Budget Screwdriver set of 9 with Rotating Stand purchased from Labanda in Australia for $26 AUD.

Budget-Screwdriver-Set_0.png.1073ccdc2b59ea6b3114988f1440472c.png

The kit comes with the 9 aforementioned screwdrivers, a small bag of replacement tips, and a well weighted swiveling base. For reference, they sell an economy screwdriver set for $75, three times the price, so the budget set seems like a no brainer.

Initial thoughts are "I should have paid for the more expensive set". The free spinning end caps on these tools are fairly loose, with one being broken straight out of the box. The tips are very, very badly dressed and are going to need some work to reshape and polish. I don't see myself using the phillips tips, but if I do they will need to be properly dressed to prevent accidental marring of any work surfaces. Tips are either slightly bent, or the grub screws holding them in cause issues resulting in the tools not being straight enough to confidently use.

budget_screwdrivers_1.thumb.jpg.dbb8f49c23e8387ea1242ad22dbf8d03.jpgbudget_screwdrivers_3.thumb.jpg.178198cac5e020029a18f7949b9ba0bf.jpgbudget_screwdrivers_2.thumb.jpg.ffab0cd547cc0ef497a80f510d40e315.jpg

I've had to epoxy the broken screwdriver back together, I have a feeling it's probably going to stay together longer now than the other screwdrivers combined.

budget_screwdrivers_4.jpg.9cce104045137651b4a2b68236f9c77c.jpg

I'm not planning to return or replace these tools, because they're real cheap so no surprises, plus I have the ability to repair and dress them. It will also be good practise for me to get these into better condition in regards to tool maintenance. I'm also waiting on a few other tools/consumables to turn up before I can really make a start, so I'm not in a hurry. But if you're looking to build a budget/beginner kit and don't want to have any issues I would avoid buying these and either get a more expensive set, or get a smaller amount of better made screwdrivers for the same price.

No issues with the rotating stand, it works as required and has a nice weight to it. I would considering buying a stand like this separately for use with a better set of screwdrivers.

budget_screwdrivers_5.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Lexacat  some times budget tools are just that as you have found out, best to buy the best you can afford in both screwdrivers and tweezers (dumont) They turn up on the ebay quite often, Bergeon, Horotec but the star brand and F*F are also well worth condsidering.  I have found most drivers require a bit of touching up.  I have got tools I bought 50 years ago and they are still serviceable.  Attached a couple of documnets for you interest.     cheers

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

• Thanks 1

Thanks watchweasol! I'm gonna take a look through those documents now.

When I started getting tools etc together to start this hobby, I set myself a budget and tried to stick to it. My goal was to get as many of the tools and consumables as I thought I needed to get started from a "more than a complete beginner" level. These screwdrivers were actually more expensive than what I had first planned for. The only tools I feel I've really "skimped" on are these screwdrivers and some knock-off presto style hand removers.

Otherwise, for 1K AUD I've tried to get a couple of practise movements, a timegrapher, oils/grease (9010, D5, 9415, molykote dx, 8200, 8217), oilers and pots, a work mat, movement and dial holder, loupes, rodico, antimagnetic tweezers, storage, dust blower, finger cots, demagnetiser, screwdrivers, band tools, case back opener, case press, etc... it seems like every time I go online I find another tool I need... I'm eyeing a bergeon 5 spoke wheel remover right now...

Unfortunately I did buy the best I could afford! Some things, oils especially, you just can't compromise on. I could have easily spent 3-4 times the amount that I did, but I feel like I've made a decent start and spent/saved where I've needed to.

I still need to figure something out for mainspring winding!

Still, a cheaper hobby than luthiery.

I've just realised I've named pretty much everything in your beginner tools document!

I went Stella #2 and #5 antimagnetic for tweezers, but also got some giant weird ones in a cheap eBay "watch repair kit" that I'll probably tidy up and use for general work, movement/dial holding etc.

The illustrated glossary of watch parts is fantastic! I'll definitely be refering back to that document in particular.

• Like 1