Seiko SKX013 issues

I bought a non-functional skx013 with the intent to repair (7s26c). If I have to I can replace the movement. Upon opening the case I found the balance wheel assembly bouncing around in there along with the screw. Of course attempting to reassemble was unsuccessful. The pallet fork seems to function properly without the balance wheel in place. When reassembled it seems to me the balance wheel is possibly sitting too deep and touching the main plate? Waiting on some properly sized screwdrivers before attempting further disassembly.

20221021_121239.jpg

20221021_121137.jpg

20221021_121246.jpg

Ouch, with that balance loose like that a lot of ugly things probably happened to the pivot and hairspring. Based on the fact that the balance is so close to the mainplate I’d hazard a guess that the pivot has broken off. You can buy a new balance and fit yourself, but that’s not always a simple thing. Probably best to grab a donor 7S26C and use it’s balance complete.

• Like 1

Can you get the balance assembly out cleanly, or is it trapped somehow? If you can, remove it and take some photos of the hairspring and pivots. Then remove the rotor. You will ideally need to take the movement out of the case and put it in a holder to reinstall the balance (this one or a replacement). Otherwise, the case will interfere with the balance and your lines of sight, and make the job 10x more difficult.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zepplinc20 said:

I bought a non-functional skx013 with the intent to repair (7s26c). If I have to I can replace the movement. Upon opening the case I found the balance wheel assembly bouncing around in there along with the screw. Of course attempting to reassemble was unsuccessful. The pallet fork seems to function properly without the balance wheel in place. When reassembled it seems to me the balance wheel is possibly sitting too deep and touching the main plate? Waiting on some properly sized screwdrivers before attempting further disassembly.

20221021_121239.jpg

20221021_121137.jpg

20221021_121246.jpg

I have the same watch, not made anymore and becoming increasingly hard to find and sought after. You need a good visual aid of at least x10 to see exactly what is going on. Hopefully an easy fix for you.

11 minutes ago, zepplinc20 said:

I wish I had a balance wheel to compare it against. Would this happen if the jewel on the mainplate was missing? I think there is something else going on as the palet fork no longer appears to snap back and forth.

Be careful touching the pallet fork, its pivots are tiny and fragile. The perfect tool for testing the pallet fork movement is a very fine artists paintbrush.  The completely wrong tool would be a 3 inch cutting in decorators paintbrush. 😅. Yes its stupid and silly Saturday.  Yarhoo the weekend has arrived. 🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️🙆‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, gbyleveldt said:

Ouch, with that balance loose like that a lot of ugly things probably happened to the pivot and hairspring. Based on the fact that the balance is so close to the mainplate I’d hazard a guess that the pivot has broken off. You can buy a new balance and fit yourself, but that’s not always a simple thing. Probably best to grab a donor 7S26C and use it’s balance complete.

I tried to take some better pictures maybe someone here can tell me if that's broken off.

20221103_204630.jpg

20221103_204650.jpg

20221103_204734.jpg

2 hours ago, zepplinc20 said:

I tried to take some better pictures maybe someone here can tell me if that's broken off.

20221103_204630.jpg

20221103_204650.jpg

20221103_204734.jpg

If you can get a clearer 1st picture. Try pulling back a bit with your camera and zooming in to help it get better focus. The pivot does lot short though so it is probably riding on the shoulder leaving the top pivot loose in the jewel hole. Good time to try a staking set if you have one.

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha you are the man Gert, with conviction, confidence, committed and without hesitation or fear. Britain's political leaders are nobheads are you up for tge job mate ? I will be your wingman. 

Bwahahahaha. Yeah sure I'll take over. But from here. You're not famous for your weather 😛 Makes me think of a movie I saw years ago where a guy just arrived in the US from London. When asked by the customs official if he had anything to declare he said: "Yeah, don't go to London" 🤣 For the life of me I can't remember what movie it was, but that stuck with me hahaha.

Anyway, back on topic - I suspected the pivot was gone when I saw the first pics. Pretty much the only way the balance could be that close to the main plate. The later pics just confirmed it. I think I've seen enough 7S movements to last me a lifetime...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gbyleveldt said:

Bwahahahaha. Yeah sure I'll take over. But from here. You're not famous for your weather 😛 Makes me think of a movie I saw years ago where a guy just arrived in the US from London. When asked by the customs official if he had anything to declare he said: "Yeah, don't go to London" 🤣 For the life of me I can't remember what movie it was, but that stuck with me hahaha.

Anyway, back on topic - I suspected the pivot was gone when I saw the first pics. Pretty much the only way the balance could be that close to the main plate. The later pics just confirmed it. I think I've seen enough 7S movements to last me a lifetime...

Cool. I'll put your name in for the next prime minister ballot. If anything like our last one you wont be waiting long to take the reigns. Just remember who got you the job. 🙂

32 minutes ago, gbyleveldt said:

That sounds like a Bond classic to me.

• Haha 1