Vitascope Clock Repair/Upgrade

MM4D

Hi.

I've recently been given my grandmother's Vitascope clock.
It's in working order, but I think it might benefit from having the insides cleaned, moving parts lubricated and a new power cable added.
These are all things I am capable of doing, but before I jump right in there I wondered if anyone here had any experience of these things?
What sort of cable should I use for the power supply, what sort of lubrication would be suitable?
Any thoughts, hints, tips, tricks and advice would be gratefully received.

Images of the clock.
There is some damage to the coloured cylinder, we think due to someone putting a bulb of to high a wattage in there at some point. But I'm not looking to fully restore, just clean and repair.

Some of the soldered wire connections on the switch are now loose too.

I've read about people replacing the power cable with a 3 core earthed cable, but I'm not sure where I would attach the earth. I presume to the metal frame some how.

IMG_6981.JPG

IMG_6982.JPG

IMG_6983.JPG

IMG_6984.JPG

IMG_6985.JPG

IMG_6986.JPG

IMG_6987.JPG

IMG_6988.JPG

IMG_6990.JPG

Hi Definitley in need of a good clean and as OH mentioned grease rather than oil on the gears, oil on the pivots.  

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrIQZH4xFJjUQYAlQB3Bwx.;_ylu=Y29sbwMEcG9zAzYEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1666397561/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.davewestclocks.co.uk%2fClockrepairs%2frepairing.a.vitascope.clock.htm/RK=2/RS=Y8eYLvU4HYLJYTF6Y5ni1NydhUY-

A look at this liknk Davewestclocks  you will find useful information

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Had one in the family since the 40's, Motor burnt out around 1980, had an RAAF instrument maker, now deceased, repair it.

I reassembled it, the colour wheel disintegrated, from lamp heat, small plunge coffee container fits the bill! Paint used was from hobby store, for spraying on glass. Now have fitted LED bulb, like stovelight, all goes well! 

The original wiring on thus clock, did have 3 strand, with the earthwire attaching to thechassis, would suggest surge protection type plug, as I think a lightening event could have caused the motor burnout. Cheers John