Local watch cleaning products for watch cleaning machines - Need some professional advice.

Hello,

I have two recently acquired two watch cleaning machines that I am in the process of restoring.

My local supply house does have a watch cleaning solution and rinse that I wanted to run past some of the wise minds here.

The cleaner is called Chronomex, Ive requested the data sheet for this so I cant say what is in it yet.

The rinse is pure Hexane as far as the data sheet says.

My question 1:
Is Hexane safe as a rinse? Does it dissolve the shelac or react with anything?

My question 2:

Can I put the balance complete into the watch cleaner (IF I HAVE IT ATTACHED TO THE MAINPLATE< OF COURSE)?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I wouldn't use Hexane. I just googled it and this is what I got.

Inhaling n-Hexane can irritate the nose, throat and lungs. ► Exposure can cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, lightheadedness and passing out. Higher levels can cause coma and death.

19 minutes ago, OTH said:

So this is the correct rinse agent, if used with caution? Does Hexane damage any components?

It is the correct rinse for your water free cleaning fluid. It is like  Naphta or lighter fluid and doesn‘t harm components.

Edited by Kalanag

4 hours ago, OTH said:

My local supply house does have a watch cleaning solution and rinse

if the watch material house sells this it would seem like it's probably safe to use on watches. Then in your profile you don't specify a location because I'm curious as to where you're located

On 10/19/2022 at 9:01 AM, OTH said:

Hello,

I have two recently acquired two watch cleaning machines that I am in the process of restoring.

My local supply house does have a watch cleaning solution and rinse that I wanted to run past some of the wise minds here.

The cleaner is called Chronomex, Ive requested the data sheet for this so I cant say what is in it yet.

The rinse is pure Hexane as far as the data sheet says.

My question 1:
Is Hexane safe as a rinse? Does it dissolve the shelac or react with anything?

My question 2:

Can I put the balance complete into the watch cleaner (IF I HAVE IT ATTACHED TO THE MAINPLATE< OF COURSE)?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you in South Africa perhaps? That sounds like the stuff BJ Oberholzer sells. Which, by the way, is exactly what I use. Chronomex for cleaning and their Hexane rinse afterwards. I've done many, many using an Ultrasonic and now recently a watch cleaning machine and I'm pretty happy with the results.

EDIT: I see now you're in South Africa so it's the same stuff I use. I have to admit I'm jealous that you've found watch cleaning machines locally to restore. I've been looking for ages till eventually building my own

Edited by gbyleveldt
  • Like 1

Ah thats great to hear! Glad to know theres someone else using the stuff from BJ. Oberholzer. I feel happier getting some now, thanks!

Was an extremely lucky find. Not much of that kind of stuff around anymore, especially here.

Will see if I come about any others so I can let you know.

3 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

Thanks, if you do find something let me know. Truth be told, I'm pretty happy with what I eventually built though. But another one would be a fun project to restore.

Do we get to see more cool vids of your "flying machine?" 

13 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

Do we get to see more cool vids of your "flying machine?" 

Haha, funny you should say that as I’ve refined it a little more today - even tested it on the dirtiest movement I could find. I’ll put a little something together and post it somewhere soon

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I was in the same situation where I couldn't buy or import commercial watch cleaning fluids so I decided to figure out what was in the commercial versions of watch cleaning solutions and make my own versions. My journey is documented in this forum and you can find it here.

I think I managed to do a fairly good job and I now use these fluids in my watch cleaning machine with great results. Let me know if you have any questions