Another golden opportunity?

About me: Retired, taking up this hobby at an advanced age, decent with my eyes and hands. I have been fixing flea market watches, mostly by replacing batteries, and learning how to handle simple things. I have replaced a movement in a vintage Timex, replaced a crystal in a vintage Benrus and vintage Omega. I have a few Bulovas that will provide good practice at servicing, I hope. And this Westclox, photos below.

I can't figure out how to open it. There appears to be a groove between back and case, but there also appears to be a bezel. And, before I apply way too much force to open that groove, there is the possibility that it is a frontloader. So, before I destroy something, I would appreciate some advice.

Best,

Del

GFZC4146.JPG

JMIP4683.JPG

NYHM6482.JPG

VPFO4046.JPG

17 minutes ago, DelK said:

About me: Retired, taking up this hobby at an advanced age, decent with my eyes and hands. I have been fixing flea market watches, mostly by replacing batteries, and learning how to handle simple things. I have replaced a movement in a vintage Timex, replaced a crystal in a vintage Benrus and vintage Omega. I have a few Bulovas that will provide good practice at servicing, I hope. And this Westclox, photos below.

I can't figure out how to open it. There appears to be a groove between back and case, but there also appears to be a bezel. And, before I apply way too much force to open that groove, there is the possibility that it is a frontloader. So, before I destroy something, I would appreciate some advice.

Best,

Del

GFZC4146.JPG

JMIP4683.JPG

NYHM6482.JPG

VPFO4046.JPG

Eyup delk. Both case back and bezel may come off. Look for a slight nick somewhere around the edge of both of them. It can be quite often opposite the crown, as long as a previous repairer has thought to replace it that way. Its can be something or barely anything so you may need a x10 loupe to find it. Go around and around both the back and bezel a few times it can be easily missed. If no nick then you may need something sharp to work your way in. Generally speaking if the watch has a bezel and it removes then the watch will come out that way after you have removed the movement's case screws that are at the back. But again this is not a given, there are always exceptions. As far as i know westclox are not like that, but not the name on this dial anyway delk   ???

• Like 2

The little that I have discovered about this is that LaSalle was the suburb of Chicago where Westclox had its plant. It used this label on watches and clocks. I suspect the name on the dial means less than the name on the back.

And thanks for the hints on back and bezel. Time to get out the loupe!

Best,

Del

Edited by DelK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DelK said:

suspect the name on the dial means less than the name on the back.

Yes its sometimes the case that the dial name is irrelevant to some degree.what is more important is the makers name on the movement itself and that name is not always the movements maker either if its an èbauche supplied to be assembled by a watch factory. Other letters and logos may be present to indicate the true maker.

• Like 1