1967 Bulova with 11AL movement

Got this interesting guy off eBay as a non-runner. It was fully wound to the point that I couldn't even disengage the click to let down the mainspring. I noticed the balance turned, but not easily, like it was glued in place.

Not wanting to force anything, I took it off, then noted the pallet fork snapped back and forth briskly, so I knew there was power through the train. Took off the balance jewels, and found out they were stuck together with goo, both top and bottom. You may have seen the photo in the "Stuck cap jewel" thread. It must have sat in a drawer for a reaaaaaaaaaally long time for the oil to turn to shellac like that.

I got the dried gunk off, put the jewels back in, and it sprung to life! What a fun feeling. It still needs a full service, and the hairspring looks a little suspect, but we're off to a good start.

I really love the face and case, even though it's a little small on my wrist. The movement is really slim, too. I dig it.

70a95b9f-937a-4ee3-aae9-6fa4414158f5.thumb.jpg.d73a0af2cdfce9cc178c9206bad88153.jpg

20221017_141755.thumb.jpg.7869f48e2ae7a6d4954cb1f461f90de4.jpg

20221017_141850.thumb.jpg.2f9008411e29e88228adbee75a5c7294.jpg

20221017_142108.thumb.jpg.6de691e1276c943de075930dcbe55504.jpg

20221017_143400.thumb.jpg.ddce9f5f7963cf2f06a9307e0e23f18c.jpg

108014607_RawPhoto.thumb.jpg.4bfaded884ec2f2fdd4a544098777cbc.jpg

image.png.df0f3c4d1eb85c9c1fb78b1719594d4e.png

Ready for cleaning. Such a nice, simple movement.

20221017_213459.thumb.jpg.f78094ab2a908cf7a43d662955a30f61.jpg

• Like 5

Got it cleaned up and back together! Did a preliminary run on the timegrapher after about 15 minutes after a full wind. I know amplitude is low, but I'm going to wear it around for a bit and see how it changes after a few days, then decide what to do with it. Maybe start by sourcing a new mainspring.

Gotta say, I'm pretty happy with the results. I paid a little more than I probably could have, but for something listed as a non-runner, it's not so bad.

Dial up:dialup.jpg

Dial down:dialdown.jpg

Crown up:crownup.jpg

Crown down:crowndown.jpg

I polished the original crystal, and of course didn't notice I put it back with the most noticeable scratch right at 12 o'clock...

20221019_221148.jpg

20221019_221048.jpg

Edited by ManSkirtBrew
Label photos

Love the dial.

Unfortunately pics not showing yet, so don't know what the amplitude is. The amplitude will usually go up after a days running - you can see an extra 20° . Did you use 9415 on the pallet jewels?

I wouldn't bother with a new mainspring, apart from (maybe) not being exactly flat, it looks excellent. You could buy a new one that doesn't look that good.

My first step with low amplitude, is reclean and oil the balance cap jewels.

Is there any excessive play in the barrel arbor bushing in the bridge?

4 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Unfortunately pics not showing yet

Well that's strange. They were there when I made the post last night, but now they're all broken. I also can't go back and edit any of my posts for some reason. Hope I didn't break any rules. I'll try attaching them to this post again.

I just tried uploading the images again and got an "unknown server error." I'll have to try again later. In the meantime, I've made an Imgur album here with the images.

Last night, amplitude was 256 dial up, 233 dial down last night. This morning it's 264 and 268, respectively. Beat error of 0.1, and losing less than a second a day. Really shows what a difference letting it run for a while after servicing makes.

Did you use 9415 on the pallet jewels?

I actually don't have 9415 yet, and have been using 9010 on the jewel faces. I've read that it's the best alternative.

Is there any excessive play in the barrel arbor bushing in the bridge?

No, there was barely any side shake at all. I even remembered to check it this time 😉

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Last night, amplitude was 256 dial up, 233 dial down last night. This morning it's 264 and 268, respectively. Beat error of 0.1, and losing less than a second a day. Really shows what a difference letting it run for a while after servicing makes.

I actually don't have 9415 yet, and have been using 9010 on the jewel faces. I've read that it's the best alternative.

No, there was barely any side shake at all. I even remembered to check it this time 😉

Those are excellent numbers - to get DD/DU so close shows you have got the balance pivots and jewels nice and clean !

9010 is fine on 18000/h pallet jewels - best to be sparing with it, as it can spread around.

• Like 1