Bronze Tweezers

chadders1966

Hi,

Having seen various recommendations for using bronze tweezers I have looked without success for any UK/European seller. The only seller for watchmaking ones listed on Ebay is in the US and hasn't responded to my requests for information. In the past Sutton Tools, despite mainly dealing in jewellery supplies, have said they will get me any item I'm interested in from the wholesalers. It's a Catch-22 though - how do I know whether I want to go to that expense when I don't know if I want them anyway?

Does anyone here use them? They are apparently similar to brass in that they don't leave marks, but are more hard wearing and don't deform as easily. As an experiment I did buy some sold on EBay (photos below). I do actually like these, but as you can see they are slightly large compared to the brass and steel watchmaking tweezers. I am sure I will get plenty of use out of them though.

Stephen

post-373-0-43051600-1435562797_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-15083400-1435562815_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Stephen,

Those seem pretty useable. No matter what you get you should always dress them. Brass is hard to get since the best ones are Dumont and nowhere to be found at any price. The other, regular kind, -- antimagnetic, stainless Steel, etc -- are not too good unless again you get Dumont. Bergeon and Horotec make pretty good ones too...they are all expensive. One thing about tweezers and optics is that you always get less than what you paid for.

I've had somewhat and ephemerous results with cheap tweezers as long as I was constantly dressing them. As you might well suspect, the whole point is to minimize flyers and damage to parts in addition to a reliable grip. I tend to use my tweezers rather abusive so dressing has become like a second nature to me...kind of like the way butchers iron their knives... :)

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

If you're looking for alternatives to bronze there are other nonmagnetic tweezers with incredibly outstanding characteristics. Unfortunately they seem to be very hard to find and you'll suffer sticker shock when you do.

So the alternative is something called Taxal From a company called Fontax. So tips are made out of the Taxal Ally of the handles are made out of something else. Visually they look like any other tweezers other than they seem the last forever exactly what they say they do.

http://fontax.ch/historic_071.htm

http://fontax.chez.com/Pages/Fontax.html

https://shop.bergeon.ch/Catalogue/PDF2/8097-A_-D%20DI%204.pdf

Hi,

No, I'm looking for bronze tweezers - as I said I am having difficulty finding any retailer that sells watchmaking ones. I have some of those Taxal Bergeon tweezers, and very good they are as well. I picked them up 2nd hand so the price wasn't too bad either ;). I've managed to get quite a few high quality tweezers that way. Although 2nd hand, as people spent quite a bit of money on them, they tend to be well looked after.

Hi,

the first link is a manufacturer I think, I've not found anybody who actually sells them to the general public. The second one has gone a bit awry? I think I know which seller it is though, one in the USA. Thanks anyway but as I stated I'm looking for a seller in UK/Europe. I've seen them at Beco Technic and the like, but not at any retailer.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i'm wondering what happens if you do. please tell. :)

As Bob says. The points are easily bent and do require re-shaping and dressing if dropped and land point down. In my case it was from about 8" into a stainless steel sink! :(

Thread resurrection :)

This seller on the Bay has several pairs of booze tweezers available..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bronze-Watchmakers-Tweezers-Swiss-made-ASCO-P5-Reduces-damage-and-marking-/331736850995?hash=item4d3d0ea233:g:IxkAAOSwHPlWdhqb

Booze tweezers?

For picking up those little airline bottles, maybe?

Anyway, thanks! I snagged one for myself.

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-S-Tracking-Number-Hozan-P-893-PHOSPHOR-BRONZE-TWEEZERS-from-Japan-/281847721072?hash=item419f6eec70:g:8oYAAOSwT5tWOazu

Was debating getting one of these Japanese made ones, but the Swiss ones look a little less chunky and better finished. ( and also has serrated grips, which might not be ideal )

Edited by Ishima

The serrated tips might actually be a good thing, I've never used tweezers like that, so I'll look forward to hearing your review.

While we're on the subject of tweezer materials can anyone talk about the different types of dumont steel tweezers, hi tic, carbon, domoxel, dumostar. etc.

I know that cousins supply the basic pros/cons but what are they like to use, for a watchmaker with no specific preferences, general work, what is the nicest to use for a pair of no.3? this probably has been discussed elsewhere. (i'm guessing it's a choice between hi-tec and original carbon)

Edited by Ishima