Pawn find, Omega Seamaster Cosmic (166.036) (very first repair/restoration attempt)

Hello everyone! 

So, finally, after months of waiting, tons of nerves lost countless hours spent online searching parts and information (not to mention wrong parts ordered and initial investment in tools).  I would like to present to you my very first attempt at repairing and servicing a Omega Seamaster Cosmic.

I call it the Pawn Omega. I found this watch online, on a local eBay-ish like site, where a guy having a pawn shop listed this piece. Judging by his reviews, and the way he was communicating, the person felt really-really sketchy. Nevertheless, I paid the guy and drove down to him around 200km back and forth (I did not want to wait for him shipping etc.). 

Initial input:  (The first one, although its not that informative).

- Watch not running.  

- Crystal was broken and missing the tension ring.  

- Dial dirty. But in really good condition (win win for me).

- After disassembly I found some screws just laying around. Automatic winding was damaged, assuming from the screws getting between the wheels.  

- Calendar plate had just one screw and that one was a wrong one. (Big thank you to this forum for the help in identifying the correct screws.) 

It felt like, that someone wanted to make a quick fix and just flip it, but it didn’t turn out as planned.  

Output:  

Well, judging by the looks, I personally think it turned out genuinely nice after all my manipulations. I am very happy with the result. What do you think? 

P.S. There is some corrosion on the bottom side of the case. Should I just leave it as is or is there a way to fix that also?  

before_1.jpeg

PXL_20221014_084811643.jpg

PXL_20221014_090811101.jpg

PXL_20221014_090822283.jpg

PXL_20221014_090934897.jpg

PXL_20221014_091337352.jpg

• Like 6

Honestly I didn't do much with the case. I am terrified of gold plated watches, as I have no idea how brittle that thing. Basically I stick to just cleaning and that's it. 

Would be nice to get rid of those corrosion mark on the bask of the case, but I have no idea now. 

Edited by swiss2k

Nice!  I hadn't seen an Omega with that style of case before; it looks pretty good that way!  
For the corrosion I would try using sticky tape to mask off the spots (like, just cut a small hole in the tape and place it over the affected area with the hole to access the spot) then I would dip a piece of pegwood in Brasso and spend some time scrubbing the spot.  You could check it with a loupe now and again.  Brasso should be safe for whatever the case composition is.  And, for whatever reason, if it looks like the spot you're working upon is being adversely affected by the Brasso, you can stop and do a cold water rinse.  
Silver is the only thing I can think of on which Brasso should not be used, so you will want to try to learn what kind of metal is under the gold plating.  And if it turns out to be a brass fill, then you will want to clean off the Brasso when you are done with the corrosion.  Not sure what to advise you in regard to the pitting that will be left behind.

4 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

For the corrosion I would try

Thank you for the advice, but its not just surface corrosion, its actually a deepening. And is brass (I think...) under the gold plating. 

722CA4FC-0670-4356-A3FF-885191B4BF30.jpeg

Edited by swiss2k