My Junk Shop Find Waltham.

bsshog40

It is  Gorgeous pocket watch to be sure, but pictures! You have to post pictures! Just being melodramatic...welcome to the forum bsshog! Usually when fellas overhaul a nice find like the one you have here they post pictures of what they did along the way. I love Waltham, but don't have any American movement watches. Kepp posting!

JC

Edited by noirrac1j

Everytime I see beauty such as this, I wonder why they didn't have display backs.

I've sometimes wondered just the same thing. The display backs were used mainly by salesmen for the watch companies' retail outlets, but I've no idea what percentage of regular, ordinary customers would buy them. Perhaps they were considered too fragile for everyday working use.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty nice work for a watch made in 1901! I'm always amazed at what these american and swiss companies were able to produce considering they had limited lighting and power systems. Many of the factories at this time still ran on hydro power and sunlight! Just amazing. These Appleton Tracey grade Walthams are some of my favorites due to the mirrored wheels and the sunken balance wheel. 

I found a couple of very similar Waltham movements while going through some stuff earlier. Funnily enough as a child I grew up right next door to the village of Waltham in the UK which is famed for its windmill and for its airfield RAF Waltham / Grimsby and former home to the 100 squadron. I'm guessing Waltham in Massachusetts derived its name from there and hence the Waltham Watch Company.

post-1462-0-48287800-1447699575_thumb.jp

post-1462-0-41962600-1447699583_thumb.jp

post-1462-0-86510800-1447699591_thumb.jp