has Bergeon manufactured Steiner jacot pivot tools in the past?

hi everybody

still in the active hunt for a jacot tool. I did a search on here and didn't quite find the answer so I'll ask my question: Was Steiner a stand alone maker of jacot tools or did Bergeon make the jacot tool and put the Steiner name to it? 

I'm liking this new sub topic format of our forums.  

thanks bud. reason being i was looking at a jacot tool the guy was advertising as such. something wasn't quite right about it, and I thought he was asking way too much for it. I was studying his pictures closely and doing a bit of research, I think the guy was using the "B" name to elicit such a price saying it was a bargain, new ones are this much, etc etc. I didn't buy into his schtick and I'm glad I didn't.  Instead I got a great deal on a near minty Ludwig and Fries jacot tool with a couple extras thrown in, on it's way.  bergeon wasn't signed anywhere on the tool nor the case it came in. Just Steiner. that's where I became suspicious.

thanks again. 

not getting notifications on replies to post-weird. not the first time this has happened on here.

Edited by MechanicMike
forgot some stuff!

Bergeon does tend to do a fair bit of markup but not sure how much really on high ticket items. The basic Jacot straight from Horia is about 2400 bucks, with center wheel runner up to 3k and then more if you get one with a moveable head (up down)- they are very expensive new. Secondhand they can go anywhere from a couple hundred up to 5 or 600 (sometimes more) depending on how big and complete the set it. There are sets that go down to 0.04mm at the small end, many stop at 0.07mm. Some sets have extra runners that do 0.005mm steps. Some with center wheel runner, and some with all the above. Might have the built in spring drive, etc.

One of the great things about Steiner/Horia, at least the "modern" ones, is they are very adjustable. And, parts are available.

But there were many other makers of these tools and most are really nice- post some pics of the Ludwig and Fries when it arrives!

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 10:56 PM, nickelsilver said:

But there were many other makers of these tools and most are really nice- post some pics of the Ludwig and Fries when it arrives!

I think I did pretty good. Ofrei has bergeon jacots for over 4 grand! the guy with the used one claiming to be bergeon wanted over $1500 bucks. nah. i'm good with this one. spring drive complete with original bow string and extra string works great and all the lanterns are intact. little clean up, a little buffing and a drop of oil i'm good to go. first one up is a center wheel from a Waltham size 0s pocketwatch but I don't think I have the right size pivot holder. says Ludwig & Fries on the box but looking under my loupe I see no signature on the tooling except for the number "32" stamped on one end. either way it's in great shape.

20221021_230100.jpg

20221021_230134.jpg

20221021_233431.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 4:15 AM, praezis said:

Ludwig and Fries was a wholesaler in Frankfurt/M. like Flume, Jacob etc.

Frank

did you take a close look at my pics? only the box says L and F., and I couldn't find any discernable signatures anywhere on the tool itself. it works wonderfully though. wondering what brand it could be and the L and F box? looking for the connection?