Hello! Beginner here (1950 Hamilton Railway Special)

mclimbin

Hi everyone!
These are my first beginning steps on a new journey. 
I just came into possession of my grandfather’s Hamilton Railway Special, a stainless steel one from 1950 (already did a bit of research). It looks nice but hasn’t run for decades. I wanted to see how much it would cost to get it running again, but all the local shops were super hesitant to even give me a ballpark figure. One even said that it would probably be more than the value of the watch. 

So, I thought I’d look into learning how to do it myself.  And here I am!

I’m a bit familiar with small scale stuff as I’m a miniature painter, and I’m excited to pull out my optivisor and learn about how watches work. 

Please look out for my thread in the main forum. 

Nice to meet you!

A83BE611-01F3-4ABD-B274-BCE00FDAF096.jpeg

Good advice from @nickelsilver - I have a Hamilton 992 Railway watch, nothing complicated about it, but it's not worth the risk of damaging yours before you become more skilled

I started on pocket watches, and I always advise beginners to do the same. It's easier to learn the necessary skills on the larger parts before moving on to wrist watches.

If you want them to run well, buy watches with at least 15 jewels. I have a collection of 16s Waltham's which I learned on. Nice quality and not too hard to find parts. And they look wonderful 

20141225_122724.thumb.jpg.5648c3035252fc0c14bd452abf274f3e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mclimbin said:

Thanks! I appreciate the advice.

Could you tell me what I should be looking for, and what price to expect for a “practice” pocket watch?

Hard to say. You could just buy some scrap movements to practice taking them apart, cleaning and putting them back together. Anything cheap with 7 jewels is OK to play around with, but if you want something that will be easier to get running well, and keep better time, go for at least 15 jewels.

I just did a search on ebay for "15 jewel pocket watch" and auctions beginning for a couple of ££. I don't know what they're finally selling for. Watch a few auctions and see. I imagine you should be able to get a working watch+case for <($)£30. 

Get something cheap but running to practice on. If you want something better, the American pocket watches are good - better than most of the Swiss. Waltham, Elgin, Hamilton etc. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mclimbin said:

grandfather’s Hamilton Railway Special

you never want to start on your grandfathers or any other families watch until you understand how to repair watches. Otherwise you might end up with a broken watch. I don't suppose you've figured out how to take the back off yet they typically unscrew. That's because there is more than one type of movement that could be a railroad special. So be nice to see what you have in the case.

then where do you live what country it helps when making recommendations for whereby things

• Like 1

Welcome! I started in much the same way. The advice you've gotten so far definitely matches my experience: start with pocket watches. Having moved to wristwatches and ladies' movements like the one pictured in my fingers here, I really appreciate having had experience taking apart and reassembling the MUCH larger pocket watch movements.

I started with Elgin 345 movements, but I'd definitely recommend what Mark recommends in his videos: get yourself a known-working, new movement to practice on, like the ST36/ETA6497 clone. eBay search example.

That way you have something that you know was working when you take it apart, so when you put it back together you'll know immediately if you did something wrong, and don't have to guess whether it's you or a broken bit in the movement.

image.thumb.png.b4ff99b9423f2a9f6e10b698e74a0169.png

Thank you for the advice and for the link. That’s exactly what I needed, as it’s tough to find a vintage movement that works for under $100. I’ll order it right away!

Also, here is a shot of the movement in my grandfather’s Hamilton. It looks to be in good shape, visually anyway. My mother actually told me yesterday that it was running fine until my sister got her hands on it when she was a little girl and over wound it. So that might be a good clue as to what is going on with the Hamilton. :)

43C57ED2-3DA9-4045-BE39-4B81E7B69967.jpeg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mclimbin said:

My mother actually told me yesterday that it was running fine until my sister got her hands on it when she was a little girl and over wound it.

typically with people who don't understand watches you will hear the term overwhelmed and that means for our discussion absolutely nothing. Fortunately you have a Hamilton 992B parts are readily available service information's available it's a really solid outstanding watch just very nicely made and it will keep really good time.

Then yes it's an unfortunate classic that people get into watches and play with them I've seen worse. One of the watches I had in for repair was missing its hairspring and I think there was something else it was missing in addition to the hairspring. So it was missing the case back to need a new case and a few other things plus the balance staff is broken on some of the screws were wrong somebody was attempting amateur watch repair or playing with the screws so I've seen worse

it looks to be visually intact I don't see anything missing it probably has a broken balance staff. Because it was probably dropped and that's an unfortunate problem a pocket watches they do not like to be dropped. Fortunately this is a relatively easy watch to change a staff it's a friction staff

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 9:26 AM, ManSkirtBrew said:

I'd definitely recommend what Mark recommends in his videos:

Hi again! Could you provide a link or the name of the youtuber who does these videos?
(I've found lots of videos already, but would really love to see one that is recommended--there are so many out there)

I was able to pick up a "cheap" pocket watch that seems to have been made in India--that is where it is shipping from. It's a 17 jewel pocketwatch for about $25, so I think that will be a good one to practice on.

I also bought a used Eljin movement on Ebay. They said that the watch "ticks" but runs slow when face up. This one was about $50. So I think this will be a good one for practice too. 

Do those sound reasonable?

I liked the idea of getting a clone like the link you provided, but those seem to be wrist watch movements--I definitely want to start with pocket watches, and might never even move on to wrists. 🙂

Thank you to everyone who has given comments so far. Very nice welcome to the community!

You have received great advice.  Let me underscore it with my own story.

I am the son of a watchmaker and learned the basics from my dad when I was a kid.  Once he shuffled off his mortal coil, I inherited his tools. For two years I have immersed myself into watchmaking.

Yet!  I have a Wittnauer Chronograph that was given to me by my Dad when I was a teen.  It is broken and remains broken because I am still not confident to repair this very personal watch.  Even after servicing perhaps 30+ watches successfully, I am thinking, maybe next year I will be competent to fix it.

The point is...be patient...get some watches...many watches, and develop the skills you need to work on your special watch.

Good luck and welcome aboard.  This forum has some great watchmakers...learn from them--I have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikepilk said:

"overwhelmed" - it happens to us all @JohnR725 🤣

Did you know you've never seen a message that I've hand typed. Every single thing here is with dictation software. The problem with dictation software is well sometimes I think it hates me. It doesn't always do the right word is not misspelled I can't find it with a spelling checker. Friends that I email comment a fine if they read it out loud to the word is not overwhelmed it should be over wound notice how dictation did that is two words anyway. So it's a dictation mistake the wrong word. That doesn't overwhelm me that just leads to anger and frustration but thank you for pointing it out.

It's a very common problem is that people will say things about watches with no real idea of the problem. It's also a common problem that people get into watches unskilled people oftentimes children but sometimes the children are much much older and age like adult children and play with the watches. Then things happen bad things happen. This watch still looks complete it's probably the balance staff. But if it has really dirty oil bad oil it may not be running at all. Then if you do wind it really really you can break something. Then I suppose you would be overwhelmed at what the problem is.

It's still a nice watch I have one on the bench yesterday I took it apart for cleaning up put it back together tomorrow. Then at least most of the parts are available. But that doesn't Spain somebody should start on that is their first watch never do family heirlooms is your first watch.

So providing my dictation software did write that might be readable by the way that was my second attempt I usually have to do everything at least twice sometimes three times the hopefully get everything worded correctly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

So no need to become overwound

Unfortunately it's a sensitive subject with me. It's a very frustrating thing to stare at the computer screen and well what you see isn't always what I speak. So I have frustrations getting what I want on the paper and then. For instance I answered something else today and I went through what I did previously for each the previous messages had obviously totally wrong words to almost the point where wondered how anyone could even read the thing so yes for me it's a sensitive subject. It's just frustrating because unfortunately I'm a perfectionist which by the way sucks Inwatch repair you do not want to be a perfectionist In watch repair. So unfortunately for me it's a sore subject as I've had people be critical of the past so I'm just bad with this

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 9:43 PM, JohnR725 said:

It's just frustrating because unfortunately I'm a perfectionist which by the way sucks Inwatch repair you do not want to be a perfectionist In watch repair.

Some of the wisest words I've read at WRT in all the years I've been a member. I'm unfortunately a perfectionist myself, and it is sometimes a curse. I can spend hours on something that has absolutely zero effect on the running and longevity of a movement. Anyway, I try to resist the perfectionist in me and I'm getting better at it!

Looks like your sister has only  broken a few teeth of the crown wheel, if which case your family will enjoy seeing your watch run if you simply replace the wheel. 

As is, If you gently turn the center wheel ( the biggest wheel ) with an oiler the oscilator should run.

Regds

On 10/10/2022 at 10:25 PM, mclimbin said:

Thank you for the advice and for the link. That’s exactly what I needed, as it’s tough to find a vintage movement that works for under $100. I’ll order it right away!

Also, here is a shot of the movement in my grandfather’s Hamilton. It looks to be in good shape, visually anyway. My mother actually told me yesterday that it was running fine until my sister got her hands on it when she was a little girl and over wound it. So that might be a good clue as to what is going on with the Hamilton. 🙂

43C57ED2-3DA9-4045-BE39-4B81E7B69967.jpeg

Technically a watch cant really be overwound, its possible to break the mainspring, stem or something else by forcing the winding mechanism. As John says the pivots on the balance staff that runs through the wheel with small studs or screws around its perimeter may be broken. You can test this first by twisting the watch in the palm of your hand to encourage the balance wheel into motion. Also find youself a very fine artist's paintbrush and then use this to carefull move the wheel side to side and up and down. Notice any wobbling of the wheel or excessive side movement ? The delicate nature of the paintbrush hairs will be enough to gently move the components  but protect them from inadvertent hand movements. 

On 10/11/2022 at 4:51 PM, JohnR725 said:

Did you know you've never seen a message that I've hand typed. Every single thing here is with dictation software. The problem with dictation software is well sometimes I think it hates me. It doesn't always do the right word is not misspelled I can't find it with a spelling checker. F

Yes John i think we all know mate  i think Mike was just have a little harmless micky take ( joke ) with you. Your information is invaluable John and we will take it any way that you can deliver it. I would like to a ask a favour though, if you can post an imojo of a smiling face 🌝 . I'd just love to see you do that and i know loads of us here would  too.  Pleeeeeeaase. 🙂

On 10/11/2022 at 8:43 PM, JohnR725 said:

I've had people be critical of the past so I'm just bad with this

Its not your problem John its their's, dont let it bother you mate . Just post me their address's and I'll send the boys round. 

11 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Some of the wisest words I've read at WRT in all the years I've been a member. I'm unfortunately a perfectionist myself, and it is sometimes a curse. I can spend hours on something that has absolutely zero effect on the running and longevity of a movement. Anyway, I try to resist the perfectionist in me and I'm getting better at it!

It does get better Watchie, i used to be terrible when i was a kid. You just have to learn to let things go a little and not be so  hard on yourself mate.

On 10/11/2022 at 4:51 PM, JohnR725 said:

I usually have to do everything at least twice sometimes three times the hopefully get everything worded correctly.

We appreciate all the time and effort you put into it John. I will buy you a beer and treat you to lunch one day.  My cousin lives in Washington State maybe not too far from you, so maybe one day who knows . 🙂  . Smiley face John please  smiley face lets have it mate.