What are the best books to teach repairing watches for beginners

As far as books are concerned,  Practical watch repairing  By Donald De Carle#

Books by Henry B fried are good starting points, and of course the online courses by our Amdinistrator Mark Lovick on the watch fix site, wich take you through the whole thing. There are some videos to watch for your interest.

The de Carle and Fried books are old standards and still valid. You may be able to find them in translated copies. The one I linked to (by Wiles) is pretty new I guess I'm concerned that English language books or videos are going to be difficult for you.

There are people here from all over it might be possible to find someone who can help with some of the technical translations. I know that GOOGLE doesn't always do a great job. I recently saw that there is an iPhone translate app that will (apparently) translate a page.

Edited by grsnovi

10 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

I know that GOOGLE doesn't always do a great job.

unfortunately it's not just Google it has issues translating. Translating a speaking the language in other words you need to order food at a restaurant is one thing translating technical materials is an entire another thing I discovered this once when I was having a section of a German book translated the person who had worked for the government as a translator had a hard time because he didn't know what all the technical words were. In the end he had the make up an entire little card file of all the technical words found in that paragraph so that things would make sense.

I've seen this when I'm looking at foreign language stuff on watches I remember looking up something related to timing machines and the entire translation was sprinkled with the word blood which did not really seem appropriate in the conversation at all. But there was and I have no idea why other than it just seemed very very strange.

then as we don't have a location for the original posting person I don't suppose we could find out what language you need to translate from?

• 5 months later...
On 10/3/2022 at 2:58 PM, grsnovi said:

You might also start with Alex's videos on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXV8h3I9pnfZuDpg6xEM_8w

These are amazing videos and done very well.  I want to also look at the videos that our Administrator of this site has too... can anyone comment on the difference between his video's (Mark's) and the link for Alex's video?  I have a feeling that Mark goes more in depth but not sure.

@Khaledabdwatchyour translation is fine... very understandable.

Edited by kd8tzc

5 hours ago, kd8tzc said:

can anyone comment on the difference between his video's (Mark's) and the link for Alex's video?

Alex's tutorial videos are free and they cover a LOT.

Mark's are pretty focused and the first 2 are really targeted at absolute beginners.

Alex's tend to answer specific questions.

Mark's generic ones I can't comment on as I haven't watched (m)any.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grsnovi said:

Alex's tutorial videos are free and they cover a LOT.

Mark's are pretty focused and the first 2 are really targeted at absolute beginners

You have to be careful here of what exactly were comparing. Mark has paid classes with videos but he also has a YouTube channel with lots of videos the same as Alex has videos and both of them on YouTube they are free marks videos can be found at the link below

https://www.youtube.com/@WatchRepairChannel

Then here's somebody just starting their new channel limited quantity of videos to look at

https://www.youtube.com/@leovidalwatches8208

Here's another interesting channel a professional sharing his knowledge with everybody always like to see things like that.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ChronoglideWatchmaking/videos

• Like 1

The Joseph Bulova School of Watchmaking Training Units are quite good. A pdf is available online for free download. 
And as already mentioned the books by Donald De Carle and Henry Fried are excellent. Second the suggestion about the book by Mark Wiles. Modern and geared to the novice. Read that before Fried or De Carle. 

Edited by JohnFrum
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnFrum said:

Joseph Bulova School of Watchmaking Training Units

Here's a link to the PDF for the book. You can either download sections or the entire book I would go for the entire book if you can because it's more complete than the sections. Then as a whole bunch of other interesting stuff here to download also

https://www.mybulova.com/vintage-bulova-catalogs

Here's an interesting book and an interesting website. You can look at the book online but it also downloaded in a variety of your favorite format. This is an interesting book as it's basically a training manual of how to service A variety of watches tools troubleshooting.

https://archive.org/details/TM9-1575

• Like 1