Probably going to get me hanged...

But I bought a couple of cheap scrap movements just to get used to working in the micro environment.
I have an andonstar microscope
some cheapo fleabay screwdrivers
and some brass tweezers...
and an air blower.

So my point is, I couldnt afford the oils as they are dearer than unicorn shit, and so used 3 in 1 and car grease for the heavier uses, and to my amazement the Cauny Anti magnetic I used this crap on actually runs and keeps really good time,
I didnt mess wiht the barrel or the spring as I have no spring winders...

So I know this is sacreligious and I do not recomend dousing your rolex in 3 in 1 but I was amazed at how a running watch like this, but running extemely poorly could be brought around so much by a dismantling,  dunking in degreasant parts cleaner for engine parts and then just oiled and greased with whatever was to hand...

Something similar to this

Vintage-CAUNY-PRIMA-15-Rubis-Cal-498-Mens.jpg

Edited by Anthony7
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Anthony7 said:

...I couldn't afford the oils as they are dearer than unicorn shit

You got that right!

I don't remember what Alex suggests in his lubrication video but I seem to recall it wasn't going out and purchasing $200 worth of Moebius oils for your first foray into watch repair.

Rather than "car grease" you might look at picking up some Molykote and Singer sewing machine oil might be better than 3-in-1 for doing jewels. 

While your "freshly lubricated" scrap movements may seem just fine after treating them with 3-in-1 and car grease, the 3-in-1 will likely dry out and get gummy after a while.

One of the guys here was in the process of assembling "starter kits" with small quantities of good watch oils but I don't know where he is on that project.

yes I agree this is not a long term solution and I have written a letter to santa telling him to bring me expensive greases and oils for christmas...(my how ones desires change with age) and this was more of an exercise in getting an old cheapo banger stripping it, and putting it back together using my 150 euro microscope...(yes I am investing in tools for this) which has been a great help to my eyesight as squinting down a loupe is just not for me. 

I would rather got the THX 1138 route and remotely manipulate things whilst looking into its rather largeish screen. Rather than looking directly at them via a loup, it works for me, as I have high visual and spatial awareness so grabbing things with tweezers sight unseen but on screen has been pretty easy for me.

But it's crap for filming as the microscope is so low you can't get your hand in under it with a screwy so your having to drag it out of vision all the time to nail somehting down. but I do not intend to start youtubing either on my van fixes or my watch repair as no one wants to hear a Yorkshireman chuntering throwing tools about and swearing all the time about stuff...

But It would probably go viral as the kids would have field day mashing it up probably.
but I do not want to be a tv star,
I leave that to those good at that...

But I see you have been following and replying to my posts and I thank you for your interest...But of course i am going to buy the oils mark recommended as if you want to seriously service a watch you need both them and an ultrasonic cleaning machine...
But as it stands I have spent more on tools and equipment than on watches...but I will be ready for the gem of a seamaster or rolex when i find it in a thrift store...

But my scores so far are

7009A achieved, although the intermediate date wheel was totally banjaxxed in both the movement I bought and the donor movement (i am now the man to see for 7009a parts) and i am begging anyone and everyone for their contribution of one of those. Although I have to tell the truth and I did destroy the first original balance in the 7009A with my hamfistedness but all in the learning curve. but the problem there is that the hour wheel spins loose probably because the intermediate date wheel is not there to hold it...but the second hand ticks along like a champion and the magic lever is working as it should so when I get the wheel it should be wearable...
and
The Unitas 176 Achieved
in the Cauny 17 rubis Antimagnetic which now works and keeps pretty good time with just 3 in 1 and car grease, but like you so rightly said probably not for very long...

37 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

You got that right!

I don't remember what Alex suggests in his lubrication video but I seem to recall it wasn't going out and purchasing $200 worth of Moebius oils for your first foray into watch repair.

Rather than "car grease" you might look at picking up some Molykote and Singer sewing machine oil might be better than 3-in-1 for doing jewels. 

While your "freshly lubricated" scrap movements may seem just fine after treating them with 3-in-1 and car grease, the 3-in-1 will likely dry out and get gummy after a while.

One of the guys here was in the process of assembling "starter kits" with small quantities of good watch oils but I don't know where he is on that project.

But I worked it out that if I greased the CV joints with braking grease and the rest of the grease points on my Renault master van, then the whole vehicle would be worth more than a Ferrarri...

Edited by Anthony7
  • Like 1

I would never criticize anyone for working within his or her means.  If you are getting any results or encouragement using what you have or can afford at this time, more power to you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.  Karl Marx

I do hope Santa comes through for you.

Good luck and keep plugging away.

PS: that's a handsome looking watch.

Shane 

• Like 1

Please, whatever you do, don’t let lack of funds stop you from getting into this hobby. As long as these pieces are for your own use, you pretty much have Carte Blanche to use whatever you can afford. In fact, yours is the best approach; as you learn you get what you need. We’ve all fallen in the trap of putting together an impressive list of “essentials” and that list becomes expensive quick - with the risk that half the stuff ends up not being used. So no hanging here, you do what you can justify and grow from there!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Anthony7 said:

But I bought a couple of cheap scrap movements just to get used to working in the micro environment.
and an air blower.

So my point is, I couldnt afford the oils as they are dearer than unicorn shit, and so used 3 in 1 and car grease for the heavier uses, and to my amazement the Cauny Anti magnetic I used this crap on actually runs and keeps really good time,

So I know this is sacreligious and I do not recomend dousing your rolex in 3 in 1 but I was amazed at how a running watch like this, but running extemely poorly could be brought around so much by a dismantling,  dunking in degreasant parts cleaner for engine parts and then just oiled and greased with whatever was to hand...

Haha. Watch repair on the cheap eh. Its about longevity mate. I will give you 2 weeks if you are lucky before you have an issue🤦‍♂️. The unicorn dodo and spit  gives you a lot longer running time if correctly applied. 👍

10 hours ago, grsnovi said:

You got that right!

It wont take long G. I went a level up on Tony's lubes.  I got a month of wrist time and a shed load of oxidation damage. The 3 in 1 will spread quickly through the movement contaminating everything in its wake. ( lol was that too dramatic 🤣  )

and an air blower.

Novastar is a much cheaper option than Moebius.  I would say a reasonable choice for beginning.

9 hours ago, Anthony7 said:

a Yorkshireman chuntering throwing tools about and swearing all the time about stuff...

Haha Eyup mucker. Snap, but not on the throwing tools , they are far too expensive 🙄

yes I agree this is not a long term solution and I have written a letter to santa telling him to bring me expensive greases and oils for christmas...(my how ones desires change with age) and this was more of an exercise in getting an old cheapo banger stripping it, and putting it back together using my 150 euro microscope...(yes I am investing in tools for this) which has been a great help to my eyesight as squinting down a loupe is just not for me. 

I would rather got the THX 1138 route and remotely manipulate things whilst looking into its rather largeish screen. Rather than looking directly at them via a loup, it works for me, as I have high visual and spatial awareness so grabbing things with tweezers sight unseen but on screen has been pretty easy for me.

But it's crap for filming as the microscope is so low you can't get your hand in under it with a screwy so your having to drag it out of vision all the time to nail somehting down. but I do not intend to start youtubing either on my van fixes or my watch repair as no one wants to hear a Yorkshireman chuntering throwing tools about and swearing all the time about stuff...

But It would probably go viral as the kids would have field day mashing it up probably.
but I do not want to be a tv star,
I leave that to those good at that...

But I see you have been following and replying to my posts and I thank you for your interest...But of course i am going to buy the oils mark recommended as if you want to seriously service a watch you need both them and an ultrasonic cleaning machine...
But as it stands I have spent more on tools and equipment than on watches...but I will be ready for the gem of a seamaster or rolex when i find it in a thrift store...

But my scores so far are

7009A achieved, although the intermediate date wheel was totally banjaxxed in both the movement I bought and the donor movement (i am now the man to see for 7009a parts) and i am begging anyone and everyone for their contribution of one of those. Although I have to tell the truth and I did destroy the first original balance in the 7009A with my hamfistedness but all in the learning curve. but the problem there is that the hour wheel spins loose probably because the intermediate date wheel is not there to hold it...but the second hand ticks along like a champion and the magic lever is working as it should so when I get the wheel it should be wearable...
and
The Unitas 176 Achieved
in the Cauny 17 rubis Antimagnetic which now works and keeps pretty good time with just 3 in 1 and car grease, but like you so rightly said probably not for very long...

But I worked it out that if I greased the CV joints with braking grease and the rest of the grease points on my Renault master van, then the whole vehicle would be worth more than a Ferrarri...

11 hours ago, Anthony7 said:

and an air blower.

That Cauny is a nice watch of fair quality as well. I nearly bought one a while back at a boot but the guy was asking too much and the dial was a bit battered. Serious though Tony i think i would be puling  those lubes from this watch . I can see its been mentioned to go with what you have and learn from that and i can agree to a point. But i did similar to you and i learned the hard way with a very sentimental watch as i had no idea what i was doing at the time. There is the potential here to damage a 100 -150 quid watch mate. If its a Jumbo you can add another 200 to that, gold another 400 hundred to that.

I suppose my last comment did sound a bit optimistic (Friday night, who can blame me).

Up to a point, you do get what you pay for.  I myself have unintentionally been bitten from a poorly chosen lubricant. (Anchor clock oil) it wasn't chosen for price rather for convenience.  As has been noted above, quality, precious, sentimental and those belonging to others should wait for your skills and backing to improve.  In my situation, everything involved was all my own and the cost of my experience was mostly just my time and frustration.  Everything I used Anchor clock oil on now needs to be disassembled and cleaned again.  Some of us are unfortunately doomed to learn from our own failures.  If you are willing to chalk any loss up to your learning and experience, have at.

As they say, "Investment involves the risk of loss".

Everyone, have a great weekend.

Shane 

• Like 1

It might be interesting to hear that Dr. Roland Ranfft as a watch enthusiast and creator of the worlds greatest watch caliber datebase claims to successfully use just three lubricants for watch services: a thick oil, a thin oil and a PTFE grease. All are synthetics! He uses the PTFE grease for barrel walls of automatics also.

• Like 2

But I am intending to do a proper job on this Cauny, its not the one pictured its just an ordinary 17 rubis antimagnetic with a UT 176 movement in it, was running like a bag of spanners when I bought it but was running...

Need a new crystal for it, and I've read that is a dark art so may just take it to a jewellers for that and a nice leather strap. Am also intending to get into refinishing the case as all the gowld plating has come off so totally strip it and regold plate the sucker...but its to me a 30 buck watch I bought at a flea Market in Costa Da Caparica just across the water from Lisbon where I am now living... Which is partly all the real reason for all the swearing and tool throwing as it is so hot here, that sometimes your head just goes...

But I just thought it would be an interesting experiment to just strip and service a watch with what I had to hand and see if it improved. It now runs flawlessly and I;ve had no issues with it other than people saying it would only run for two days and they are WRONG.

I also bought a Seiko 5 7009a that I also serviced and bought a scrap movement for...got that running too, but its missing a intermediate date wheel, banjaxxed in both movements, teeth mashed in a certain spot so I am thinking that might be a known issue with these. but again got it running...
Also looking for an original strap for that so anyone thats got anything let me know..Also have a lot of spare parts for the 7009A so I'm the man if you need owt..going cheap...

Some nice finds.

20220619_192520.jpg

20220619_192503.jpg

20220619_192437.jpg

20220619_175338.jpg

20220619_175322.jpg

20220619_175211.jpg

20220619_175200.jpg

20220619_175149.jpg

20220619_175132.jpg

Am also looking for a minute hand for that Cauny as that has floated...

53 minutes ago, Anthony7 said:

But I am intending to do a proper job on this Cauny, its not the one pictured its just an ordinary 17 rubis antimagnetic with a UT 176 movement in it, was running like a bag of spanners when I bought it but was running...

Need a new crystal for it, and I've read that is a dark art so may just take it to a jewellers for that and a nice leather strap. Am also intending to get into refinishing the case as all the gowld plating has come off so totally strip it and regold plate the sucker...but its to me a 30 buck watch I bought at a flea Market in Costa Da Caparica just across the water from Lisbon where I am now living... Which is partly all the real reason for all the swearing and tool throwing as it is so hot here, that sometimes your head just goes...

But I just thought it would be an interesting experiment to just strip and service a watch with what I had to hand and see if it improved. It now runs flawlessly and I;ve had no issues with it other than people saying it would only run for two days and they are WRONG.

I also bought a Seiko 5 7009a that I also serviced and bought a scrap movement for...got that running too, but its missing a intermediate date wheel, banjaxxed in both movements, teeth mashed in a certain spot so I am thinking that might be a known issue with these. but again got it running...
Also looking for an original strap for that so anyone thats got anything let me know..Also have a lot of spare parts for the 7009A so I'm the man if you need owt..going cheap...

Some nice finds.

20220619_192520.jpg

20220619_192503.jpg

20220619_192437.jpg

20220619_175338.jpg

20220619_175322.jpg

20220619_175211.jpg

20220619_175200.jpg

20220619_175149.jpg

20220619_175132.jpg

Am also looking for a minute hand for that Cauny as that has floated...

Lol. Mate they do if you're not watching them, the little sub hands sprout legs and run away. Haha so your Cauny is not quite the little gem i assumed from your picture. Still if the movement is ok a nice dial and case restoration project to get stuck into. And also an interesting experiment,  i cant agree more with discovering for yourself why service and repair is done a particular way. 2 days not much can happen in that time . Tbh the watch would run dry for some time, but you will have issues Tony in the not too distant future as soon as the 3 in 1 spreads to the hairspring.  

2 hours ago, Anthony7 said:

there wasnt that much put on there only tiny little amounts as per any watch oil, so I doubt we'll see any real contamination...but its going to get a proper servicing when I get the proper oils.

Will you let us know when something starts to happen as regards to timekeeping , stoppage and /or any detrimental effects to the movement . Rather interesting experiment Tony. Thanks 👍

wow I can tell you're a wezzer, like a dog wi a bone...
but its been battling like a champ...
but I am just mugged off I lost the bleeding minute hand...
stuff just goes into void...
and the last time i searched the floor this much was when I dropped an eighth of hash back in the 80's...lol...
Whereas all I'm doing now is sniffing dust...

but gone is gone and like I said these are just cadavers for me to practice on...
but I'd wear the cauny as its got old school charm but one as nice as that picture but I dont mind a bit of retro wear and patina...
but I also like em looking brand new and gold...

which is why I like the nekkid watchmakers vids...

he takes them old dogs and man the job he does...
What that guy doesnt know about polishing isnt woth knowing.
A proper brummie craftsman...

All artisans down there...

Mark as well and Stian, brilliant inspiring work...
but everyone has their own approach...

me I personally think its not a crime to restore to "as was"...

I mean if I do up a car I dont leave a shit paint job on it and call it patina...
but thats a different world...

Moral of this story, i'd say...
Any cleaning and lubrication of any machine,
is better than no degreasing and lubrication of any machine...

wow I can tell you're a wezzer, like a dog wi a bone...
but its been battling like a champ...
but I am just mugged off I lost the bleeding minute hand...
and the last time i searched the floor this much was when I dropped an eighth of hash back in the 80's...lol...
Whereas all I'm doing now is sniffing dust...

Haha. Mate you have no idea how right you are, i dont let anything go, but actually east Yorkshire. Just interested to see how things go thats all. I also love watching Jo, fantasic at case restoration and as nutty as a fruitcake. Where  you from originally matey ? poor forum they're starting to think   oh crap noooo not another one of them 😅

mugged off I lost the bleeding minute hand...

A good strong magnet mucka, I'm sure you'll have an old car subwoofa to rob one from. We dont bin aught either. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

Originally from Gipsyville grew up there in the 70's, went to Francis Askew and Sydney Smith. then lived in Europe in Holland came back and ended up living on Coronation Road North off Priory Rd...Always nice to meet a fellow Hullensian from the Kingstown...

Then moved back to Holland again in 2008 then moved to Lisbon about 5 months ago...living there now...

Studied electronic engineering at Hull College and University of Hull, then got into watching videos of watch repair and stripdowns during lockdown as I found them relaxing and been into it ever since. Have always been into cars so taking stuff to bits mending it and putting it all back together has always been my thing since I was a kid. Toys, radios, bikes, motorbikes, cars, electronics and now micro mechanics...

On 10/5/2022 at 5:12 PM, Anthony7 said:

Originally from Gipsyville grew up there in the 70's, went to Francis Askew and Sydney Smith. then lived in Europe in Holland came back and ended up living on Coronation Road North off Priory Rd...Always nice to meet a fellow Hullensian from the Kingstown...

Then moved back to Holland again in 2008 then moved to Lisbon about 5 months ago...living there now...

Studied electronic engineering at Hull College and University of Hull, then got into watching videos of watch repair and stripdowns during lockdown as I found them relaxing and been into it ever since. Have always been into cars so taking stuff to bits mending it and putting it all back together has always been my thing since I was a kid. Toys, radios, bikes, motorbikes, cars, electronics and now micro mechanics...

Coronation road, off hotham road near the cop station, been in there a few times with producers. Not far from me in Cottingham,  small world , maybe passed each other in the pubs in Cott, Railway, Duke, Tavern, King Billy, Bluebell, Tiger, Cross keys, Fair maid. Same here always  fixed stuff , cars , bikes anything mechanical, started when i was five fixing my old mans radio that didnt need fixing,  he wasn't impressed 🤣