Omega Geneve Automatic, rare or not desirable? (166.0117 - cal. 1012)

Hello everyone, hope you are doing good! 

To keep it short. I have this (in my opinion) nice-looking Omega Genève Automatic. Witch I like and wear every day. The crystal is quite worn off, so I thought I would fresh it up a or change it. Well, after I took it off, I realized that the glass is, as I think, not belonging to this model. So, I tried googling, but with no luck.  

Is it possible, someone might know what would be the right size, shape or part number? Should it be armored?

Or is this a fit and check kind of thing? Either you like it or not?  

Thank you in advance!  

msg639303616-44163.jpg

msg639303616-44165.jpg

Edited by swiss2k

Omega crystals usually have the omega logo on the inside surface, in the dead centre of the crystal. It is very tiny and feint and easily missed. Hold it up to a light and use a loupe to check.

If it has the omega logo, then it most probably is the original crystal.

Scratches can be buffed out quite easily. I like to use the new, foam type nail buffs. I use them to wet sand the scratches out. Start with the coarse one first. The crystal will go blur and frosted but that is normal. Then switch to the medium grit. The crystal will start to clear up and you can check if the deepest scratches have been buffed out. If not, go back to the coarse buff. Work your way up to the fine buff and check for scratches. You might have to do this several times to get most of the scratches out.

-388710906-1042591687.thumb.jpg.7898ed1b895eb9d5dc1c84c4eff9a72c.jpg

SG$ 1.75 | 1/2/3/4Pcs Nail Polisher Block Nail Buffer File Polishing Block Manicure Tools Buffs For Manicure Art Beauty Nail Polisher
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mraaWFm

I like to do a final polish with a table top polishing machine, fitted with a wool mop. But equally good results can be achieved with Polywatch crystal polish and polishing by hand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hm. Mine is 1012 so pritty similar with 1020/1022, I think? 

Tension ring... to be honest I didn't find much proof as on the pictures I did see a lot of different crystals. But thank you for the info! 

s-l1600.jpg

So, PZ5200 is 31,62mm (316?) and 3,7mm high. 

In the Sternkreuz Gesamtkatalog G22, PZ5200 equivalent is XAC316.549 witch is 31,6mm and 2,5mm high.

One certain thing is that both have a tension ring. But did that model have that?

Edited by swiss2k

12 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

If it has the omega logo, then it most probably is the original crystal.

I ordered an Omega crystal replacement from a well know material house in the UK and it was clearly stated on their site that it was not an original Omega crystal. Guess what, when it arrived it had a tiny Omega logo in the dead centre of the crystal only visible under strong magnification. I guess someone in the warehouse mistakenly picked it from the Omega box of crystals 😉 Anyway, I didn't mind and the crystal fitted perfectly.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, swiss2k said:

Hello everyone, hope you are doing good! 

To keep it short. I have this (in my opinion) nice-looking Omega Genève Automatic. Witch I like and wear every day. The crystal is quite worn off, so I thought I would fresh it up a or change it. Well, after I took it off, I realized that the glass is, as I think, not belonging to this model. So, I tried googling, but with no luck.  

Is it possible, someone might know what would be the right size, shape or part number? Should it be armored?

Or is this a fit and check kind of thing? Either you like it or not?  

Thank you in advance!  

msg639303616-44163.jpg

msg639303616-44165.jpg

Not sure what you are worried about 2k ? Its a nice little vintage watch.👍

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Not sure what you are worried about 2k ? Its a nice little vintage watch.👍

Hello @Neverenoughwatches. Well I just joined the watch-collect/build thing, so basically I have not much experience at all. But from what I have noticed you can't find as much information as you can on other models. But I personally do really like them. 

32 minutes ago, swiss2k said:

Hello @Neverenoughwatches. Well I just joined the watch-collect/build thing, so basically I have not much experience at all. But from what I have noticed you can't find as much information as you can on other models. But I personally do really like them. 

The Geneve, not as popular as the Seamaster of the same era, though i think there is a Seamaster Geneve also. Possibly on the same playing field as a Deville. The Geneve so named after the Geneva Observatory where Omega gained acclaim for very accurate chronometers. Some good history from Omega going back to the mids 1800s. Known very well among collectors for the Speedmaster Moonwatch, Bond watches, pioneers of the co axial escapement invented by our very famous English George Daniels. 

• Thanks 1