Hi I'm a newbie to this forum. I've been collecting watches since 2014. At present I own over 100 wrist watches.. everything from new to vintage from Rolex to Timex. I've also sold at least 50 watches in that time period. I can regulate mechanical / automatic watches and change batteries in quartz watches and do very very minor repairs but that's as far as I'm able to go. Presently I'm interested in pocket watches and have acquired a 1927 Hamilton grade 992. It seems to be in good condition sets runs and keeps good time. On a full wind it will last 50 hours. However the numbers on the time grapher make it appear as though the movement is not all that healthy. It is becoming more and more difficult for me to find watchmakers who can service my watches. The Rolexes are not a problem as I send them all back to Rolex of New York. But for instance for this newly acquired pocket watch I am at a loss to find someone to service/repair if necessary. I guess what I'm asking for is a recommendation from someone who has experienced dealing with a watchmaker who can handle this type of service/repair. I'd appreciate any help thanks . 

4 hours ago, Watchnutty said:

However the numbers on the time grapher make it appear as though the movement is not all that healthy.

I don't suppose we can have a picture of this?

4 hours ago, Watchnutty said:

But for instance for this newly acquired pocket watch I am at a loss to find someone to service/repair if necessary. I guess what I'm asking for is a recommendation from someone who has experienced dealing with a watchmaker who can handle this type of service/repair. I'd appreciate any help thanks . 

13 minutes ago, dadistic said:

What is your location? 

yes that's definitely going to be the factor as to what part of the plan that you live on. Or how far are you willing to send your watch away.

On 9/27/2022 at 5:17 AM, Watchnutty said:

a 1927 Hamilton grade 992. It seems to be in good condition sets runs and keeps good time. On a full wind it will last 50 hours.

I would say that a 90+ year old watch that "keeps good time" and runs for 50 hours really doesn't need work. It could be that you're using an incorrect value for the LIFT ANGLE on your time grapher.

Alternatively, you could explore learning enough to service your stable of watches on your own.

Mark has a series of on-line courses that will get you started and there are several enjoyable YouTube channels (besides Mark's) where experienced watch makers ply their craft usually showing the tear down, cleaning, re-assembly and lubrication. Some also do case and bracelet restoration.

I'm not sure what's going on but it seems like I'm unable to reply to the individual posts. My status is showing as inactive for some reason. But if this message gets through and answer to the first question I saw was I'm located in upstate New York it really doesn't matter where I have to send the watch because I'm willing to accept any costs involved in having it repaired. As to the question of lift angle it's the first thing I check and for the 992 as well as the 992b the left angle should be set at 48°. In addition to an average low amplitude of about 235 to 240 in pendant right and pendant left there's a wide swing from about +4 seconds a day in most of the other positions to minus 27 and -12 respectively. I've seen the beat error as high as .04 and as low as 0 depending on position which I'm not overly concerned about. But since I only see one service mark inside the case back lid and the watch is over 90 years old I'd like to have it serviced and brought back to as close to the adjusted six positions as possible given the excellent condition it's in otherwise.

3 hours ago, Watchnutty said:

watch is over 90 years old I'd like to have it serviced and brought back to as close to the adjusted six positions as possible given the excellent condition it's in otherwise

I would be curious where you got those numbers from

3 hours ago, Watchnutty said:

In addition to an average low amplitude of about 235 to 240 in pendant right and pendant left there's a wide swing from about +4 seconds a day in most of the other positions to minus 27 and -12 respectively. I've seen the beat error as high as .04 and as low as 0 depending on position which I'm not overly concerned about. But since I only see one service mark inside the case back lid and the watch is over 90 years old I'd like to have it serviced and brought back to as close to the adjusted six positions as possible given the excellent condition it's in otherwise.

just as a reminder were talking about a railroad grade pocket watch versus a Rolex watch as the timing specifications are a little bit different. If you look at Rolex timing specifications they will tell you what a maximum beat error is because they assume you have a modern timing machine. They're not concerned about amplitude except at 24 hours. But the watch companies are concerned about is whether their watches keep time over 24 hours. The problem with a timing machine is it tells you instantaneously what the watches doing now it does not tell you what your watch is going to do over 24 hours. But it does gives some indications like sounds like you have a poising airline your balance wheel

then as you want your watch restored to factory specification timing I assume you actually have the factory specifications?

• Confused 1

Could someone please notify the administrator that I am unable to respond to individual posts or send email to individual users. It keeps saying that I'm allowed only zero posts per day and I'm still in the inactive status. The only thing available to me is to post a reply to the thread. Thank you

Thanks! 

Thanks! 

Okay I'm now able to respond properly in as much as the administrator has fixed my account

Having checked the watch thoroughly and have determined that the correct lift angle is 48°(I obtained that information off the internet and confirmed it by placing a small marker on the balance wheel @180 degrees and used my time grapher) I have also researched on the internet what the specs are for the watch when it was made and how many maximum seconds a day allowed for each position.

What I have determined is that after adjusting the daily rate I experience  +4 seconds in all positions except pendant right, or pendant left and an average beat error of .02-.03 However the only acceptable amplitude of between 275 and 280 is obtained in the face up position. Once the watch is placed in any other position the amplitude drops to between 225 and 230. Pendent right the daily rate drops to -17, and pendant left to -27. Also I believe I hear a small rattle when the watch is moved up and down but not side to side. Problem with the balance staff?? At any rate the watch is in wonderful condition and I'd like to have it serviced and restored to its original specifications. If anyone knows of anyone who can do the work preferably in the United States but I'm not opposed to sending it to Europe, please let me know. 

Edited by Watchnutty