Offset cannon pinion - removing the friction pinion

I'm working on a Bulova 11AOCD that has an offset cannon pinion and I need to remove the friction pinion from the arbor.

SSP_850.thumb.jpg.ffe27c9ebbfa4854075a65f9dd6674d2.jpg

I was hoping I could use my staking set with one of the roller remover stumps but the wheel is too large to fit into the stump opening.

SSP_849.thumb.jpg.c3205f6fdc7523435600894212e4bb88.jpg

Any suggestions on how to get the friction pinion off? My first thought is to slip something stiff between the two pinions to create a base and then use a presto style cannon pinion tool to lever it off, but I'm worried I may bend/break something. I have a handful of these movements so if there is a tool specific for this function I may purchase it.

Edited by GuyMontag

1 minute ago, GuyMontag said:

I'm working on a Bulova 11AOCD that has an offset cannon pinion and I need to remove the friction pinion from the arbor.

SSP_850.thumb.jpg.ffe27c9ebbfa4854075a65f9dd6674d2.jpg

I was hoping I could use my staking set with one of the roller remover stumps but the wheel is too large to fit into the stump opening.

SSP_849.thumb.jpg.c3205f6fdc7523435600894212e4bb88.jpg

Any suggestions on how to get the friction pinion off? My first thought is to slip something stiff between the two pinions to create a base and then use a presto style cannon pinion tool to lever it off. I have a handful of these movements so if there is a tool specific for this function I may purchase it.

Oooooo me me me me me please. I have this memememememe. Apparently i have this tool which is great, Nicklesilver Identified it for me unfortunately they are as rare as rockinghorse dodo. I will post you a picture in after I've made a cuppa. I'm all excited now i thought it would never be seen again. 

17 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I usually just grip the upper pinion in a pin vise, hold the wheel in my left hand and twist and pull it out gently.

I would have thought that the pin vise might damage the pinion leaves, but that gave me confidence to try using my MC cannon pinion remover as I wouldn't think it would use more force than a pin vise. It worked!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GuyMontag said:

I would have thought that the pin vise might damage the pinion leaves, but that gave me confidence to try using my MC cannon pinion remover as I wouldn't think it would use more force than a pin vise. It worked!

Aw sorry mate i forgot all about it. This is the offset cannon pinion remover, bit late now sorry.

16643085068659039901992697665542.jpg

16643085489774787922609673941350.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Aw sorry mate i forgot all about it. This is the offset cannon pinion remover, bit late now sorry.

No worries 🙂 That looks interesting. Any idea what the tool is called? I guess you would close the "jaws", slip it between the upper/lower pinions and when you squeeze the handle it opens the jaws and separates the pinions? It's hard to tell from the photo but the jaws look like they might be too thick to get between the one I was just working on.

Edited by GuyMontag

11 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

No worries 🙂 That looks interesting. Any idea what the tool is called? I guess you would close the "jaws", slip it between the upper/lower pinions and when you squeeze the handle it opens the jaws and separates the pinions? It's hard to tell from the photo but the jaws look like they might be too thick to get between the one I was just working on.

According to Nicklesilver that is exactly what it is called. The jaws are actually recessed so a lot thinner than they look. So my curiosity sparked up and i had a measure. A fraction under 0.7mm. I am guessing but i think Nicklesilver is the only other person that has one here. Never heard them mentioned until i was wanting to know what it was.

14 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

According to Nicklesilver that is exactly what it is called. The jaws are actually recessed so a lot thinner than they look. So my curiosity sparked up and i had a measure. A fraction under 0.7mm. I am guessing but i think Nicklesilver is the only other person that has one here. Never heard them mentioned until i was wanting to know what it was.

At least you got it sorted with some good initiative and a sprinkling of bravery . What all good watch repairers endeavour to acquire 👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

I would have thought that the pin vise might damage the pinion leaves,

My pin vise jaws are made of brass, so it won't hurt the pinion leaves.

BTW, you didn't need to use the #11 blades to raise the height. The plastic tip of the cannon pinion puller can be screwed out adjust the position of the jaws.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

My pin vise jaws are made of brass, so it won't hurt the pinion leaves.

BTW, you didn't need to use the #11 blades to raise the height. The plastic tip of the cannon pinion puller can be screwed out adjust the position of the jaws.

I have two of those cannon pinion pullers with slightly different designs but I just tried turning them and neither of them seem to have that feature 😞

5 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

I have two of those cannon pinion pullers with slightly different designs but I just tried turning them and neither of them seem to have that feature 😞

If you take a look at your CP pullers, that brown (used to be red) plastic ring on the front, can it be unscrewed? If it can, unscrewing it out would effectively add distance to the height of the jaws. On some big pocket watches, this ring might need to be unscrewed a bit to get enough height to get the CP off the centre wheel.