Checking Out The New Canon 70D Dslr

I picked up the new DSLR camera today - a Canon EOS 70D SLR - and have been getting to grips with it for the last 3 hours or so. The bundle comes with an 18mm-135mm zoom lens, and I've spent the last few days watching web tutorial after web tutorial on the camera - and on the Lightroom software, which I have on a 30-day trial. My Mac Book can only take Lightroom 4.4, so the Lightroom program can't handle Canon raw files. Luckily, I was able to download Adobe DNG converter - which converts the CR2 files to DNG format - and Lightroom can read these... Thank the lord for Internet discussion groups - someone has usually asked these questions before, and got answers!

I had a quick play with the old Super Takumar 55mm lens from my Pentax, but haven't got round to shooting in raw with it yet. I also got myself a tripod which can be angled for shooting on to a table top - with watches in mind. Anyway, here's a quick JPEG (14Mb in size) in my lounge about 30 minutes ago - processed with Lightroom.

post-64-0-87907100-1435259018_thumb.jpg

I picked up the new DSLR camera today - a Canon EOS 70D but haven't got round to shooting in raw with it yet.

Excellent camera Will, but please don't post a picture of you shooting I got the raw! :D

I managed a few quick test shots with the 55mm, and with a Soligor 200mm, which looked OK but not considered enough in their composition to be a true test. I'll try some more tomorrow afternoon. I've also picked up a Takumar 135mm on eBay - excellent condition for £30 - and it'll be interesting to see how that fares.

I picked this up this macro lens on the bay a couple of weeks ago for £30, and have yet to put it to the test properly. Seeming if the label around the lens is removed, along with the three screws underneath, you can remove the front element to allow extremely close macro pictures to be taken.

post-124-0-41332600-1435267328_thumb.jpg

That looks interesting - you must let us know how you get on. As far as macro is concerned, I have a set of 3 extension rings - 1+2+3 - for the old 55mm Takumar, which sit between the lens and the body. So I'll be testing these out on the Canon as well during the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got round to testing out the old Super Takumar 55mm lens on the Canon EOS 70D body today - and grabbed my Elgin 571 "B.W. Raymond" pocket watch as a test case. After some experimentation, I fitted a 2x converter ring to the lens before attaching to the Canon, and used a Manfrotti tripod for attaching the camera. The Manfrotti's central tube lifts up and then swings down horizontally at a 90 degree angle so that the camera lens faces straight down.

I set the camera to "Aperture Value" - the manual lens has no connection with the camera electronics - and set the ISO value to "auto". This combination produced an ISO of 5,000, which is very high and creates a lot of noise at high res, but I wanted to see what shutter speed and ISO the AV setting would produce automatically - which turned out to be 1/80th of a second. Next time I'll fix the ISO on 100 and use a cable release. The White Balance is set to daylight - a rather dull daylight this morning! This was shot in raw and processed using Lightroom 4.4.

Anyway, here's the best of the small batch of pics:

post-64-0-82466500-1436262838_thumb.jpg

It certainly is getting better. Is that a sapphire balance jewel I see?

Geo - I do believe it is - the Bunn Special was a superbly made movement, as you know.

Dan - what are the advantages of Magic Lantern? I'm just getting to grips with the Canon firmware!

Here is a link to the WIKI:  http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide

These are the features I use:

Zebras- which show under and overexposed areas http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#zebras

Dual-ISO- takes two images at the same time, one at low ISO and one at high ISO.  This is done with alternating lines giving you incredible HDR http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/?topic=7139.0

Focus Peaking- High-contrast lines will be marked by blinking dots showing which part of the image is in focus.

Magic Zoom- gives you a 5X zoom box that you can confirm focus

Timelapse-  automatic shutter actuations using preset time between frames e.g. 10sec between pics

Sound Triggering-  A sound triggers the shutter e.g. a clap

Light Triggering- Fast bursts of light trigger shutter e.g. lightning

Motion Detect- Triggers shutter on motion

Plus it offers lots more e.g. raw video, HDR video, Astro, expanded bracketing, Stacking, etc....

All my travel pics are Dual-ISO for years now, for macro I use Magic Zoom and Focus peaking. For the first couple of watches I overhauled, I had a tripod setup and would use sound triggering with a clap to take the photo-  Stopped when I realized I was waking my young son up at night.

Hope this helps,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got round to testing out the old Super Takumar 55mm lens on the Canon EOS 70D body today - and grabbed my Elgin 571 "B.W. Raymond" pocket watch as a test case. After some experimentation, I fitted a 2x converter ring to the lens before attaching to the Canon, and used a Manfrotti tripod for attaching the camera. The Manfrotti's central tube lifts up and then swings down horizontally at a 90 degree angle so that the camera lens faces straight down.

I set the camera to "Aperture Value" - the manual lens has no connection with the camera electronics - and set the ISO value to "auto". This combination produced an ISO of 5,000, which is very high and creates a lot of noise at high res, but I wanted to see what shutter speed and ISO the AV setting would produce automatically - which turned out to be 1/80th of a second. Next time I'll fix the ISO on 100 and use a cable release. The White Balance is set to daylight - a rather dull daylight this morning! This was shot in raw and processed using Lightroom 4.4.

Anyway, here's the best of the small batch of pics:

attachicon.gifElgin 571 2015 07 07-6.jpg

Can I ask if there is some special tripod head you are using  I mean model  ofc

In fact how do you have it set up picture would be easier question so I have idea for myself thanks :D

Edited by Cheaptrick

The tripod is a Manfrotto MT190XPRO3 - the centre column can be swivelled to form a 90ø angle with the legs. The head is a 3-way screw-on head with a quick release for the camera. The whole setup allows the camera lens to face down vertically - pointing at the subject, in this case, a watch.

post-64-0-32232300-1437673683_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-49175500-1437673667_thumb.jpg