What am I?

Here is a lady's pendant watch.  The movement is 16mm diameter.  It is pin-set.  There is a "1" and "2" stamped in the non-dial side, and "362012" stamped on the dial side.  These are the only marks I see.  The dial is enamel.  Hour & minute hands only.  I believe it has a barrel escapement (notch or slot cut into balance staff just under the wheel?).  The case is sterling (marked .935) and stamped with a rampant bear and"331340   5"

The balance staff lower pivots is sheared off, and the top pivot is bent.  Additionally, I believe the pivot jewels are broken also.  These are NOT shock mounted.

I will look for a donor movement if I can find the movement cal./model numbers.  Can you guys help?

Thanks and best regards,

- Tim

IMG_6712.JPG

IMG_6713.JPG

IMG_6714.JPG

IMG_6715.JPG

IMG_6717.JPG

IMG_6718.JPG

IMG_6720.JPG

IMG_6721.JPG

Hi and welcome to the forum,  looks like what you have got is a five bar cylinder movement, getting spares is a tough one, You may be able to fine a repairer who can replace the staff tampons (pivots) as they can be removed and replaced a task that requires skill and the correct tooling.  You may be able to Identify the movement through the bestfit books.  They are nice watches non the less.

• Like 1

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

watchweasol has put you on the right track regarding the movement. There is nothing in the bestfit books about these movements so don't bother looking. Even if you find what you think is a replacement movement I can tell you the parts are not interchangeable. These movements are Swiss/ French made near the border to both countries. 

Hello folks, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Do these ever come up on ebay?  Is there a caliber or references I can be looking for?  Even if I had to replace the entire movement, I'd like to at least keep the dial and case.  And it would be good if the original hands fit whatever movement I wind up with.  I am a learning (beginner) watchmaker, and not without some mechanical skill, but I'm not up to replacing the staff.  Finding a replacement balance wheel assembly would be preferable.

Thanks for the help!

- Tim

Yes you will find them on ebay. No cal or ref as I have already said parts are not interchangeable. It does not have a balance staff it has a cylinder  which watchweasol has already pointed out. Here are a few photos so you can see the difference. A cylinder movement is not a good place to start for a beginner.

Photo 1 Cylinder. Photo 2 Balance staff. Photo 3 Cylinder escapement. Photo 4 Balance staff escapement also called an Anchor escapement.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

cylinderescapement.jpg

Lever-escapement.jpg

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1

Hi Tim  Sterling advice from Old Hippy, these are difficult watches for the professional so as advised not good at all for the beginner. Either take it to a repair shop (which I think would refuse the repair) or put it away and gain the skills required. As mentioned they do turn up on Ebay but parts are not interchangeable. You may strike lucky and find one the same but doubtful,  all the best in your endevour.       

I have since changed computers and lost a few former bookmarks in the process, but if I can locate my source again for new cylinders and tampons, I will post the link here.  But you'll need more than just parts.

I use a special set of punches in my staking set, cylinder punches, to adjust or disassemble cylinder staffs.  They were no easier to come by than anything else to do with these kinds of movements.  Old Hippy is wise about this; these are not good practice movements for beginners.  They are most often ebauche movements with few or no markings, varied provenance, and often have parts which were adjusted to fit the individual movement.

That said, by no means are we encouraging you to give up on it.  But we do recommend that it is to soon to begin work on this kind of watch.  There is lots more to learn first.  I have worked on several cylinder escapement watches that other technicians would not touch.  And I learned first hand why they were apprehensive.  These are very different.  Different rules sometimes apply here.

• Like 1