Moebius 9415 on Timex pallet pins... Bad idea?

Assembling a Timex today, I used Moebius 9415 pallet jewel grease on the brass pallet pins. Why did I do that? I was reading something earlier this week that described the speed with which 9101 can flow away from an open surface like the pins and escape wheel and thought I'd give 9415 a try.

The movement is running, but taking longer than usual to get up to a healthy looking amplitude. It has stopped occasionally, especially if I install the minute wheel and cannon pinion with the extra drag they add. I have checked the end shake adjustment screw, tightened until the balance seizes then backed off until it's free.

This was a full disassembly service, and my first on a Timex automatic so there could be another issue still, but it was running when I started.

So about the 9415 - is it too heavy for the thin brass pallet? Is it entirely unsuitable? I do not wish to take this thing back apart but would dunk the whole works in Ronsonol and relube it if you think that's warranted.

9415 is definitely to viscous for a balance wheel. I too find 9010 too light, so I mix 9010 with hp1300.

You don't have to dunk the whole movement in lighter fluid. Just remove the balance and clean off the grease with a brush soaked in lighter fluid. Unless you used 9415 everywhere else. 🤣

9415 is perfectly fine for a pin lever escapement of any size. I would say it's the best escapement lubricant period; I use it on everything from tiny ladies movements* to platform escapements, nothing works better.

*On something ultra-microscopic like a LeCoultre 101 I do use the smallest amount imaginable of 9010, with pallets and escape wheel epilamed. But 9415 does work here- just with a bit of an amplitude drop. As usually do those movements for companies, and they "must" see 270+ amplitude, I use the 9010. My feeling is that long term the 9415 is still better. On reasonably sized movements (5x7"' and up haha) definitely 9415 is the best for performance and longevity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

9415 is perfectly fine for a pin lever escapement of any size. I would say it's the best escapement lubricant period; I use it on everything from tiny ladies movements* to platform escapements, nothing works better.

Thanks very much for the info. The movement has continued running overnight, crown-down while it first only really ran dial-up. It's still very weak in vertical positions but that can probably be solved with an adjustment to the v-conic endshake/sideshake screw.

I do feel like I probably used way too much 9415 so I may still yet clean it off and redo it. It's early to know though. All of the 5 or 6 unjeweled Timex movements I've serviced so far have taken about 2 full days before they settle into a strong beat.

Update: I let it run 48 hours and it is doing really well, strong in all positions with the dial and hands installed. So I don't know why this one took twice as long as any other I've worked on to distribute its oils and stabilize. I did not clean off the escapement and redo the lubrication.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mbwatch said:

Update: I let it run 48 hours and it is doing really well, strong in all positions with the dial and hands installed. So I don't know why this one took twice as long as any other I've worked on to distribute its oils and stabilize. I did not clean off the escapement and redo the lubrication.

Good to know this mb. My missus is doing a disney character, v conic when she gets her arse into gear. I shall make her aware of this. 👍

• 1 month later...