Fusee skeleton clock

Stuart2

Hi i have a skeleton clock it appears to be cast brass and hand made, it seems to be quite old and the materials it is made from seem to be of good quality, however the workmanship is very poor, e.g the plates have not been finished properly in corners the crossing out of the wheels is bad and there are tool marks left on some of the components. Has anyone got any ideas on the age or maybe the reason for the poor workmanship. 

20220919_110436.jpg

20220919_120253.jpg

20220919_120332.jpg

20220919_120442.jpg

20220919_120634.jpg

• Like 2

At one time skeleton clocks were thought to be apprentice pieces due to the description you have given. I can tell you that is not so. What you have and described is common and most are in the same condition, finished to a poor standard compared  to other fusee movements. The design of the plates are very common (Steeple) and a very basic movement. Spade shape are the hands. Be very careful with cast brass what ever you do do not clean it in an ultrasonic machine as it and will damage cast brass. It's  Victorian I would say. Never replace the line with that wire that you can buy as it will wear the thin sides of the cone and mark the barrel. Nylon coated of the synthetic line is best.  

Edited by oldhippy

@oldhippy hi, thank you very much for your comments, its a real surprise for me to think that a clockmaker could come up with this level of craftmanship, as you can see from the pictures the filing has not been finished properly into the corners and holes have been drilled twice because the 1st one was in the wrong place, do you think i should leave it as it is or finish it to a better standard.